Americans increasingly refused entry to Canada, documents show

plommer

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/03/29/americans-increasingly-refused-entry-to-canada-documents-show.html

According to federal documents, 30,233 Americans were turned away when attempting to enter Canada in 2016. In 2015, 23,052 people were turned back, representing an increase of 31 per cent in one year.

The numbers are all the more striking when compared to 2014, when 7,509 American citizens were refused entry to Canada. The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), which is responsible for border security, would not provide reasons for the increase.

Since the election of U.S. President Donald Trump, Canadians are less frequently turned away at the U.S. border. According to The Canadian Press, the number of Canadians refused entry at American land crossings dropped by 8.5 per cent over the last five months. That means that 6,875 Canadians could not get across the border between October 2016 and February 2017, compared to 7,619 in the same period a year earlier.

What does this mean?

It means that more Americans are getting refused entry at Canadian land border crossings than before.

You can thank the US government for that.

The US made a deal with Canada to share each others police and immigration databases with each others border depts and now that the Canadian border guards have tons of info on US citizens including all arrest records they have been turning away record numbers of Americans seeking to entry into Canada.

Entry into Canada is a privilege for non Canadian citizens.

Wait a minute..... You mean to tell me a country has a right to control who comes into their country and to not let criminals in?

Da Fuck. That's racist.

It's always been this way.

Some people are finding out the hard way. For example a 65 yr old American retiree with a 40 yr old DUI conviction who has visited Canada hundreds of times over the years would now be refused entry to Canada because of the shared database. Thats BS.

Why is it that the system never forgives or forgets something from someones past that may be irrelevant?

For example a theft conviction from 20 years ago with no police contact since that time means the person has changed for the better.

In America you are defined by something you have done in the past, for example "ex-con" or "convicted felon" describe a persons past history - they can NEVER shake those labels.

Why don't we refer to people as "ex-preschoolers" or "ex-high school students" ? How far back do you go?

Saw a related thread across the street today

"Met a Russian last night

Was waiting with me for our load. He told me lots about his country but what made me take notice was how he said it's so hard to get into Canada. He tried for 3 years but finally gave up. He said getting into America is so easy. Guy was really cool. He was from Volgograd."

Saw a related thread across the street today

"Met a Russian last night

Was waiting with me for our load. He told me lots about his country but what made me take notice was how he said it's so hard to get into Canada. He tried for 3 years but finally gave up. He said getting into America is so easy. Guy was really cool. He was from Volgograd."

This is utter nonsense. USA is by far the most difficult Western country to get a Visa too.

Getting into Canada or America can be very difficult, depending on the reason for entry.

For example a 30 yr old single woman from Colombia (or any other 3rd world S American country) would have great difficulty obtaining a visitor visa to enter Canada.  Canada routinely rejects these applications because the potential for such an applicant to overstay is great. Women can come here and get pregnant and then make it much harder to remove them from the country.

I understand and agree with the right for a country to determine who enters, what has always annoyed me with the US border guards is their often horrible attitude and behaviour.I'm not saying Canadian border guards are exempt from lousy attitude/behaviour. The longest undefended border in the world is guarded by people with very shitty attitudes and their treatment of people can be brutal.

Americans without health insurance that are sick will also be turned away at the Canadian border.

Canada doesn't need/want the burden of foreigners on the healthcare system.

I'm fairly certain that a Canadian hospital would never turn away an ill person in an emergency just because they didn't have health coverage. They would likely be allowed to run up a bill.

I'm fairly certain that a Canadian hospital would never turn away an ill person in an emergency just because they didn't have health coverage. They would likely be allowed to run up a bill.

This is what Republicans want poor people to do in the USA, never-mind that if they had access to care in the first place they'd probably not have to show up at the ER get a 50k bill that they won't pay and fuck the rest of us with the cost.

Not nice Billy. Aren't you an American? Grew up in Detroit I thought?

And to be fair, many Americans do stink. Not as bad as Europe though. At least most of us wear deodorant over here.

I don't know for sure but Billy is either dual US/Canadian citizen which is quite common in border cities along the US Canada boundary or a Canadian that spent alot of time in Detroit.

Remember, before 9/11 Canadians didn't even need ID to cross into the USA. A verbal declaration of citizenship was all that was required to satisfy US border guards. Back  prior to 9/11 Detroit and Windsor were more like part of the same city with lots more traffic between the two places. Now its fucked with all the requirements to travel between the two.

Prior to 9/11 I crossed into the US literally hundreds of times between Fort Erie Ontario and Buffalo NY to go eat at a restaurant or to shop or spend a few hours at Buffalo Raceway. The exchange went something like this as I pulled up to the guards booth at Buffalo:

guard: "citizenship"

plommer: "Canadian"

guard: "purpose of your trip today?"

plommer: "just going to the Anchor bar for wings"

guard: "have a nice day"

Canada doesn't need/want the burden of foreigners on the healthcare system.

Hold the fuck up!!!

You mean to tell me you guys get away with this Hitlarian behavior.

I expect any day now we will hear people from around the world telling you that you must accept these people. After all its on the statue of liberty.

I don't know for sure but Billy is either dual US/Canadian citizen which is quite common in border cities along the US Canada boundary or a Canadian that spent alot of time in Detroit.

Remember, before 9/11 Canadians didn't even need ID to cross into the USA. A verbal declaration of citizenship was all that was required to satisfy US border guards. Back prior to 9/11 Detroit and Windsor were more like part of the same city with lots more traffic between the two places. Now its fucked with all the requirements to travel between the two.

Prior to 9/11 I crossed into the US literally hundreds of times between Fort Erie Ontario and Buffalo NY to go eat at a restaurant or to shop or spend a few hours at Buffalo Raceway. The exchange went something like this as I pulled up to the guards booth at Buffalo:

Yup. I remember.

I've crossed the border at Niagra Falls many times as my best friend lives in Buffalo. It was answer a couple of simple questions and you were on your way. No passport needed.

Yup. I remember.

I've crossed the border at Niagra Falls many times as my best friend lives in Buffalo. It was answer a couple of simple questions and you were on your way. No passport needed.

Those days are long gone.

Now US border guards seem to have contempt for the people trying to enter as visitors.

They act like cunts in the name of "protecting America". They are suspicious always thinking people are entering the US to take an Americans job by working illegally.  Lol. moving to the USA is a downgrade in standard of living for the average Canuck, this ain't fukkin Honduras or Guatemala.

Remember, before 9/11 Canadians didn't even need ID to cross into the USA. A verbal declaration of citizenship was all that was required to satisfy US border guards. Back  prior to 9/11 Detroit and Windsor were more like part of the same city with lots more traffic between the two places. Now its fucked with all the requirements to travel between the two.

Dual/renounced

Interesting development.

Between 1965 and 1995 or so, I crossed into Canada many times, mostly for ski trips either at Whistler or heliskiing, mostly at Blaine and Sumas in Washington state.

The Canadian Border guards were always nice and efficient, never had to wait. The Americans always seemed to want to give everyone a tough time, on a Sunday evening, with long lines, it always seemed to take over an hour to cross back into the US at Blaine.

The one unusual crossing I had was hiking into Canada on the Pacific Crest Trail in the middle of the North Cascades mountain range. No border guards at all ... LOL

No border guards at all ... LOL

There are countless places to cross illegally from one country to the other if one so desired.

places like this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/26303+0+Ave,+Aldergrove,+BC+V4W+2J1/@49.0023247,-122.4673283,3a,34.1y,93.02h,79.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sllMxyE6JdvQdtUXPy-_Ojw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m8!1m2!3m1!1s0x5485c9c667923759:0xebb06c9dd863c436!3m4!1s0x5485c9c68e5569b5:0x60aac13365d2e856!8m2!3d49.002351!4d-122.5021418!6m1!1e1

road on left is in Canada and next to it is a road in the USA.

Now a Canadian permit is required. Back when I did that part of the PCT, it wasn't illegal, you were just required to check in at Manning Provincial Park.