How exactly does life insurance work?

KingRevolver

They do medical tests on you for sure.  I bought a 20 year policy years ago they send a nurse to your house and do piss and blood tests.

You can get term or a whole life policy.  I have New York Life Term

My friend who sold me the policy told me about another friend who was a customer who took out a policy on his son.  They only did urine and a swab of your mouth at that time.  He qualified for a policy and bought a multimillion dollar policy.  The son was HIV positive at the time but didn't share the info.  He died within a couple years and the Dad collected on the insurance.

I thought the same thing, but she kept saying any two people could get life insurance.

Well, she's wrong. I just checked again to be sure....she probably thinks that because people are always making jokes about taking out life insurance policies on others, but it makes sense that you can't just do it on anyone.

They do medical tests on you for sure. I bought a 20 year policy years ago they send a nurse to your house and do piss and blood tests.

You can get term or a whole life policy. I have New York Life Term

My friend who sold me the policy told me about another friend who was a customer who took out a policy on his son. They only did urine and a swab of your mouth at that time. He qualified for a policy and bought a multimillion dollar policy. The son was HIV positive at the time but didn't share the info. He died within a couple years and the Dad collected on the insurance.

That's cold

Well, she's wrong. I just checked again to be sure....she probably thinks that because people are always making jokes about taking out life insurance policies on others, but it makes sense that you can't just do it on anyone.

Only way would be if the man and woman were business partners and they did business insurance because of the ownership and obligations on a mortgage.  Or, let's say the chick was a "key man" in a business operation and ran a lot of things it might show an insurable interest that way.  

I assume you guys are talking the guy owns the policy on the chick and names himself the beneficiary - controls cash value if any and vice a versa.  

But a guy could very easily buy a life insurance policy on his  life and own it and name the girl a beneficiary.

She could do the same - end of problem.  You just cannot own a life insurance policy on someone else's life without an insurable interest.

You do have to qualify in some regards to buy big amounts.  Document Income - home ownership - for example - someone who makes 20k a year will probably be turned down for a $1,000,000 policy.  

Suicide clauses and a 2 year period of contestability  come into play.  Someone who is convicted of murdering someone could not collect if they were the beneficiary.

The beneficiary designation can be changed by the owner only.