NBA may move 2017 All Star game

Guest boatboatboat

Guest boatboatboat

Charlotte won’t host the 2017 All-Star Game. (Getty)

Without any movement by state legislators in North Carolina to change newly enacted laws targeted at the LGBT community, the NBA is pulling the 2017 All-Star Game out of Charlotte, league sources told The Vertical.

The NBA is focused on the New Orleans’ Smoothie King Center as the host for All-Star Weekend and the All-Star Game on Feb. 19, league sources told The Vertical.

For now, there are still other cities trying to lure the All-Star Game, sources said.

A formal announcement on the NBA’s withdrawal out of Charlotte is expected as soon as this week, league sources said Thursday.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver had threatened to move All-Star Weekend out of Charlotte unless a discriminatory North Carolina law aimed at the state’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community was changed – and time to do so has run out because of the logistics and planning the NBA needs to run its marquee midseason event, league sources said.

The issue is centered on North Carolina’s House Bill 2, a law that mandates transgender people use public restrooms corresponding to the sex listed on their birth certificates. The law also omits LGBT people from North Carolina’s anti-discrimination protections, forbids local governments from widening LGBT protections and excludes all forms of workplace discrimination lawsuits from North Carolina state courts.

Charlotte Hornets owner Michael Jordan had been counting on All-Star Weekend as a signature event for his franchise, and the economic impact of losing the All-Star Game for the franchise and region promises to be dramatic.

The NBA had discussed moving the All-Star Game to the new T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, sources said, but scheduling conflicts at the facility became part of the reason the idea never advanced past high-level league conversations during the Las Vegas summer league this month, sources said.

New Orleans hosted the All-Star Game in 2008 and 2014.

Guest boatboatboat

I salute Charlotte. Way to stand up to King Obama. Boat can you do a contest for a Charlotte vacation?

there are contest for vegas that will be posted in the coming days

if you win, you can take a trip to Charlotte

here is your chance cowboy

I salute Charlotte. Way to stand up to King Obama. Boat can you do a contest for a Charlotte vacation?

What does Obama have to do with the NBA? 

It was Silver and the NBA owners that said change the law or we're not coming. The law didnt change enough so they arent coming

Not the end of the world for Charlotte but good to see NBA take a stance for an issue they believe in and backing up their threat

Similar to NFL saying they would not put the SB in Arizona unless a law changed (or was not passed?) except in that case NFL got their wish and Arizona caved 

I know lots of entertainers have done the same and boycotted the state until the law is changed.

Ringo Starr

Bruce Springsteen

Demi Lovato

Pearl Jam

Nick Jonas

Maroon 5

Boston

Cirque du Soleil

Bryan Adams

Duran Duran (diabs fav group)

Louis CK

Thats on top of plenty of high name businesses (paypal i believe is one)

Soon gonna be nobody but guys like Cop and Teddy in NC

I know lots of entertainers have done the same and boycotted the state until the law is changed.

Ringo Starr

Bruce Springsteen

Demi Lovato

Pearl Jam

Nick Jonas

Maroon 5

Boston

Cirque du Soleil

Bryan Adams

Duran Duran (diabs fav group)

Louis CK

Thats on top of plenty of high name businesses (paypal i believe is one)

Soon gonna be nobody but guys like Cop and Teddy in NC

I love how entertainers who don't live in that state try to dictate police by elected officials who represent the people of that state.  Some of those people probably even purchased their music or own season tickets to the Hornets.

I love how entertainers who don't live in that state try to dictate police by elected officials who represent the people of that state.  Some of those people probably even purchased their music or own season tickets to the Hornets.

I get your point and that is all good and fine if that law represents what the people of NC want.

But its also all good and fine if people from outside that state view that law, find it immoral and therefore make their own choice not to entertain, support or even step foot in the state

None of those entertainers are doing anything wrong. They are simply standing up for the views THEY hold, regardless of whether it could cost them some purchases or concert $$.