Mike Ilitch, patriarch of pizza and Detroit pro sports, dies at the age of 87

plommer

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/mike-ilitch-patriarch-of-pizza-and-detroit-pro-sports-dies-at-the-age-of-87

Mike Ilitch, the pizza baron who acquired two moribund Detroit sports teams and turned them into perennial successes, has died at the age of 87.

Family spokesman Doug Kuiper said Ilitch died Friday at a hospital in Detroit.

C4V7ca9UcAA_Uf6.jpg

I wont pretend to know much about the guy himself and i try not to get too wrapped into pro athlete/entertainers/celeb deaths where u see people acting like they lost a kid or family member. Its certainly sad but in the way any good person losing their life is sad and u feel for the family

As an owner though i do have to say he will be missed and he was great for the game. Having a good owner is such a key and often ignored part of having a great franchise. Tigers may not have won the championship for him and the city but it wasnt ever because he didnt care enough or put enough into the team. He always went for it, which especially in MLB with their payroll structure is an appreciated quality that adds to the competitive balance of the league. So easy to play the "small market" card and stay content making a playoff run once or twice every 10 years without too much fault. But he valued winning over money which was nice

And on the bright side at least he got to see many successful runs with his NHL squad and won a few titles. The sports world will miss him and if its his kids taking over hopefully they keep it going and dont turn into another one of the many messes in sports where kids took over daddies team and completely changed the mindset (for the worse)

Illich may have been the most powerful man in Detroit. He was the only person investing in the city for a long time, until Dan Gilbert. Heck, he brought back the Fox Theater, got Coamerica Field and Little Caesers Arean built, and convinced the Pistons to come back downtown (never should have left). He was worth $5.4 BIL when he died.

He also started the Little Caesers youth hockey program that has sent over 100 players to the NHL.

Dominos pizza is the worst pizza I've ever tried. Amazing that a man became a billionaire selling that shit.

What does Dominos Pizza have to do with Ilitch?

His pizza was Liitle Caesars.

Get your facts straight next time BEFORE you post.

Fuckin' moron.

Do you apply the same epic knowledge of facts to your sports betting?

Dominos? :lol:

What does Dominos Pizza have to do with Ilitch?

His pizza was Liitle Caesars.

Get your facts straight next time BEFORE you post.

Fuckin' moron.

Do you apply the same epic knowledge of facts to your sports betting?

Dominos? :lol:

Little Caesers or Dominos - they both suck.  They are cheap and promote a lot though.  The best chain pizza on that side of the state is Jets.

I wont pretend to know much about the guy himself and i try not to get too wrapped into pro athlete/entertainers/celeb deaths where u see people acting like they lost a kid or family member. Its certainly sad but in the way any good person losing their life is sad and u feel for the family

As an owner though i do have to say he will be missed and he was great for the game. Having a good owner is such a key and often ignored part of having a great franchise. Tigers may not have won the championship for him and the city but it wasnt ever because he didnt care enough or put enough into the team. He always went for it, which especially in MLB with their payroll structure is an appreciated quality that adds to the competitive balance of the league. So easy to play the "small market" card and stay content making a playoff run once or twice every 10 years without too much fault. But he valued winning over money which was nice

And on the bright side at least he got to see many successful runs with his NHL squad and won a few titles. The sports world will miss him and if its his kids taking over hopefully they keep it going and dont turn into another one of the many messes in sports where kids took over daddies team and completely changed the mindset (for the worse)

Illich may have been the most powerful man in Detroit. He was the only person investing in the city for a long time, until Dan Gilbert. Heck, he brought back the Fox Theater, got Coamerica Field and Little Caesers Arean built, and convinced the Pistons to come back downtown (never should have left). He was worth $5.4 BIL when he died.

He also started the Little Caesers youth hockey program that has sent over 100 players to the NHL.

Excellent posts gents

RIP Mike