A preseason request to predict the Power 5 champions yields the usual suspects.

Clemson or Florida State in the ACC. Oklahoma in the Big 12. Ohio State or Michigan State in the Big Ten (Michigan re-enters the fray this fall). Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss or Tennessee in the SEC. While the parity-driven Pac-12 is tougher to pin down, Stanford has become a pretty safe pick under David Shaw.

But every Power 5 league has a sleeper team or two. Insider asked coaches and other league insiders to weigh in on potential sleepers for 2016. An interesting pattern with this year's picks: Several sleepers likely would scoff at carrying such a label, given their program's history.

Here are your Power 5 sleepers for the season:

ACC: Louisville

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/97.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

To be considered a sleeper, a team must demonstrate the ability to challenge league favorites. More than any team on this list, Louisville has done exactly that. The Cardinals were two yards away from upsetting Clemson in Death Valley two years ago, and they held Deshaun Watson relatively in check during last year's 3-point loss to the Tigers. Louisville built a 21-0 lead on Florida State two years ago and led the Seminoles at halftime last season, eventually dropping both games.

Bobby Petrino has a difference-making quarterback in sophomore Lamar Jackson, veteran receivers and a seasoned line. "You better lace up your shoes playing against that quarterback," an ACC coordinator said. The Cards' defense is filled with potential All-ACC selections, led by end Devonte Fields, the national leader in tackles for loss last season.

"Who the viable contenders are in that division, you start with Florida State and Clemson and then Louisville is right there," an ACC assistant told ESPN.com's Andrea Adelson. "They have a very good chance [to win the Atlantic]."

Louisville needs a fast start as it hosts Florida State in Week 3, makes a tricky trip to Marshall and then visits Clemson on Oct. 1. But if the Cardinals gain at least a split, they could be dangerous with a favorable closing schedule to league play.

"Louisville's definitely a sleeper in the ACC," an ACC coordinator said.

Big 12: Texas

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/251.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

I was tempted to select Texas Tech or West Virginia because of their strength in the passing game, a must in the Big 12. But the more I spoke with league coaches for a recent story on Texas, the more I like the Horns' chances to make some noise. Most coaches attribute so many of Texas' issues to quarterback. While Shane Buechele is young and will have some growing pains, he fits what Texas wants to do and, according to coach Charlie Strong, has the temperament to lead and handle a tough opening stretch.

"If they find a quarterback, they'll be kind of scary," a Big 12 coach said. "They look talented. They're long and athletic."

One thing Strong said that stuck with me: Texas' defense hasn't been able to be as aggressive as he wants, because it didn't trust the offense to answer touchdowns if mistakes were made. "When you're able to match it," Strong said, "go do what you want to, be aggressive." Texas has some valuable pieces on defense such as linebacker Malik Jefferson and safety Dylan Haines. The pass rush must improve, but Strong has more of his players in positions to contribute.

Texas plays a challenging schedule, but remember how close the Longhorns were in losses to Cal, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech last season. Plus, Texas showed it can beat Oklahoma, the consensus Big 12 favorite, as well as Baylor (albeit a banged-up version). After OU, the Big 12 appears to be wide open, so don't be surprised if Texas makes a push.

Big Ten: Nebraska

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/158.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Michigan no longer qualifies as a sleeper. Neither does Michigan State, which has won the Big Ten in two of the past three years. And Ohio State is Ohio State. Like most, I expect one of those teams to win the East Division -- and, most likely, the Big Ten title -- so the sleeper must come from the West. Several Big Ten coaches label Nebraska as a potential sleeper after coach Mike Riley's debut season of frustration and close losses.

"Their win total should jump," a Big Ten West Division coach said.

"They've got a lot of guys back," added a Big Ten East Division coach.

Among those returnees is senior quarterback Tommy Armstrong, who boasts 33 career starts and has eclipsed more than 3,400 yards in each of the past two seasons. While Armstrong can be both electrifying and infuriating (28 interceptions the past two seasons, 54 percent career completions), his presence gives Nebraska a chance to make a run. "Tommy Armstrong's a really good player," a Big Ten defensive coordinator told Insider. "He has the lapse game here and there that can cost them, but he's very talented."

The Huskers miss Michigan State and Michigan in the East but must elevate their play on the road, where they face Ohio State, Iowa, Northwestern and Wisconsin.

Pac-12: Washington

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/264.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Washington coach Chris Petersen might prefer sleeper to some of the more outlandish labels (national title contender?) being placed on his team, which has won seven games in each of the past two seasons. It does seem clear, though, that the Huskies are talented enough to make a big jump this fall, possibly all the way to a Pac-12 championship. Washington quietly has produced one of the nation's best defenses during Petersen's tenure, a unit that a Pac-12 coach called the league's best in 2015.

"I don't think it was close," he said.

Washington returns a dynamic, young offensive backfield with running back Myles Gaskin and quarterback Jake Browning, plus a maturing line. "Their offensive line is going to be awesome in the next couple of years," a recent Pac-12 assistant told Insider. "They were mostly freshmen last season."

The schedule sets up well for Washington with no UCLA and both Stanford and USC in Seattle. The Huskies do travel to Oregon and must find a way to end a 12-game losing streak to their rival.

SEC: Georgia

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/61.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

There are several options here, but Georgia has the more favorable division path, some top-end talent and the energy from new leadership under Kirby Smart to possibly make a title run in Year 1. SEC coaches had a lot of praise for Georgia's secondary, led by safety Dominick Sanders but also featuring cornerback Malkom Parrish and others. Smart is concerned about the defensive line depth and the emergence of young players like mammoth tackle Julian Rochester will be vital. But it isn't hard to see Georgia's defense making a big jump under Smart and Mel Tucker.

The big questions live in the offensive backfield, but a healthy Nick Chubb and/or Sony Michel will help whoever plays quarterback. It will be Jacob Eason, if not right away, then soon thereafter. "His growth potential is more, his ceiling's probably more," Smart said. "But the other two, we've got to have ready to play because I don't think you can start a season relying totally on a true freshman."

Georgia faces Ole Miss and Tennessee early in SEC play, but the Bulldogs play only one true road game after an Oct. 8 visit to South Carolina. They get SEC East favorite Tennessee as well as Auburn at home.