Germans Outraged After US Tennis Association Plays "Nazi Anthem"

Cop

Germany responded with outrage after the United States Tennis Association made the embarrassing gaffe of playing the Nazi-era version of Germany's national anthem during a Federation Cup tie in Hawaii, Reuters reported. The version played included the first stanza, beginning "Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles," which was used as Nazi propaganda. Germany’s Andrea Petkovic described it as “the worst thing that has ever happened to me.”

The offensive first stanza has been banned in Germany since the end of the Second World War, but was inexplicably sung during the opening ceremony of the quarter final match on Saturday between Alison Riske of the US and Germany’s Andrea Petkovic.

I’ve never felt more disrespected in my whole life, let alone in Fed Cup, and I’ve played Fed Cup for 13 years now and it is the worst thing that has ever happened to me,” Germany's Andrea Petkovic said, adding "it’s 2017 – something like this simply should not happen in the United States."

She also said that "we were left shocked and did not know how to react" saying she considered walking off court before the singles match against Alison Riske. Riske subsequently beat Petkovic.