OT: Anyone here make money delivering food for Postmates or DoorDash?

KingRevolver

Embarrassing that people don't tip you. Couldn't believe how low delivery tips were when I was talking to people about it. Cheap bastards want the convenience but don't wanna pay for it.

I don't get it either, maybe it's because we work in the business. I gave up on this thread but is there a min order? There really should be a min $15-20. Who wants to deliver $5 meals and not get a tip?

Somewhat related, there is a new brewery in my town (TH may be familiar with Haymarket Brewery in Chicago). They pay their staff $11/hour, no tipping, no waitstaff either. The catch is their beers range from $6 to $9/pint. What bartender would work for $11/hour and think it's great? The time I went, it was retread bartenders who weren't exactly hustling for the drinks. The justification is that the higher prices pay for living wages for the staff.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave my very level- headed neighbor this scenario about the soda. She agrees with me. No one complained about your offering soda. It makes no sense. They probably commented it was a nice touch, and they were angry it might cut into future delivery fees.

I call bullshit......did anyone ask offended or weird when you offered it to them?

Start an independent Halo Top delivery service.

I don't get it either, maybe it's because we work in the business. I gave up on this thread but is there a min order? There really should be a min $15-20. Who wants to deliver $5 meals and not get a tip?

Somewhat related, there is a new brewery in my town (TH may be familiar with Haymarket Brewery in Chicago). They pay their staff $11/hour, no tipping, no waitstaff either. The catch is their beers range from $6 to $9/pint. What bartender would work for $11/hour and think it's great? The time I went, it was retread bartenders who weren't exactly hustling for the drinks. The justification is that the higher prices pay for living wages for the staff.

Yeah, that's a crazy reduction in pay. $11/hr is terrible. I would guess people who work for me full time are clearing about $25-$30/hr if not a little more. Obviously service people aren't putting in 40+ hours a week, but it's still good pay.

I think going away from tips isn't a bad business model, but you'd have to increase your prices by about 18% and then pass off those price raises to your staff. If everyone did it, that would work fine, but if you are the only place doing it and people don't grasp the concept you'll look as if you priced yourself out of the market because a lot of people won't understand the no tips thing.

Video interview the guy who delivers it and ask him how often he gets tipped or if he gets stiffed on the reg

Then we upload it to youtube for 10 million views, gone viral, then we start a gofundme.  etc.  You can still make a few silly little g-notes from the youtube and then look like an awesome person helping out the untipped immigrant on gofundme. 

Video interview the guy who delivers it and ask him how often he gets tipped or if he gets stiffed on the reg

Then we upload it to youtube for 10 million views, gone viral, then we start a gofundme.  etc.  You can still make a few silly little g-notes from the youtube and then look like an awesome person helping out the untipped immigrant on gofundme.

Do this!!! At least the first part.

So am I reading this correctly? The pizza was $17 and the delivery fee and the service fee were an extra $15? No wonder you don't get tipped!

I don't understand why people use the services to order pizza from places that have their own delivery. I'm sure you had a reason, but most of the time it went seem to make sense.

So am I reading this correctly? The pizza was $17 and the delivery fee and the service fee were an extra $15? No wonder you don't get tipped!

I don't understand why people use the services to order pizza from places that have their own delivery. I'm sure you had a reason, but most of the time it went seem to make sense.

Yep.  You're reading it right.  I get discounts (and free delivery from most restaurants) 'cause I work for them.