Is the Big 12 Now Equal to the other Four members of the Power Five?

maron

Big 12 football is the bottom of the barrel for football among the Power Five but they are making strides

Addition of a conference Championship Game

Now they are serious about adding the likes of BYU, Houston, Cincinnati , and other teams to at least get to twelve....

Should they be put on equal footing now for the College Football Playoff system?

Got one in place for 2017....dont know if they could just add the extra game without scheduling adjustments

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15930892/big-12-unanimously-votes-bring-back-conference-title-game-2017

Yeah. But they are going to have two divisions and the conference is already going to have a clear winner. A game between a first place team and a second place team is not a championship. And a game between a first place team and a third or fourth place team is a joke. It is an exhibition game. But you call it a championship and people will watch it. I don't get why people love this stuff so much.

Yeah. But they are going to have two divisions and the conference is already going to have a clear winner. A game between a first place team and a second place team is not a championship. And a game between a first place team and a third or fourth place team is a joke. It is an exhibition game. But you call it a championship and people will watch it. I don't get why people love this stuff so much.

I bring it up mostly for the following point..If they had a conference championship two years ago then Baylor TCU would have probably gone to the playoff instead of Ohio State

recent announcements by Big 12 commish give me more hope for this conference

I bring it up mostly for the following point..If they had a conference championship two years ago then Baylor TCU would have probably gone to the playoff instead of Ohio State

No, they wouldn't. TCU was ranked over Ohio State right until the final week and they jumped them because they wanted Ohio State in the championship because nobody wants to watch TCU. If Baylor had beaten TCU, which most likely would have happened, TCU would be out. A TCU win might have got them in but their odds were greatly reduced from being ranked ahead of Ohio State going into the final week in that scenario. This championship thing actually amkes it less likely that a TCU or Baylor can make it because they will have to play Texas or OU one extra time.

The conference can't take not expanding but they are going to go backward. I really don't know why Texas wants any part of this now. I think they will bolt pretty quick when they see the results.

On the other hand, if Texas gets to keep its network they may be happy and may just want to make everybody else happy since they want it so bad. Maybe they just want to keep the peace and keep raking in the $$$. The Big 12 is going to take a big step back in terms of competitiveness with the major conferences. It's going to get real ugly if they don't take Houston and BYU.

Does BYU finally fold and go to a conference...their college football schedule is really tough this year

They will do whatever it takes to join the Big 12 except play on Sundays. If they add Cincinnati and Memphis those could become disasters. Peple assume they will just get better but that hasn't happened with Kansas. They could just give up 50 every game.

If they let in Houston, there is a decent chance UH hires Art Briles after this year and then UH starts kicking Texas' ass.

Houston can be a national power. I don't think they want them in the conference.

No, they wouldn't. TCU was ranked over Ohio State right until the final week and they jumped them because they wanted Ohio State in the championship because nobody wants to watch TCU. If Baylor had beaten TCU, which most likely would have happened, TCU would be out. A TCU win might have got them in but their odds were greatly reduced from being ranked ahead of Ohio State going into the final week in that scenario. This championship thing actually amkes it less likely that a TCU or Baylor can make it because they will have to play Texas or OU one extra time.

absolutely they would have if they had a conf championship. either team

OU and Texas go to the national playoff regardless of a championship as you saw with OU last year.

If you look at the one time that a Big 12 team could have gone that was not Texas or OU, it was Kansas State with Michael Bishop. They lost to A&M, which was the equivalent of a fourth place team, in the championship and they dropped down to the Alamo Bowl because nobody wants KSU.

TCU would likely have lost to Baylor. The championship is not a good thing for Texas or OU and it is really bad for everybody else. But it is a lot more $$$.

The mystique of Oklahoma has worn off...some thought it might be back when they beat Bama in a bowl game but people realize now and maybe even then that it was the boredom of the Crimson TIde in that game that spurred it on.

They are looking at Colorado State as well

The mystique of Oklahoma has worn off...some thought it might be back when they beat Bama in a bowl game but people realize now and maybe even then that it was the boredom of the Crimson TIde in that game that spurred it on.

They are looking at Colorado State as well

It's not about mystique. It is about money. OU is a cash machine.

Yeah, Colorado State. This conference is on the verge of disaster. Also, Baylor is about to take a header and TCU will eventually become what they have always been. It can get really ugly, really fast.

Sooners have suffered more than a brand name than Notre Dame or USC...at least the Trjoans had their recent dynasty run under Caroll......

ND is down but nowhere near the Sooners....lots of cupcakes but without the elite horses to get them through in big games against elite Power five...

If they drop the game against the Cougars then it might be over for them for four years

Sooners have suffered more than a brand name than Notre Dame or USC...at least the Trjoans had their recent dynasty run under Caroll......

ND is down but nowhere near the Sooners....lots of cupcakes but without the elite horses to get them through in big games against elite Power five...

If they drop the game against the Cougars then it might be over for them for four years

It's never over for OU. They get all their players out of Texas.

over as in the national scene giving them too much of the benefit of the doubt...they will usually if not always in the top tier of the bIg 12 but not the national scene if they flop vs Houston...

I give them credit for a much stronger non con then they normall have with Houston and Ohio State but truth be told they did not think Houston would be near where they were when they made the schedule

over as in the national scene giving them too much of the benefit of the doubt...they will usually if not always in the top tier of the bIg 12 but not the national scene if they flop vs Houston...

I give them credit for a much stronger non con then they normall have with Houston and Ohio State but truth be told they did not think Houston would be near where they were when they made the schedule

Does not matter. OU is a historic program. They are a professional sports franchise worth millions. They will pay top dollar to keep that status whether it be paying a coach or paying the players if necessary. They will always be in the running.