O/T Paint...Help!?

IAG

I'm remodeling my childhood home (which is weird enough,) but trying to sort thru paint swatches, decide sheens etc, is proving very stressful.

After weeks and 20 sample cans, I finally picked the paint color. I thought I had it down, and was almost finished, however against the advice of my painter, I had him do all the ceilings with a satin finish..it looked fine to me. I don't like flat paint it looks dirty to me.

My brother was here  over the weekend however, and immediately noticed it, and said I should have used flat paint on the ceilings.  It would never even occur to me to notice the sheen of someone's ceiling paint.   Of course he was looking at it knowing it had been just done, but really from an aesthetic and sales standpoint, how important is this?   He thinks I should have them all redone which will be a big PITA, plus additional expense.   I don't want to do it, but if it is something so clear-cut, I guess I will have them redone.

Any painters or realtors out there who can shed some light on this?  Apparently light shedding is the problem with not using a flat paint. I don't know..  thoughts?    Do people really notice these things? 

Thanks all. I guess I have my answer although I still don't see it.   This house was built in 1966, so it has the "popcorn" acoustic type ceilings..does this matter at all?    

Would this significantly matter when I sell the house?   I am just trying to decide if I should redo it right now.  My painter has been here for a month now (although was really just the dog sitter when I was in Cabo) and I really want to get my house back to myself.

Thanks all. I guess I have my answer although I still don't see it.   This house was built in 1966, so it has the "popcorn" acoustic type ceilings..does this matter at all?    

Would this significantly matter when I sell the house?   I am just trying to decide if I should redo it right now.  My painter has been here for a month now (although was really just the dog sitter when I was in Cabo) and I really want to get my house back to myself.

You should of mentioned that from the start.lol. you still might still see high points and low points. do you know when the popcorn was put on?

Not sure what year but popcorn ceilngs before a certain year contained asbestos.

The issue is popcorn or acoustic spray on ceiling treatments are likely to contain asbestos, a known carcinogen. Popcorn ceilings were very popular from the 1950 until 1978, when the application was banned by the US government, because it allowed builders to obscure bad sheet rock installations.

You should of mentioned that from the start.lol. you still might still see high points and low points. do you know when the popcorn was put on?

Not sure what year but popcorn ceilngs before a certain year contained asbestos.

I should have been didn't think about it..sorry lol...  I assume when the house was built in 1966, but if there was an asbestos issue, my dad would have addressed it at some point. 

So you are saying it is not as much of an issue though with the popcorn ceiling as it would be if it were a regular flat ceiling right?  

I don't know much about painting.  They're just saying I'm an expert because I painted a broad's place once and even paid for her paint... and got nothing out of it.

From what I hear, the ceilings should always go flat.  Flat doesn't show the imperfections.  I don't see many ceilings with a sheen.  Paint the ceiling a nice Swiss Coffee Flat.

But, honestly, I don't see anyone NOT buying the place simply because the ceiling has a sheen.  That would be a stupid reason.

If you're going to be there a while then just leave it.  It's not that big of a deal.