Marlins Mega Deal ....WTF...MLB Teams Never Learn

maron

Giancarlo Stanton 13 years for $325M

They did not just watch the Royals and Giants battle it out in the World Series. What happened to the Angels...Poof

Over a decade guaranteed is mind boggling and they gave him 13 years.

Hope he brings in the fans like they think he can...damn

I actually think this is a very good deal for both sides.

The major difference between this deal and the Pujols/Verlander type deals is Stanton isn't signing this deal AFTER he has already had his mega prime years. He is only 25 and has, you'd assume, at least 8 prime years between 25-33 that will play out during this contract. In those years he should be worth more than $25 M per year and Marlins will happily overpay for his services towards the end of the contract if he delivers in the first 8-10 years

This is similar to the A Rod deal he signed in Texas and A Rod was absolutely worth every cent he was paid. And like the A Rod/Texas deal there is an opt out clause after i think 5 years and if Stanton is producing like he should be he will almost for sure opt out after 2019 and sign a new mega deal for more money like A Rod did (which wasn't as good of a contract for the Yankees as they were not getting as many prime years)

These are the types of guys that SHOULD be getting the 10 year contracts. Stanton, Trout, maybe Harper who hasnt proven it as much yet but still most feel is a sure thing to be a MVP soon. Id give all of those players 10 year deals for 200-350 M before I gave that money to Miggy, Pujols, Bautsita, Edwin, Votto, Cano etc.Get guys before their career years, not after

i always laugh at these teams that sign this massive comtracts id pick 5 team players over a big guy like cabreara or big papa.You dont win baseball by having one big player like you can in basketball.Just look at San Fran most dominating team in past 20 years and big hitter like sandavol was getting like 5mill a year.id take him anyday over victor martinez 16 mill a year

I think its a great deal for Stanton and not so bad for the Marlins. Shows they at least have some type of commitment to that team and seems there is an opt-out clause in either 2019 or 2020 which is likely used by Stanton if his numbers are still progressing and solid. So may end up being much less then 13 years and if its not his avg yearly salary isn't all that bad considering where contacts will be for top end players by then, seeing he is only 25 he has him prime in front of him as tripp mentioned and not behind him like many of those others getting large contracts.

Sure its always a risk to give a guy a 13 year deal but its a better contract then we have seen with others like pujols etc it seems in many ways.

i always laugh at these teams that sign this massive comtracts id pick 5 team players over a big guy like cabreara or big papa.You dont win baseball by having one big player like you can in basketball.Just look at San Fran most dominating team in past 20 years and big hitter like sandavol was getting like 5mill a year.id take him anyday over victor martinez 16 mill a year

Sandoval is going to possibly get a 100 M contract this offseason

And bill what are you talking about with Martinez? Victor was probably a top 3 hitter in baseball last year along with Trout and Stanton. His contract is high because he could decline heavy and quickly at his age but last year Martinez was worth easily 25 M + even as a dh

This is a reactionary signing in an era where baseball is changing...

you need one ace tops...Bumgardner...bunch of players that do little things well....

The playoffs have shown that the big bats lose weight when fed a diet of playoff pitching...the teams that can manufacture runs are coming back...

while power hitters will not be as devalued as say NFL running backs have become...it is a position on the decline and yet the world was given to this player...

At least Miami knew that either they could not build a team like SF/KC or that the fans would not give them the time to

pure reaction signing.

Guest boatboatboat

ESPN radio said these type of deals are driven by LOCAL tv deals.

Miami is on the verge of signing a mega TV deal and ESPN said the local network demanded they sign him for Miami to get the 800 million TV $ they were wanting.

Makes CENTS if you think about it.

Absolutely crazy deal, but it won't be fully realized as he can opt out in 5 years and you can almost guarantee he will unless he goes completely down the shitter.

From an organizational standpoint it's bad business, IMO. No baseball player is worth that much.

When a team like the Royals can almost win the World Series and the Marlins have two in the last 10 years without really "trying" in the sense that the Yankees and Red Sox do, it's proof that the sport is dominated by randomness even moreso than most.

This deal would work if he played in a major market with other millionaires. Stanton is too nice of a guy to not let the animosity this creates in the clubhouse from the pay differential not get to him. "Sorry, I went 0/4 and struck out with a chance to tie/win game. But I still made more than all of you combined for todays game." - G Stanton.