Did a colon cancer screening test - now Dr wants to see me ASAP

plommer

So on my last visit to my family Dr in Dec I asked about getting checked for colon cancer as I had some pain in my lower abdomen I was concerned about.

Asked about getting a colonoscopy and Dr said they usually wait until you are 50 yrs old to do that but instead gave me a colon cancer screening kit to take home and complete (stool samples 3 days in a row) and put in the mail to the lab.

In Dec I set a new appt for March 30 to renew meds etc. I left the screening kit in my closet and figured I better get it done so the lab can have the results in time for my next appt.

So 2 weeks ago I sent the kit to the lab and yesterday the Dr office called. I missed the call. First thing this morning Dr office calls again and says I need to come in Thursday. I told the receptionist I have an appt for Mar 30 and she says no, the Dr needs to see you as soon as possible to go over the test results.

So now I'm stressing a bit.

Best case scenario polyps.

Worst case scenario colon cancer.

Cancer is a See you next Tuesday .

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandmother had polyps about 2 years ago. Was an outpatient procedure that took 2 hours. Sedation but they inflate the bowel to remove them which causes gas. So you'll be disoriented and gassy for a couple of hours after the operation if it turns out to be that.

Hope everything turns out ok plom.

I have done 2 colonoscopies, first one 8 years ago found a lot of bacteria had to take 8 pills of antibiotics, just did one this past October, Dr. scraped 2 polyps out.  Don`t mess around, colon cancer 90% preventable, just had a sister in law died because she didn`t do colonoscopy.

Thank you for sharing this, Plommer.

I have a family member currently battling cancer and completely agree with your statement concerning that disease.

I hate it with a passion.

Having said that, I really pray and hope your doctor's visit goes well, and commend you for taking affirmative action to have it checked out quickly.

Hopefully it is nothing all too serious.

Count me in as part of your support team.

My sincere best wishes sir.

I hate to say it but you're fucked. My wife is a reception at an oncology office. No way Doc wants to see you right away without something coming back on screening. Keep us posted. Good luck. I had my 1st colonoscopy 4 years ago. Came back clean as a whistle

Could be anything. IBS, Crohn's, internal hemorrhoids.

Let's stay positive.

You're right Billy but here's the rub. Forget about seeing the dr after a screening like this. You can't even get them on the phone when it's nothing serious, since obamacare. They have someone call, this is what you have IBS dr prescribed this. Take it and we will see you in 6 months. You can't get facetime anymore unless it's something slightly serious. I hope it turns out ok

You're right Billy but here's the rub. Forget about seeing the dr after a screening like this. You can't even get them on the phone when it's nothing serious, since obamacare. They have someone call, this is what you have IBS dr prescribed this. Take it and we will see you in 6 months. You can't get facetime anymore unless it's something slightly serious. I hope it turns out ok

Not true in my case.

My Dr is easy to get a hold of and I see her every 3 months at least.

My doc is a Michigan resident that has setup shop across the river here in Canuckistan - she commutes daily to work in Canada then heads home to the Detroit suburbs.

She's not alone.

10% of the Dr's here in Windsor are Americans that choose to practice under the Ontario provincial government system rather than the system in Mich.

As a matter of fact when someone in Windsor is having a heart attack the ambulance usually heads across the border directly to the Henry Ford Heart Vascular Institute in Detroit by passing the local Windsor ER's.

Once stabilized they are returned to hospital in Windsor.

Pretty neat eh?

Oh and the treatment across the river in Detroit is covered by the government health insurance plan here in Ontario.

Canadians go to the front of the line at Detroit hospitals.

I forgot Stanley (plommer) lives in Canada. No obamacare. I seriously hope it's nothing. Just bracing you for worst. I'm stopping at church on the way home and saying a prayer for you

Thanks,

Truth is I'm ready for the worst case scenario.

Hoping its only something minor and I am looking forward to getting to the bottom of this thing though.

If I need treatment I'll git 'er done.

Little bit different over here Runner. We haven't caught up with that yet.