"And what is Aleppo?”

Mofome

• 2 weeks later...

Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson had another tough night on the campaign trail when he couldn't come up with the name of a foreign leader.

"Who's your favorite foreign leader," MSNBC's Chris Matthews asked Johnson, who sat beside his running mate, former Massachusetts governor Bill Weld.

Matthews pushed Johson to pick anyone, from any continent or country, after the former New Mexico governor repeated the question.

"Name one foreign leader that you respect and look up to," Matthews said. "Anybody," he added as Johnson searched for an answer.

"My was Shimon Peres," Weld offered, picking the former Israeli leader who died Wednesday from a stroke.

"I'm talking about living," Matthews said, pointing back to Johnson.

"You gotta do this," Matthews said. "Anywhere. Any continent. Canada, Mexico, Europe, over there, Asia, South America, Africa: Name a foreign leader that you respect," Matthews said as Johnson continued to fumble for an answer.

"I guess I'm having an Aleppo moment in the former president of Mexico," Johnson said — referring to a much-lampooned moment in an interview earlier this month, where he responded "What is Aleppo?" when asked what he would do about the Syrian city that has been decimated by civil war.

"[Vladimir Putin} is not going into Ukraine, OK, just so you understand. He’s not gonna go into Ukraine, all right? You can mark it down. You can put it down." –Donald Trump, apparently unaware that Russia had already annexed Crimea in a 2014 intrusion into Ukraine that left thousands dead (July 31, 2016)

"Iraq and Iran were very similar militarily, and they’d fight, fight, fight, and then they’d rest. They’d fight, fight, fight, and then Saddam Hussein would do the gas, and somebody else would do something else, and they’d rest." –Donald Trump, demonstrating his knowledge of foreign policy at a town hall meeting in Virginia Beach, VA (Sept. 6, 2016)

"I don't care. It's a long time ago. And he voted that way and they were also misled. A lot of information was given to people…" –Donald Trump, forgiving his running mate, Mike Pence, for voting in favor of the Iraq war, saying he was "entitled to make a make mistake," but adding that Hillary Clinton isn't, 60 Minutes interview, July 17, 2016

"I wrote this out, and it's very close to my heart. Because I was down there and I watched our police and our firemen down at 7/11, down at the World Trade Center right after it came down. And I saw the greatest people I've ever seen in action." –Donald Trump, confusing 7/11 with 9/11, Buffalo, New York, April 18, 2016

Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson had another tough night on the campaign trail when he couldn't come up with the name of a foreign leader.

"Who's your favorite foreign leader," MSNBC's Chris Matthews asked Johnson, who sat beside his running mate, former Massachusetts governor Bill Weld.

Matthews pushed Johson to pick anyone, from any continent or country, after the former New Mexico governor repeated the question.

"Name one foreign leader that you respect and look up to," Matthews said. "Anybody," he added as Johnson searched for an answer.

"My was Shimon Peres," Weld offered, picking the former Israeli leader who died Wednesday from a stroke.

"I'm talking about living," Matthews said, pointing back to Johnson.

"You gotta do this," Matthews said. "Anywhere. Any continent. Canada, Mexico, Europe, over there, Asia, South America, Africa: Name a foreign leader that you respect," Matthews said as Johnson continued to fumble for an answer.

"I guess I'm having an Aleppo moment in the former president of Mexico," Johnson said — referring to a much-lampooned moment in an interview earlier this month, where he responded "What is Aleppo?" when asked what he would do about the Syrian city that has been decimated by civil war.

It's hard to believe that was real life rather than an SNL skit.