What was your nickname and why?

The Dark Man

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We probably couldn't have had more of polar opposite upbringings William. I really can't relate or even imagine myself in that sort of setting.

I grew up in small town America where everyone knew everyone in town and nobody locked their doors. If we got in trouble, somebody elses mom or dad had free reign to whip our ass. I don't remember one black person that lived in town. Had maybe 5 hispanics in the whole school. 99% WASP.

For me, being tough was all about lighting someone up on the football field. Or outlasting them in the 4th quarter of a game. Our life growing up was all about playing sports and collecting baseball cards.

Same here.

You guys grew up without black people? You guys have never been the only white guy at any party/gathering/game?

Ahhhhh reminds of my first trip to NY to visit my friend who moved there. He used to always be the only black guy amongst a bunch of mostly white with some Asian/Tongan/Latin mixed in.

He took me to a club and later an after party where I was the only white person. Definitely gave me more perspective on things.

My senior year in high school, small town Kansas.. We only had 11 guys try out for the American Legion baseball team, so naturally all of us made the team and had been playing together since little league... Always had to travel to bigger towns for games... These kids would laugh at us, when we would get on the field, then we'd proceed to kick their ass..

1a 2a 3a 4a and 5a were the class depending upon the size of town, more folks bigger number of class and we were barely 1a... Went to play a class 4a.. I was pitching, 6'2" about 190 and could throw pretty hard, struck out the first 12 batters bottom of the 5th we are up 2-0 and as we take the field, one of their players shouted to the rest of his team mates... We can get some hits off this "Big Dog" he ain't this good.. Ended up striking out 26 and 27th popped out to the catcher... So, Big Dog, stuck w/ me that summer and all through college...

Moved to Texas and it went away, until my Father passed away and took his body back to Kansas to bury him by my Mother and a couple of friends that never left, seen me and shouted out Sorry, Big Dog.. Brought back great memories!!!

My senior year in high school, small town Kansas.. We only had 11 guys try out for the American Legion baseball team, so naturally all of us made the team and had been playing together since little league... Always had to travel to bigger towns for games... These kids would laugh at us, when we would get on the field, then we'd proceed to kick their ass..

1a 2a 3a 4a and 5a were the class depending upon the size of town, more folks bigger number of class and we were barely 1a... Went to play a class 4a.. I was pitching, 6'2" about 190 and could throw pretty hard, struck out the first 12 batters bottom of the 5th we are up 2-0 and as we take the field, one of their players shouted to the rest of his team mates... We can get some hits off this "Big Dog" he ain't this good.. Ended up striking out 26 and 27th popped out to the catcher... So, Big Dog, stuck w/ me that summer and all through college...

Moved to Texas and it went away, until my Father passed away and took his body back to Kansas to bury him by my Mother and a couple of friends that never left, seen me and shouted out Sorry, Big Dog.. Brought back great memories!!!

nice

Ahhhhh reminds of my first trip to NY to visit my friend who moved there. He used to always be the only black guy amongst a bunch of mostly white with some Asian/Tongan/Latin mixed in.

He took me to a club and later an after party where I was the only white person. Definitely gave me more perspective on things.

Man I used to love going out with my buddy knowing id be the only white guy and we'd probably get in a fight bc I talked a lot. Oh sweet Baltimore, how I yearn for thee.

I'd be the only white guy at a lot of my buds houses/parties and almost always one of two when we'd play basketball under the lights.

Should have brought the donut. Good fun if you love coke or have 100 polars.

You pitched a perfect game and struck out 26 of the 27 batters?

Holy smokes!  

My best pitching performance, was a 1 hit , 2-0 shutout win. Had 11 strikeouts and no walks.  We only played 7 innings in HS though.  So, 21 outs. 

I had no clue that a single back up the middle to lead off the bottom of the 2nd would cause me to lose a perfect game.

I still have the baseball.  The opposing coach gave it to me after the game. 

You pitched a perfect game and struck out 26 of the 27 batters?

Holy smokes!

Had a full ride to play baseball at a junior college, and blew my rotor cuff, two weeks into season... Made all- state my senior year.. Was clocked at 90-93, but had been pitching since I was 6 or 7.. My Dad was our coach til high school, then he became my coach from the stands... I remember him telling me to stick it in his ear, that meant throw it directly at his head to get the batter away from the plate... Lots of great memories.. Still have the baseball cards my dad collected, and I collected until 1975! 30's40's 50's 60's and 70's.. The only card I ever sold was a '68 Nolan Ryan rookie.. I had 3 of them and sold it for $1500.00..

Had a full ride to play baseball at a junior college, and blew my rotor cuff, two weeks into season... Made all- state my senior year.. Was clocked at 90-93, but had been pitching since I was 6 or 7.. My Dad was our coach til high school, then he became my coach from the stands... I remember him telling me to stick it in his ear, that meant throw it directly at his head to get the batter away from the plate... Lots of great memories.. Still have the baseball cards my dad collected, and I collected until 1975! 30's40's 50's 60's and 70's.. The only card I ever sold was a '68 Nolan Ryan rookie.. I had 3 of them and sold it for $1500.00..

that's a shame you blew your shoulder but you got good memories