Mo the greatest non-rivalry in baseball starts today

Guest ChrisHarvard

Guest ChrisHarvard

Who's your favorite team CH

I will spare you the terrible cliche of "the last team that won me money", but that is what I usually tell non-betting hamburger strangers I meet at pubs.

NL: Washington, pretty much every team in NL East & Central, except St. Louis

AL: Baltimore, Cleveland

St. Louis is the only team I really dislike and enjoy seeing lose.

Maybe it's all those years beating of up on the Cubbies.

Maybe it's game 6 of 2011 World Series (had no action on it).

They're just bad people and I hate them.

Guest ChrisHarvard

Boston series. We have a GM who trade away good pitching prospects and 1st round picks for terrible major league pitchers. If we had Arrieta, Ed Rod, Hader, Tillman, Brault, Gaus, Bundy and two first round arms we'd win the east. Instead we have ubaldo, Gallardo, Miley.

The Os stink, but the games with the Nats are awesome. This series is a great one. You go to any of the games?

No, Ive been battling alcoholism through my teens and in to adulthood. I'm doing better though, didn't drink for a week, had 3 beers last night after I thought I downed 1400 on a SILLY LIL MLS game...

but basically you know how traffic is. Every day we see accidents, every day on 95 or 295 I see a car folded up like an accordian. The DMV is not a place to drink and drive. If I go to a game, I know i'm going to get loaded. It's just a b/s hassle.  There is this parking lot at 1st St and M St... it's 8 dollars to park during the day if you get there before 9AM. Game day it's $40.

Eff that to death. Only way that makes sense to go see a game is to take the Metro in. It took me 2 1/2 hours to get from the ballpark to Alexandria when a game let out. It's like 11 miles lol. I think the video I made is the fastest in history of getting by the ball park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt6q9pQ9NCI

No, Ive been battling alcoholism through my teens and in to adulthood. I'm doing better though, didn't drink for a week, had 3 beers last night after I thought I downed 1400 on a SILLY LIL MLS game...

but basically you know how traffic is. Every day we see accidents, every day on 95 or 295 I see a car folded up like an accordian. The DMV is not a place to drink and drive. If I go to a game, I know i'm going to get loaded. It's just a b/s hassle. There is this parking lot at 1st St and M St... it's 8 dollars to park during the day if you get there before 9AM. Game day it's $40.

Eff that to death. Only way that makes sense to go see a game is to take the Metro in. It took me 2 1/2 hours to get from the ballpark to Alexandria when a game let out. It's like 11 miles lol. I think the video I made is the fastest in history of getting by the ball park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt6q9pQ9NCI

I didn't know you had that problem with alcohol, hope you are able to beat it.

The Nats metro stop is brutal. Just a fucking mess. Driving is awful. I-95 has taken more lives on the east coast than the civil war. I-95 will find a way for people get on in the middle lane, they've got the fast lane done, fucking jerkoffs. Driving ain't for me!

"To find America's Highways from Hell, we started with newly released data from traffic-tracking firm INRIX, which culls data from 4 million vehicles nationwide using GPS units and a smartphone application.

We pared and ranked our top 50 worst metropolitan areas for traffic for 2010 using INRIX's Travel Time Tax—the percentage of time it takes to navigate the area's roadways during rush hour compared to uninterrupted travel periods. Los Angeles, no surprise, fared the worst, with a TTT of more than 35 percent. Then, using INRIX's analysis, we culled:

The worst corridor or bottleneck: A bottleneck is typically less than 3 miles long while a corridor is usually more than 3 miles. A corridor is a stretch of consecutive bottlenecks that experience significant congestion. While many larger metropolitan areas have corridors, smaller areas have only bottlenecks and experience relatively brief periods of congestion.

The rush-hour travel tax for the worst corridor or bottleneck: The Los Angeles section of the Riverside Freeway has one particularly bad stretch of about 20 miles. With a Travel Time Tax of 183 percent, it will take the average driver 183 percent more time to travel this stretch during rush hour than during uninterrupted travel periods. TTT is the price the driver pays for using the corridor during rush hour.

Average minutes per mile: At a rate of 65 miles per hour, driving a mile should take just under one minute. Not so on the Highways from Hell. A single mile on some of these roads can take more than four minutes to drive during the worst rush hours.

#1, Riverside Freeway/CA-91 Eastbound, Los Angeles

Worst corridor: Costa Mesa Freeway exit through McKinley St. exit

Length of worst corridor: 20.7 miles

Rush hour travel time tax on worst corridor: 183%

Longest rush hour travel time on worst corridor 57 minutes

Time per mile during longest rush hour travel period 2.73 minutes

Commuter Buzz: It's an "absolute nightmare," said Dijana Vandenheuvel, who uses the freeway to make deliveries. "I always try to avoid the 91, no matter what. The new lane [that was recently added] may help a little bit, but I personally don't think it will solve the problem because it's so congested."

#2, Lunalilo Freeway/I-1 Eastbound, Honolulu

Worst corridor: HI-92 exit through S Vineyard Blvd./Ward Ave.

Length of worst corridor: 3.9 miles

Rush hour travel time tax on worst corridor: 244%

Longest rush hour travel time on worst corridor 21 minutes

Time per mile during longest rush hour travel period 4.08 minutes

Commuter Buzz: "We've got too many cars at this one location coming onto the freeway trying to go west, and we've got too many cars at the same time at the same location trying to get off going in the west direction," said Department of Transportation director Brennon Morioka last year, describing the freeway area around the Lunalilo. "So you get all this weaving and people merging left and right, and that's the reason why people slow down. And that's how you create that bottleneck. ... Because people slow down when they're merging."

#3, California Delta Highway/CA-4 Westbound, San Francisco

Worst corridor: Hillcrest Ave. through Somersville Rd.

Length of worst corridor: 3 miles

Rush hour travel time tax on worst corridor: 318%

Longest rush hour travel time on worst corridor 11 minutes

Time per mile during longest rush hour travel period 3.76 minutes

Commuter Buzz: Hillcrest Ave. may eventually get improved public train access, and $500 million will go toward widening CA-4—but work won't be completed until 2014. "We've been very successful in applying those dollars to Highway 4," said Susan Miller, director of projects for Contra Costa Transportation Authority . "We've leveraged a lot of state and federal funds."

#4, I-95 Southbound, Washington, D.C.

Worst corridor: I-395 through Russell Rd./Exit 148

Length of worst corridor: 23.9 miles

Rush hour travel time tax on worst corridor: 129%

Longest rush hour travel time on worst corridor 52 minutes

Time per mile during longest rush hour travel period 2.18 minutes

Commuter Buzz: The commute from Prince William County into D.C. is supposed to take around 30 minutes, however "with all the construction going on, you can throw those times out the window," said AAA spokesman John Townsend last summer. Updated estimates added at least another half-hour traveling time."

Guest ChrisHarvard

I don't think the O's stink. Every player in that line up can hit it out.

This is such a tough game to cap, with Strasburg pitching so incredibly poor lately. Strasburg is 0-3 his L3 starts w/ a 14.65 ERA and 2.571 WHIP, I mean how in the world could you get behind him at this moment?

This morning I thought I saw the line Washington -140 which made Baltimore a no brainer but I guess I was seeing things because it's -114 Lol.

The Orioles have lost the last 5 of 6, all at home.

It seems like even when the Oriole birds lose they're scoring 5 runs a game, and that's not really an over simplification on my part...it's pretty much true! They're averaging 4.7 runs per game.

Ya know, with a total at 8.5- I mean gee wizz you almost have to go with the OVER because both these teams can hit. The problem is both pitchers have "ace like" possibilities which is why I'm sure this number is 8.5 and not 10.

Ah fuk guest not...Stras just got scratched

Joe Sheehan today -

The Orioles have lost three straight, nine of 13 and 26 of their last 46. I tweeted a few weeks ago that I thought they could finish under .500. That's unlikely, as they'd have to close 13-26 to do it, but if I had to choose right now between "Orioles make the playoffs" and "Orioles finish under .500," I'd pick the latter. Buck Showalter has done well to get this much from a team with no starting rotation. We saw, over the weekend, the problem with having your bullpen be your strength: there will simply be too many games in which your best relievers can't help you. A strong bullpen can't win games on its own; it needs to be put in position to contribute. When the starters allow 16 runs in 10 2/3 innings, Zach Britton becomes irrelevant.

The Orioles have a high #3 in Chris Tillman. They have Kevin Gausman, who has high #2 skills and #3/#4 performance. They have Dylan Bundy, a nice story who has already thrown more innings this year than he has in his last three. Combined. Mind you, these are the good pitchers. Wade Miley has a 9.53 ERA in four Orioles starts. Yovani Gallardo is at 5.08 for the year. Ubaldo Jimenez is at 6.94. (The latter two cost the Orioles top-20 picks in the 2016 and 2014 drafts, respectively.) The Orioles have the worst starting pitching of any competitive team in the AL. Hitting 250 homers -- the Orioles are on pace for 252 -- could end up wasted.

One reason the Orioles could plummet quickly is their closing schedule. They play 29 of their final 39 games against teams currently above .500. Seven of the other ten are against the Rays, who at the very least will have the better starting pitcher in many of those games. Take it back to August 22, and the Orioles play good teams in 38 of their final 48 contests. They may just be overmatched.

--

Guest ChrisHarvard

I will say, the Orioles aren't winning many playoff games without pitching. You need pitching to win on the big stage much like you need defense in basketball.

However, when your offense scores 5 runs, consistently, I don't see how anyone can ever count them out. You guys are acting like the Orioles are the freaking Diamondbacks.

I will say, the Orioles aren't winning many playoff games without pitching. You need pitching to win on the big stage much like you need defense in basketball.

However, when your offense scores 5 runs, consistently, I don't see how anyone can ever count them out. You guys are acting like the Orioles are the freaking Diamondbacks.

How did that work out for the Cubs last year? If your bats go cold, now you are asking your SP's to pitch lights-out.

Dookie has fucked this organization up but lucked into decent records. No system, no chance to win now, he's a nightmare and gets paid to make the worst moves possible over and over. We could have traded Britton for anything, but we will win meaningless games with him instead. Should have sold all but Bundy, Schoop and Machado.