Quebec seeks to block access to non-government online gambling sites

plommer

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/04/03/quebec-seeks-to-block-access-to-non-government-online-gambling-sites.html

"Bill 74 is necessary to protect the health and safety of Quebecers because illegal sites don’t apply the same “responsible gaming rules” as sites run by the government and pose a “risk to the population.”"

This is the lie they expect intelligent Canadians to believe.

law experts say the legislation violates freedom of expression, contradicts federal telecommunications law and will likely be challenged in court by Internet companies and civil rights groups.

“I think the (Quebec) government doesn’t understand the Internet and frankly doesn’t understand the importance of an open and free Internet,” said the University of Ottawa’s Michael Geist, a renowned online-law expert.

“Net neutrality” is understood to mean that Internet companies should be neutral carriers of content and not favour some sites over others or block access to certain sites.

critics say the scheme amounts to censorship, that it is technically unworkable and that the province does not have the authority to regulate the Internet in this fashion.

“It is censorship. It’s blocking access to otherwise legally available sites in the interests of enhancing one’s gambling monopoly,” said Timothy Denton, chairman of the Canadian chapter of the Internet Society, a group that advocates keeping the Internet open and free. “A lot of countries try to do it, but we don’t call them liberal democracies.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/quebec-plan-to-block-gambling-sites-draws-cries-of-censorship/article27259448/

are there sites on indian land in Canada like Full Tilt poker used to be?

Yeah there are alot of sites whose servers operate on the Kahnawake reserve outside Montreal. SportsInteraction is also based there.

This will not affect them. They will still operate but Quebec wants to ban access via the internet.

I say it never happens as the internet is under jurisdiction of the federal government not provincial.

Plus its offensive to Canadians. Censorship won't be tolerated and shouldn't be.

Quebec politicians are fucking nuts.

are there sites on indian land in Canada like Full Tilt poker used to be?

Kawnawake is across the mercier bridge from montreal. the highway goes through it to get to chateauguay on the south shore. It's considered Mohawk land. I've been through there a bunch. Very big wealth disparity in the tribe because of the gambling although it gets slushed around in the families. So the typical reservation problems but there's a ton of escalades and stuff and the dealerships close to it do brisk business. I've lived in chateauguay very briefly but you regularly hear automatic weapon fire from the reserve. There's also problems with packs of wild dogs roaming because their animal control sucks ass. And then there's all the drugs/cigarette running because surete de quebec turns a blind eye.

The issue of native rights is contentious. a long history of problems in quebec and it's political suicide to tackle it (go read about the oka crisis for more info). My guess is the mohawks won't protest until it hurts their wallets but maybe they are just banking on the legislation never getting ratified because of the various issues surrounding it. If it does though then you can expect to see mercier blocked off by them and maybe another standoff like oka.

if the govt didnt tax then maybe they could have best interests at heart but they want their slice and tell what to do with the rest....

look like someone got paid to push this in QUE

No, Quebec governments have always been out of whack historically. They are a joke. Proven to have the most corrupt government in Canada.

They have dumb laws and "language police" that enforce sign laws that make it illegal for English to appear on a sign if it is the same size as the French words.

French must always be predominant on signs. Store owners are fined for not complying.

Only in Quebec.

The Quebec gov't feels threatened because they are surrounded on all sides by Anglophones. Over 300 million of them.

Yeah there are alot of sites whose servers operate on the Kahnawake reserve outside Montreal. SportsInteraction is also based there.

This will not affect them. They will still operate but Quebec wants to ban access via the internet.

I say it never happens as the internet is under jurisdiction of the federal government not provincial.

Plus its offensive to Canadians. Censorship won't be tolerated and shouldn't be.

Quebec politicians are fucking nuts.

nobody seems to care about the current budget measures in quebec though

it won't be a problem until it is then shit will hit the fan

i hope it's fought by the ISP's and whatever privacy/gambling lawyers the lobbies throw against it

but i'm not taking any chances anyway

since quebec is the most corrupt place in north america and nothing surprises me anymore

Sure loto quebec sends out questionnaires and see it's cstmrs use other books for a greater percentage of their online wagering.

So the government cant figure out the simple solution of increasing their sports payouts to match vegas and offshore line payouts.

The tax hungry money grabbers want all they can get.  F them