The WVU project for the homeless

WVU

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate you taking this project serious instead of the normal bashing I get from most everyone else. You are a good soul and have grown on me the last 6 months or so. Cheers

Well the way I see it the more we see of this, the more we can hope. And hope is all we have some days. You, me, that homeless lady......

All of us.

Well, sadly enough, T is back sleeping on the ground. I suspect the guys mowing the grass threw away her tent so she is back to square one. What should I do here? I could get her another tent. The last one lasted almost a month. I guess we shall see how long the next one lasts.

This has been bothering me all morning. I feel vested in this girl's life now. I would like to offer her more assistance, but how? Zero chance I let her move into my house which is an hour away anyway. I don't want to just hand her a bunch of cash either. She needs a job and a dry place to live.

I am going to try to talk to her later this afternoon. Maybe ask her about her work skills, etc, and try to help her get a job. No one should have to live like that. :(

Well, sadly enough, T is back sleeping on the ground. I suspect the guys mowing the grass threw away her tent so she is back to square one. What should I do here? I could get her another tent. The last one lasted almost a month. I guess we shall see how long the next one lasts.

This has been bothering me all morning. I feel vested in this girl's life now. I would like to offer her more assistance, but how? Zero chance I let her move into my house which is an hour away anyway. I don't want to just hand her a bunch of cash either. She needs a job and a dry place to live.

I am going to try to talk to her later this afternoon. Maybe ask her about her work skills, etc, and try to help her get a job. No one should have to live like that. :(

What state are you in

This is South Florida

Story is very sad but so common.

So many homeless in S Fla.  At least they know where their chances are better for warmer temperatures

versus the north.  I did some work in my younger days for The Hunger Project in S Fla. 

Every exit off the I-95 you have the sun weathered hungry and homeless asking for handouts.  

Many have shelters to go to at night when it gets bad.  This winter was not a nice one and very wet, making 

the outdoor life more difficult for the homeless.

WVU you took it to the next level and helped this person.  Perhaps get a writer from the Miami Herald into the

picture and it could be a good feature that could help the outcome for many in the area as a result if a story

and study could come about.

Call a mattress outlet and I am sure they have some to get rid of as they collect a buyer's old one after delivering

a new one. Then you can line the thing with a waterproof mattress cover.  Tarps from construction companies to

cover up...speak to the shelters around and they'll steer you in the right direction.  

Whether told what you did/do is right or wrong, I would have done it exactly the same.  A good heart that you have.

Don't ever take any in to your residence or property as you could be fined for operating a shelter without a permit.

Aside from the dangers of one having a mentally driven outburst.  (Chickadee shared valuable knowledge ref this shit.)

I'll buy a tent for your cause.  Let me know.  

GL 

This is South Florida

Story is very sad but so common.

So many homeless in S Fla.  At least they know where their chances are better for warmer temperatures

versus the north.  I did some work in my younger days for The Hunger Project in S Fla. 

Every exit off the I-95 you have the sun weathered hungry and homeless asking for handouts.  

Many have shelters to go to at night when it gets bad.  This winter was not a nice one and very wet, making 

the outdoor life more difficult for the homeless.

WVU you took it to the next level and helped this person.  Perhaps get a writer from the Miami Herald into the

picture and it could be a good feature that could help the outcome for many in the area as a result if a story

and study could come about.

Call a mattress outlet and I am sure they have some to get rid of as they collect a buyer's old one after delivering

a new one. Then you can line the thing with a waterproof mattress cover.  Tarps from construction companies to

cover up...speak to the shelters around and they'll steer you in the right direction.  

Whether told what you did/do is right or wrong, I would have done it exactly the same.  A good heart that you have.

Don't ever take any in to your residence or property as you could be fined for operating a shelter without a permit.

Aside from the dangers of one having a mentally driven outburst.  (Chickadee shared valuable knowledge ref this shit.)

I'll buy a tent for your cause.  Let me know.  

GL 

that is a very good idea.  The only problem is homelessness is the hottest topic that no one will talk about around here.  I do have a contact at the Herald.  I will drop him a line and see what he says

for anyone who would like to contribute to the cause, I found a site that does what I did on a large scale.  There are mixed reactions from giving the homeless tents as I posted earlier in this thread.  Most people want the homeless out of sight and out of mind which is what is contributing to the problem.

http://www.tents4homeless.org/donate/

Does she appear to be using?

she says no and even speaks out against other homeless people who do, but sadly we all know that could be an act.  She seems to sleep all day long.  She doesn't look very healthy.  She looked pretty bad the last time I saw her.  I would say her health is deteriorating pretty quickly.

she says no and even speaks out against other homeless people who do, but sadly we all know that could be an act.  She seems to sleep all day long.  She doesn't look very healthy.  She looked pretty bad the last time I saw her.  I would say her health is deteriorating pretty quickly.

Depression kills. She has to get help.

You can buy her 100 tents, it won't save her if she's not willing to save herself.

Is there a free mental health clinic around? Tell her you'll hook her up again if she agrees to get help.

• 4 months later...

another update:

T is still living in a tent in the same spot.  After I gave her tent #3 she was MIA for a while, but after a couple weeks she was back, but in a different tent.  I suppose someone else saw her plight and bought her a new tent.  She has been living in this one for a couple months now.  I am extremely surprised the city of Coral Gables has allowed this to continue.  She is living about 50 feet from 200k+ cars for sale in a lot.  If I owned the car lot (The Collection) I would have a big problem with it. There has been no other tents or homeless living in the area other than her.  The corner of US1 and Ponce DeLeon which is adjacent to her spot and the car dealer has a guy panhandling for money every single day from 11-7.  That has been his corner for at least a decade.  He is not homeless though, as I have seen him leaving his house in the semi ghetto across US1.  He must make enough to be worth it.  He is a very nice guy and most people are friendly towards him.  I no longer give him cash, but I do give him food now and then which he gladly accepts.

so in 4 months she's on a 4th tent?

wvu... speaking from experience, at some point these people that you help will stab and rob you

It's been 5 1/2 months now.  I think the landscapers had removed the tent at least twice and probably was stolen another time.  These tents are cheap and the Florida sun is probably paying it's toll as well.

Homelessness a major problem. Always said if I hit a major lottery that I'd help out the homeless. I have volunteered passing out food before and it is a great feeling to help. My cousin goes to skid row and passes out blankets, shoes, food etc.

Homelessness a major problem. Always said if I hit a major lottery that I'd help out the homeless. I have volunteered passing out food before and it is a great feeling to help. My cousin goes to skid row and passes out blankets, shoes, food etc.

does he pass out tents?  Some cities really frown on that.  Many people feel like I am doing more harm than good, but at least T isn't sleeping in the mud like she was when I first saw her.

i used to think the same way

now i think it creates more problems than it solves... animals are supposed to be survival of the fittest, you don't see lions taking their food to random other lions

the notion that we should feel sorry for people that have it worse than us, or that we are somehow obligated to help total strangers, is a silly one