US Open Talk

maron

Tennis is indeed doing badly here as a sport. Not a sport many kids focus on and it can be expensive to get proper training.

they were talking about that yesterday..tennis is not even a top 10 sport here, while it's usually top 3 in many of the European countries. Plus, like you said, it's an expensive sport...McEnroe was saying they should make equipment cheaper and more accessible.

It is so politically incorrect to rip on Venus

I'm really disappointed in my "Google-ing ability" right now. I want to like to Irina Spirlea saying "She thinks she's the fucking Venus Williams", but I can't find the link anywhere. Either I suck or the internet sucks.

And Gulbis looked awesome today. He played as good of a 3 sets as I've seen on the men's side this week.

Like a couple dogs overnight.

Jerzy Janowitz +150 widely available, there are +160's out there. This line is going south. Totally agree with the move, Anderson has trouble against fellow big men. Has not been in good form. Jerzy is healthy again and has looked solid the last couple tourneys. With the serve of Anderson he is involved in many tiebreaks, yet has not fared well in those tiebreaks the last couple years.

Kontinen / Nieminen +220 (doubles)

They are going up against the fastest rising doubles team Pospisil and Sock. Popsock went on a tear and won wimbledon doubles and just lost a final to the Bryans.

Team Popsock is not healthy however. Pospisil is dealing with a shoulder injury and Sock is dealing with a calf injury that caused him to withdraw from singles play. Both seem well enough to play, but certainly a disadvantage in health. Popsock is also hitting the overvalued point IMO. They've had quite a few matches won on the tiebreaker. I don't think the high price is warranted. Kontinen / Nieminen are a formidable team with a record of 18-5. Like the decent size dog here.

​

Big win today for young American, Nicole Gibbs (21 years old, two-time NCAA champ). She won the first set against 23rd seed Pavlyuchenkova and was serving at both 5-4 and 6-5 in the second set, and then had a match point in the tiebreak but lost it. She got up a break in the 3rd, and then got broken back. Luckily she came right back with another break and turned it on from there to win it 6-3. Based on how the 2nd set went down, I really thought she was in trouble in the 3rd, but responded very well. Time to switch over and watch another young American, Madison Keys.

Bernard Tomic +320 over David Ferrer

I liked the way Tomic played in his opening match, while Ferrer had an interesting opener against a scrub. I don't think Ferrer is completely comfortable with the court at the moment, and the fast pace is going to favor Tomic. Time for Tomic to finally put up or shut up.

Tomic withdraws, Ferrer walks over

women's bracket in shambles

Venus -335 falls to Errani 0-6 6-0 7-6

classic women's tennis. Opposing bagels followed by a third set tiebreak.

2nd seed Halep (-1300) lost to Lucic-Baroni in straight sets.The Croat playing very well. She took a bunch of years off from tennis after revealing that her father abused her. She's now 32.

6th seed Kerber (-280) lost in straight sets to Bencic.

women's bracket in shambles

Venus -335 falls to Errani 0-6 6-0 7-6

classic women's tennis. Opposing bagels followed by a third set tiebreak.

2nd seed Halep (-1300) lost to Lucic-Baroni in straight sets.The Croat playing very well. She took a bunch of years off from tennis after revealing that her father abused her. She's now 32.

6th seed Kerber (-280) lost in straight sets to Bencic.

didnt see this...are you serious that at this stage of her career that Venus is that heavy chalk against anyone in top 50?