Jabari Parker vs Andrew Wiggins (The Argument Revisited)

Timely Hitting

Last year at this point, this debate seemed to have been settled; Parker hadn't recovered the explosiveness he possessed following the knee injury, his career took a big step back, and Wiggins had showed significant improvement in his one year in the league. 

Fast forward one calendar year, and it appears that Jabari has overtaken Wiggins as the better player in that draft.

Wiggins just doesn't do enough on the floor but for score and his efficiency has taken a hit despite being greatly improved from long range. Wiggins has the explosiveness but he doesn't have the body control to work his way in the paint effectively and his ball handling just hasn't advanced from it's below average grade when drafted.

Parker has taken a huge step forward this year, even more so the past 10 games.

Jabari slash: 19.4/5.6/2.1 with 47/35/76 18.72 PER

Wiggins slash: 22.2/4.2/2.2 with 44/39/76 15.84 PER

Jabari is also playing 4 minutes fewer per game so his rates are even better.

Given the amount of developmental time Parker missed due to his torn ACL, and the amount of time it took him for his body to recover, his progress has been much more significant. Tripp had called this race over by the start of this year. They are both still 21 years old, and Parker's offensive game is more complete than Wiggins who has been stuck on the perimeter much of the year. No reason to believe Parker can't get his rebound figures closer to 7 or 8 a game, while increasing his scoring.

Starting a team today, Jabari is the choice just as he should have been 3 years ago.

Wiggins blows.

Canada blows.

Tripp blows.

• 2 weeks later...

The argument was never about who was better on draft day or who might be better first couple years, it was always about high end potential. 

Wiggins flashed plenty of his elite ceiling his rookie year and has shown flashes of it since. He is far from a disappointment just overshadowed a bit by how great KAT is.

You poll the 32 GMs on who they would prefer between Wiggins/Parker and id put money at minimum 25+ say give me Wiggins

The argument was never about who was better on draft day or who might be better first couple years, it was always about high end potential. 

Wiggins flashed plenty of his elite ceiling his rookie year and has shown flashes of it since. He is far from a disappointment just overshadowed a bit by how great KAT is.

You poll the 32 GMs on who they would prefer between Wiggins/Parker and id put money at minimum 25+ say give me Wiggins

No chance at all. What high end potential are we talking about? Jabari is going to be one of the best scoring forwards in the NBA for years to come. He can beat you inside and outside. He has a much more complete offensive game; it's really not even close. Jabari is a year+ behind in his development because of his injury, yet he's a better player than Wiggins already. Jabari has improved more in the past 5 months than Wiggins has his entire career.

no way

if middleton comes back strong, the bucks might have a big 3 like the good old days with allen/robinson/cassell

no way

if middleton comes back strong, the bucks might have a big 3 like the good old days with allen/robinson/cassell

yeah, they need something because that roster is so thin is unbelievable. 

After Jabari and Giannis, it's a collection of players who are either bad and should be out of the league or young. 

Brogdan the only player that roster has that might turn himself into a heck of a player (I'm a big fan of his game, and think it's funny they got him in the 2nd round and he's going to have a better career than their 1st round -10th overall - pick). Snell should be a back up SF on a bad team, Beasley should be out of the NBA, and Dellavadova is a nice back-up PG at best. Thon Maker will never be anything; Teletovic is terrible. Who am I missing? Henson... nice back-up center with no offensive game. 

Those were good times in Milwaukee. Jabari better player imo. If his jumper improves and he at least try's to play defense, he could be an All Star in the league.

Way he's going, he might be an all-star right now.

Bucks better try to get some other talent around those two before they leave for Free Agency down the road. They've got a 4 year window to be really really good if they can put some pieces around these two. They are fun to watch, but they have no help.

• 4 weeks later...

yeah, they need something because that roster is so thin is unbelievable. 

After Jabari and Giannis, it's a collection of players who are either bad and should be out of the league or young. 

Brogdan the only player that roster has that might turn himself into a heck of a player (I'm a big fan of his game, and think it's funny they got him in the 2nd round and he's going to have a better career than their 1st round -10th overall - pick). Snell should be a back up SF on a bad team, Beasley should be out of the NBA, and Dellavadova is a nice back-up PG at best. Thon Maker will never be anything; Teletovic is terrible. Who am I missing? Henson... nice back-up center with no offensive game. 

Sharp guy this Timely is.

Since I posted this, he's been the best rookie in the NBA since I don't count Embid who is in his 12th year.

• 2 weeks later...