The WVU project for the homeless

WVU

My wife and I commute together each day. She works in one of the nicer buildings in Coral Gables. Every time I drop her off I see that homeless people are sleeping right on the pavement in a small park across the street. It has been raining hard every day for over a week. I told my wife it must suck to live and sleep right out in the open especially in the rain. So we decided to do something about it.

I just ordered a small lightweight tent (1.2 pounds) that we were going to use to practice for our Appalachian Trail hike. I figured I don't need it yet so I was going to walk over and set it up for someone over there.

This morning I grabbed the tent and after dropping off the wife, I walked over to a guy who I have seen for the past couple weeks. I was hesitant to approach the guy, but I did anyway. He heard me when I got close and sat upright. I noticed right away that this person was actually a female. She was basically sleeping on a pile of clothes right out in the open.

I told her I had something for her and began putting together the tent, describing exactly how to do it. She listened intently to my brief instructions. It only took 2-3 minutes to set up. I mentioned that I have seen her out here in the rain and I wanted her to have a dry place to sleep as well as a little bit of privacy. I also went over how to pack it up tightly so she could take it with her wherever she went.

The woman, speaking very softly, explained that she was from Tenneesee and didn't have any family around. She was very appreciative and thanked me and said a quick prayer to herself. I asked her if there were other homeless around and she pointed to a few other vacant piles and said they sleep there but to be careful because one of them was heavy into drugs. I told her we all have our problems and that I would be back another day with tents for everyone. She thanked and blessed me for my kindness. Before I left, I walked back to my car and grabbed my lunch (leftover pizza and a banana) and gave it to her. With tears in her eyes she thanked me again and I was on my way. As I got back to my car I glanced back and she was moving her stuff into the tent.

It felt good. Really good. I think I am going to order 20 more tents and drive around the city and set these up for the homeless.

I secretly snapped a quick photo as to not embarrass her. I will post it soon.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the tents...was it in an urban area?

Reason why I mention is this.....if there are shelters in the area that have openings, the police will just take them and probably throw them out...

DOJ came with a statement of interest with the homeless sleeping on public property...they said it was allowed if there were no shelter beds in the area.  Reasoning behind it was that sleeping is a life sustaining activity and to deny it, dreprived them of the 8th amendment of cruel and unusual punishment.  No shelter beds then the police probably will not do anything..

shelters in the area then they will be targets

gl

Made a lot of stupid videos at this site and never have done any dealing with the homeless or deprived, never given any tents away(great gesture on WVU part), but give food and clothes away routinely.

Heres an idea for WVU and others.......quite a few homeless people have dogs as pets, giving these people dog food is a great gift for them.

quite a few homeless people have dogs as pets, giving these people dog food is a great gift for them.

Why wouldn't you just give the homeless guy food?  The dogs can eat out of the fucking garbage.  I guess so could the homeless guy, so why bother giving either of them food?

Couple of weeks ago, saw a homeless guy in a wheelchair, holding his sign with both hands, moving his wheelchair back on the median with his feet.  Throws up his hood on his big green army jacket, drops his head straight down...Wow, what do you know, staring at a fucking smartphone behind the sign he's got propped up on his lap.

fuck them all.

Saw one up at big bear walking out of a starbucks, with her coffee lid off blowing on it while steam is pouring out.  Goes to her shopping cart starts pushing it across the lot at 7 in the morning.  Now she's either putting on a helluva show (unlikely) or she's actually homeless, in which case why does she have starbucks?  She get it for free?  If so, why doesn't she go to the 7-11 40 yards down the road and beg for coffee.  And how does a homeless person end up in Big Bear, why not take a hike 30 miles down where it's 40 degrees warmer?

Everytime I see a homeless person, I'm blown away at how stupid they are or how incredibly good of a scammer they are.

it's almost impossible to help people when the government is an all-consuming beast

even feeding the homeless can get you arrested in many areas

They were arresting people in Ft Lauderdale for feeding the homeless. A year ago they arrested an 80 year old man who has been feeding them for 20 years. That is more than fucked up

In fact, this is better idea than posting videos of our cribs.

We should start a special ONE thread where we are helping others, much like you have done.....with pics/videos!!!

Not a good idea. These people have pride and may not want to be videoed. If you want to help do it because it makes you feel better not to prove how good of a person you are to others.

Nice thing to do wvu.

Why wouldn't you just give the homeless guy food? The dogs can eat out of the fucking garbage. I guess so could the homeless guy, so why bother giving either of them food?

Couple of weeks ago, saw a homeless guy in a wheelchair, holding his sign with both hands, moving his wheelchair back on the median with his feet. Throws up his hood on his big green army jacket, drops his head straight down...Wow, what do you know, staring at a fucking smartphone behind the sign he's got propped up on his lap.

fuck them all.

Saw one up at big bear walking out of a starbucks, with her coffee lid off blowing on it while steam is pouring out. Goes to her shopping cart starts pushing it across the lot at 7 in the morning. Now she's either putting on a helluva show (unlikely) or she's actually homeless, in which case why does she have starbucks? She get it for free? If so, why doesn't she go to the 7-11 40 yards down the road and beg for coffee. And how does a homeless person end up in Big Bear, why not take a hike 30 miles down where it's 40 degrees warmer?

Everytime I see a homeless person, I'm blown away at how stupid they are or how incredibly good of a scammer they are.

Ted, you are heartless. I hope you are never in a grave situation yourself.

Ted, if giving away dog food, always food for the individual also.........purchase dog food at the dollar store and stow in truck, anytime have extra food to give away, usually try to find person with a dog and kill two birds with one stone........many homeless here in Vegas have dogs.

Plus if the dog food is good then both can eat it too