OT: How much should you save from your check?

D-Hustle

6% gets taken out and half of that gets matched for the 401k.

After that, about 75% of my checks go into savings.  If I'm disciplined.

Only bc your wife pays the bills.

My expenses are around around 30% of my net. (Food, gas, ultlities, mortgage, insurance)

So in theory I should be able to save a big chunk, but that seems to never happen.

there are savers in the world and there are spenders... neither is right or wrong

i'm more of a saver but hopefully will be retired at 45, so there was a point to it, rather than just being a cheapskate

Props to you , milky.

Had I not been a moron, could have retired mid -40s as well. Now it's looking like 65+

Fml

I put into 401k weekly, but savings outside that are tough for me right now. Bad decisions over the years with credit cards and loans on top of medical bills and medication for my wife and all that mess, plus daily living and travel keeps me stretched pretty tight week to week.

Finishing my degree soon in hopes of better pay/position down the road. Hope to start saving more soon. I'm not good with money.

There are many ways to save. For us 10% goes into 401k and 403b. For much of The past few years about another 10% invested into precious metals and another 10% into land acquisitions. Diversification is key. I still won't be able to retire for maybe 15 years. Putting 2 kids through college, even with free tuition, is expensive

need balance

i used to be save a very large portion of income

but a couple of years ago my well off uncle commended me because he did the same

except he has a fat wife and his life sucks and he's now old and will never change

so now i spend a lot more money to improve quality of life

eventually all those preparations will have to be used by either the saver while they still can or if not their heirs

that fact seems to be lost on most i have encountered

life is short!

Props to you , milky.

Had I not been a moron, could have retired mid -40s as well. Now it's looking like 65+

Fml

Kinda in the same boat...... Bought house and joined Union in the same month at the age of 29 and figured 25yr mortgage and 25yr pension I'm set, retire at 55.....

Fvcked it all up and now house will never be paid and I will be working until I'm 70+

Before Brick comes in here and reminds me of my moms money keep in mind she had me when she was 17 and both her parents are still alive and well in the their 90's so she ain't going anywhere...