The WVU project for the homeless

WVU

My original thought was I could help her get on her feet and land a job. I gave her money for interview clothes and bus fare. Unfortunately this didn't pan out.

I did something similar for a friend who had a drug problem. Over and over and over. I even got her a job with my company. She did very well for the one week she showed up...ended a ten year friendship. I never spoke to her again.

Very smart girl with a great job before she got into cocaine/crack. I have never touched the stuff, and never will. I have my own demons with the pills, but never affected my job performance. It is very frustrating and maddening to attempt to help someone who doesn't want help, or won't do the work to help themselves , or is just simply weak in willpower.

Does she still have the interview clothes WVU? I bought so many things for my friend. Gas grill, racquetball racket, clothes, sundries, every time when I thought she was in a good place I would try to give her that final push. Eventually she would screw up, get evicted and leave all the stuff behind, or have her stuff "stolen." One time I found out where her dealer lived. I had been out with friends, was pretty intoxicated, and went on a save mission. Knocked on the door and had a guy with a gun come out pointed at me. Likely I was drunk enough to not have it affect me too much. Stupid, naive girl from South Dakota out to save the world. If the things that are you giving her repeatedly go missing, I would think very hard about replacing them on a consistent basis.

Dress For Success is a very good program that provides very nice interview type chlothing to women in need. I would direct her there. I'm sure they have one in your area. What type of work does she do? I guess I better read the whole thread.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WVU you think you do this more for yourself or for them honestly?

A lot of people do this to go home and feel a little better about themselves rather then the fact they are actually helping.

Do you think that matters to the person who was helped? Someone will rape a woman tonight bc it feels good to him, WVU will give to a homeless man bc it feels good to him - and he may wear it on his sleeve. In a world with more problems than we can count, it seems futile dissecting this to find another.

There are people having a better day bc WVU did something for them, whether he jerkoffs about it or cries himself to sleep bc he couldn't do more, is not what matters. Someone who was once a child who dreamt of being a superhero is now homeless, WVU gave that person comfort and a smile. Tearing down the semantics of his motives, as if they matter, could deter WVU from continuing to help -- would that be a point worth winning for the FFFs on WVUs scorecard? Not to the Ttp I know.

❤️

• 2 months later...

Are you still doing this? The storm made me think of the thread

I have stopped the distribution of the tents.  A couple are still being used along US1.  I get mixed reactions from people about my tent work.  Many don't like it, but the user certainly appreciate it.

Wvu you should spend thanksgiving at a soup kitchen. Did it once for community service. Didn't want to be there but with in 20 mins i enjoyed talking to the people and seeing smiles on their faces.

every year I try to set something like this up with my kids, but plans always change. Some day, Relish King.  Some day.   :cheers