DAK.....

Gabe

Absolutely not true.

Bob Sturm at the Little Ticket in Dallas essayed on this during this year's training camp. Of the QBs with 20+ starts in the NFL past ten years, only two were picked after 3rd round. Russ Wilson the most current and Prescott appears likely to be another. But they are by far the exception.

Wilson wasn't taken after the 3rd round. Romo, Brady and Fitzpatrick were, though.

So what's the stat? There are plenty of QBs with 20+ starts in the last decade who weren't round 1 or 2.

Are you sure? They are a rare breed.....The jist of his presentation was that too often, Joe Fan thinks "Brady, Romo...Fitz.....lots of late round QBs so if we need one we can wait til second half of draft and use higher rounds otherwise."

Yet time and again, the QB taken after Round 2 either never starts (save for true injury to QB1) or if he does it's sporadic for parts of a couple seasons and then done.

Moral -- If you want a true "Top15" level QB it has to be in first 65 picks.

Moral #2 -- Cowboys incredibly fortunate

Hell, it's not just the post 4th round for Prescott.....It's Romo's back injury, then the leg injury to their QB2 (from last year and in this year's camp opening). Without both those injuries, Prescott is still on bench and viewed as "a potential possibility in next couple years"

Are you sure? They are a rare breed.....The jist of his presentation was that too often, Joe Fan thinks "Brady, Romo...Fitz.....lots of late round QBs so if we need one we can wait til second half of draft and use higher rounds otherwise."

Yet time and again, the QB taken after Round 2 either never starts (save for true injury to QB1) or if he does it's sporadic for parts of a couple seasons and then done.

Moral -- If you want a true "Top15" level QB it has to be in first 65 picks.

Moral #2 -- Cowboys incredibly fortunate

Hell, it's not just the post 4th round for Prescott.....It's Romo's back injury, then the leg injury to their QB2 (from last year and in this year's camp opening). Without both those injuries, Prescott is still on bench and viewed as "a potential possibility in next couple years"

"Joe Fan" - corrected your stat for you. I just gave you 3 names in 5 seconds bc you said only 2 existed.

Fact is the top guys used to take up a ton of your cap and ownership made you stick with them. QBs will be replaced more easily now and teams are starting to see that lines win.

I think a lot of guys could be Dak. I know a lot of guys could be Cousins. How many starts does Cousins have, that stat was not right and that makes it useless, no?

Fact is the top guys used to take up a ton of your cap and ownership made you stick with them. QBs will be replaced more easily now and teams are starting to see that lines win.

I think a lot of guys could be Dak. I know a lot of guys could be Cousins. How many starts does Cousins have, that stat was not right and that makes it useless, no?

When I heard the cited research in July, Cousins less than 20 starts.

Pretty sure the three you mentioned, along with RW are only four of current top 64 w 20+ starts picked after 2nd round

Prescott a very fortunate anomaly and if he was not playing with best rookie RB since AP and Dickerson behind best O-line in NFL, he might not even be all that noticeable nine games in

When I heard the cited research in July, Cousins less than 20 starts.

Pretty sure the three you mentioned, along with RW are only four of current top 64 w 20+ starts picked after 2nd round

Prescott a very fortunate anomaly and if he was not playing with best rookie RB since AP and Dickerson behind best O-line in NFL, he might not even be all that noticeable nine games in

Well that wouldn't be all in the last decade. Your team had at least 2 with Romo/Orton. Matt Cassel, there are guys all over. Perhaps it was drafted in the last decade?

Here's an interesting breakdown (from spring of 2014) which I had not seen before tonight. If you surf all the way down he lists all QB drafted since 1994 by round and outside of Tom Brady it's Russell Wilson and Matt Schaub as only notable 3rd rounders.

It does not analyze based on the "20 starts", but moreso in their overall career impact

Kurt Warner, Romo and Jeff Garcia were all Undrafteds

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/nfl-draft-round-round-quarterback-data

Here's an interesting breakdown (from spring of 2014) which I had not seen before tonight. If you surf all the way down he lists all QB drafted since 1994 by round and outside of Tom Brady it's Russell Wilson and Matt Schaub as only notable 3rd rounders.

It does not analyze based on the "20 starts", but moreso in their overall career impact

Kurt Warner, Romo and Jeff Garcia were all Undrafteds

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/nfl-draft-round-round-quarterback-data

No love for Gus Freerottererot?

As Dak lifts the Lombardi Trophy high in a couple months, perhaps we will all look back and view him as the second of a new mold of QB - along with RW - who when coupled with a great rushing game, great FG kicker and acceptable D can consistently take a team to the Final Four and beyond

Joe Fan has been preaching this for 17 years. When Dak is about to get paid, trade him. Get more young talent and hand the team over to another human who can extend plays and not turn it over.

End every possession with a kick