Is Floyd Mayweather Gonna Fight Conor McGregor?

Downsouth

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2638358-floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-reportedly-close-to-agreeing-vegas-boxing-fight?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Floyd Mayweather Jr. will reportedly return to the ring to take on UFC star Conor McGregor in a billion-dollar boxing match in Las Vegas, Nevada. 

According to the Sun’s James Beal and Matt Heath-Smith, the two parties have been negotiating for a while and agreed to the fight earlier this month but still need to settle the purse and paperwork. 

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/article/media_slots/photos/002/443/176/hi-res-a24645482e5bf5dba09c24911dc8bd62_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=433&q=85

Rey Del Rio/Getty Images

Per the report Friday, Mayweather is set to earn at least £100 million ($144.8 million), while McGregor will have to settle for £7 million ($10.1 million). The source added more details:

Floyd went mad after Conor said he would crush him and knock him out in 30 seconds, he’s obsessed with making Conor eat his words.

Floyd is calling the shots. It’s strictly boxing and Conor will have to lose roughly 25lbs.

It was agreed in principle on May 2, but Floyd wouldn’t reveal the identity of his opponent until last night when he told friends he’ll be fighting Conor.

McGregor challenged Mayweather to a fight back in January, according to Rob Burnett of the Daily Mirror. Per Gareth A. Davies of BT Sport (h/t James Orr of the Independent), he repeated his challenge in March, saying he would be willing to meet the undefeated Mayweather in a ring.

"I’m open to discussions, come at me," he said. "But I hold the key and it’s me who holds the key to the fight game.

"I am open minded, I am open to discussion, I love competition, I love fighting. It would be nice to make that fight if the fans were interested and wanted to see it."

Mayweather retired after his unanimous-decision win over Andre Berto in September last year, but per ESPN.com’s Darren Rovell, his company recently filed trademarks for "TMT 50" and "TBE 50.” The veteran’s record currently sits at 49-0, the same as former heavyweight champion Rocky Marciano.

With sole possession of the greatest undefeated record in boxing history within Mayweather's reach, most pundits assume the 39-year-old will return to the ring at some point. Per Showtime Sports, he recently revealed he has been talking to networks and could be open to a return:

Money said he’s looking for a bout worth “nine figures,” and McGregor, who is one of the biggest stars in combat sports today, would likely be an opponent who could make such a megafight happen.

The Notorious recently retired and then un-retired from the UFC, and Dana White, the organisation’s president, made it clear the Irishman won’t be competing at UFC 200 on July 9, per the Los Angeles TimesLance Pugmire. He was supposed to headline the event in a rematch with Nate Diaz, who beat McGregor at UFC 196 on March 5.

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/article/media_slots/photos/002/443/177/hi-res-19a2be0eae6d591dff6695e885fb7a9c_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=434&q=85

Brandon Magnus/Zuffa LLC/Getty Images

That leaves the 27-year-old southpaw without a bout on his schedule, although he’s expected to defend his featherweight title against the winner of the fight between former champion Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar at UFC 200.

While McGregor is known as an excellent stand-up fighter with superb hand speed and punching power, he would find himself out of his comfort zone against one of the greatest defensive fighters boxing has ever seen.

Money is almost unhittable and is a master of moving around the ring. Combined with his ability as a counter-puncher, he shouldn't be troubled by McGregor should they ever meet.

Nate Diaz outboxed McGregor...

Floyd sees another Manny opportunity here.

Money talks though.  Mcgregors corner would toss in the towel halfway through the 2nd round or Mayweather may get his 1st career KO 25 seconds in to the 2nd.

But can it even happen?  He has to retire from the UFC then would he be able to?  Since it isn't MMA?

Fight would be huge I'd imagine.  One of the top UFC guys getting in the ring to box a champ?  I'd think all MMA fans and all boxing fans would tune in.  I certainly would.

But still doubt it would ever happen

They need to make it a two fight contract.....one in the ring one in the cage......money would be endless

That's a damn good idea actually. Each would win their specialty easily, then have the deciding match be kickboxing, which would be much more of an even fight.

Only way this would ever work.if it is under MMA rules. Connor will get worked and beat to a pulp straight boxing... Floyd needs to MAN up,and fight GGG....

McGregor would get his ass kicked in a boxing ring.  Mayweather would get his ass kicked in the octagon.

Again with the GGG thing.  That's unfair to expect Mayweather to fight a boxer @ 160 pounds.  You guys are nuts.

If GGG is that big of a bad ass, why isn't he going up in weight to fight Light Heavyweights?