OT - Let me share a story - I need to vent

HRWager

So a very good friend of mine, we have known each other way back since middle school, was running into hard times. The guy used to be filthy rich when we were kids, his dad owned a construction company worth millions of dollars, their house was worth 2 million dollars. The dad lost everything due to alcohol and his children were screwed. My friend opened an Italian restaurant which failed after 3 or 4 years. 

My friend asks me if I can buy a van on his behalf so that he can setup a tourism company transporting foreigners here in Costa Rica. I paid 6k for the downpayment and we are supposed to og 50/50. I know the chances of me getting anything back is 1% or less but I figure this will at least allow him to make some money and work his way back from the hole that he was at. The company does very good, he gets a good contract and instead of milking the cow for every dollar he hires a driver to do his work and it still allows him to make a living. The contract runs out, he doesnt saves any money, he goes behind the loan payment for 3 months and I have to pay the loan and take posesion of the van. I try to sell the van for a year and it wont sell since its gasoline and not deasel, he had purchased a gas van because diesel was 2k more expensive.

I decide I give up and Im just going to return the van to the agency and eat up all the money I lost in exchange for not paying the monthly loan anymore. My dad crashes the van against the porch while parking it so now I have to call the insurance company. The car insurance is under my friends name so that he could get the permits to allow him to use the car as public transportation. I ask him to go and sign so that the repair shop can fix the van. He says he cant do that because he will get penalized by the insurance company if he gets another car so he wont sign. I spent over 10k to help him out and he wont sign to get the van fixed and that im an asshole because I left him jobless and homeless when I took the van away because he wouldnt pay it.(no I didnt do that, he went and opened a pizza place with another friend)

Moral of the story

Never trust anyone unless they are family and even some family will fuck you over too. This is another example of why I stop believing in helping people out like I used to 3 or 4 years ago.

Yeah terrible. That he had the nerve to say that I left him jobless when he was too lazy to work was really the tipping point for me. I  yelled at him for 2 minutes and then I hung up. I used to have 2 lifelong friends, now I only have 1.

Sorry to hear Jorge.

Fuck him.  He's a piece of shit and he just lost a friend.  Sucks you had to eat that much money to figure that out though. 

The good feeling one gets from being to help someone out esp someone they know is great but often it is definitely not worth the risk more times then not as too many people are trying to just get over and look out for #1 and when things go south is when it shows. 

Even taking the loss which sucks ass at least you know your def the better man George (even if that doesn't get you any coin back) perhaps karma will break your way for it down the line. 

So a very good friend of mine, we have known each other way back since middle school, was running into hard times. The guy used to be filthy rich when we were kids, his dad owned a construction company worth millions of dollars, their house was worth 2 million dollars. The dad lost everything due to alcohol and his children were screwed. My friend opened an Italian restaurant which failed after 3 or 4 years. 

Why?