Let's discuss survivor contest strategy

Guest pocketrockets

Guest pocketrockets

First time I partake in this (thank you TTP & Mofome).

What I did is pretty much layout the schedule for all 17 weeks, and rank my picks from all matches, 1 star (tight game) 2 stars (good chances), 3 stars (great chances) and 4 stars ("lock"). After that I just selected the 4 stars as a main pick for said week (especially if its a "weak" squad)... example, on week 1 I gave Seattle and Baltimore 4 stars... but picked Seattle cause its safer for week 1, -10 home fave and should win outright fairly easily... left Baltimore as an option for later. And If I have Jets vs Bills as a 4 star pick against lets say Pats vs Chiefs... Id take Jets cause Pats will be useful later against a stronger opponent while the Jets will have a hard time with another team.

Basically I have 2-3 picks per week already decided, and if injuries/bad streaks arise I shouldn't have a problem switching the main pick for a second or third tier.

Whats your take? I'm I off here?

People who get cute week 1 tend to get blasted. Week one has the least amount of reliable information so go with your top game imo. The point isn't to look savvy its to advance. Ego leads to picking games like Philly/Clev. That game couldn't have more unknowns in it, awful week 1 survivor game though some will want to pick a bottom 10 team even though you never actually have to.

Guest pocketrockets

People who get cute week 1 tend to get blasted. Week one has the least amount of reliable information so go with your top game imo. The point isn't to look savvy its to advance. Ego leads to picking games like Philly/Clev. That game couldn't have more unknowns in it, awful week 1 survivor game though some will want to pick a bottom 10 team even though you never actually have to.

Exactly why I'm going with Seattle at home against the Fins... I think this is going to be the best Dolphins season in years, but won't start 1-0. First 3 weeks is to play it safe... thats why my only play yesterday was a 6pt teaser CAR and Under... would have covered DEN and Over as well, week 1 has so many weird spots, nailed it on the eagles game...Bengals Jets, Raiders Saints, Giants Cowgirls, Lions Colts, even Pats Cards... all very fishy... 

Too many variable, the point of week one is to get to week 2 so you can actually use what you learned in week 1. Save the brave picks for when you've got more information. Two new coaching staffs in philly/clev, new QBs, too much chaos.

I think Miami will be ok too and seattles Oline is grotesque but Wilson played behind the worst Oline last year, good place to put your trust considering he played like an MVP and Miami is starting a secondary that's worse than Florida states.

Whats your strategy BD? You seem to always have space for bs and criticism, Im not taking the bait.

I've won ALOT of survivor pools over the years and my only piece of advice is DO NOT look ahead . Take it one week at a time, there are exceptions but they are obvious ones. No need to analyze what might happen next week or next month just pick a fucking winner for the current week. Period. The end .

I've won ALOT of survivor pools over the years and my only piece of advice is DO NOT look ahead . Take it one week at a time, there are exceptions but they are obvious ones. No need to analyze what might happen next week or next month just pick a fucking winner for the current week. Period. The end .

Get to week 2! Yes indeed!

Guest pocketrockets

Ok, but I thinks its useful to wisely use the weaker teams on the easiest spots... like i said... what if you have on week 6 cowgirls at packers, and you already used GB on week 3 at home ag Lions... better spot week 6, at least now.

But yeah, maybe just overthinking, spent like 2-3 hours doing that shit.

Ok, but I thinks its useful to wisely use the weaker teams on the easiest spots... like i said... what if you have on week 6 cowgirls at packers, and you already used GB on week 3 at home ag Lions... better spot week 6, at least now.

But yeah, maybe just overthinking, spent like 2-3 hours doing that shit.

QBs get hurt, stars go down, take the wins early imo, first 3-4 weeks you'll have great teams left. Save gb, Pitt, or Seattle they lose their QB and you're fucked with one of the elite teams. You have to get cute at some point, better to do it late than early, survive and advance. The longer you're in the more information you can acquire and the sharper the lines are allowing you to invest more in what Vegas is telling you.

Jmo

Lets not forget Seattle started slowly last year, and if anything lost a bit of talent with Lynch and a couple offensive lineman no longer on team....I think Miami has a shot to beat Seattle week 1, as i stated Seattle has been known to start slow out of the gate.... Shit the rams swept them last year, Yes the rams!

Lets not forget Seattle started slowly last year, and if anything lost a bit of talent with Lynch and a couple offensive lineman no longer on team....I think Miami has a shot to beat Seattle week 1, as i stated Seattle has been known to start slow out of the gate.... Shit the rams swept them last year, Yes the rams!

Correct. There are no guarantees in the NFL but as far as this week goes I believe Seattle @ home vs Miami is the strongest play on the board.

Rocket I think looking ahead strategy is better for the huge survivor pools since you get 1000 squares making the same move through the first half of the season taking the biggest fav. In smaller ones like here would just say week to week.

Exactly.  It all comes down to the parameters of the contest.  In a 15 person contest, just try and survive each week.  In a 4k person one, you're going to need to look ahead a lot more.  Then, there are variables like pools that keep going into the playoffs if people are still alive, pools where you have to start pick 2 teams each week at some point (my big on starts with two teams in week 13).  Survivor contests are like NCAA hoops bracket contests in that your strategy should depend on the specific pool that you're entering.