most posters here don't have a car

sleepy

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can lease a 45k car for $359 with zero down. Finance that car and you are looking at $849 for 5 years. Trade that in after 3 years and have negative equity.

Leasing is better if you like driving nice new cars

You might want to run the numbers to see what's worse.  Zero equity with higher insurance or negative equity.

You can also get a 0% loan at some places.

You might want to run the numbers to see what's worse. Zero equity with higher insurance or negative equity.

You can also get a 0% loan at some places.

Insurance difference is minimal (10%ish) unless your insurance company makes you put all your cars under lease minimums. Geiko has that policy. I stand firm on leasing being cheaper. I'm only talking about new 40k cars and up.

No doubt about it. There is a reason why they try to push buyers into leasing.

Agree.... they also make commison from the banks if you finance through them.

I bought a used truck over a year ago. I told them I had a business line of credit. 3.25 %. They said we can get you 2.9 save your business line. If I said 4% they would have said 3.75%.

Insurance difference is minimal (10%ish) unless your insurance company makes you put all your cars under lease minimums. Geiko has that policy. I stand firm on leasing being cheaper. I'm only talking about new 40k cars and up.

Not if you're buying in cash.  Comp and collision necessary.

10% is still a significant amount over the course of a lease anyway.

Put 25k miles on a car in a year and tell me how cheap leasing is.  Or take a road trip - but you'd rent a different car instead.  Right?

No doubt about it.  There is a reason why they try to push buyers into leasing. 

Yup, every car I've bought since the 80's(and i only buy new), they've desperately tried to get me to lease. Now if you were going to buy a NEW car every 3 years, yea, then I'd lease, but if you keep cars longer than that, buying will save you big time.

Leasing vs buying is not a one size fits all.  But in many cases, leasing is a rip off.  

For most people, buying a car is the more fiscally responsible thing to do.  Especially if you drive the car a lot.  

Either buy a new car and keep it for 8 years.  Or buy a 2-3 year old car will low miles and keep it 5+ years.  

Leasing vs buying is not a one size fits all.  But in many cases, leasing is a rip off.  

For most people, buying a car is the more fiscally responsible thing to do.  Especially if you drive the car a lot.  

Either buy a new car and keep it for 8 years.  Or buy a 2-3 year old car will low miles and keep it 5+ years.  

Yup, not to mention who only drives 12K, unless if you're an old lady you have to be driving more than that.

Or you live in or around a large city. I drive less than 1k miles a month no problem.

If you drive 10 miles to work, that's 5 k right there, 20 miles is 10K, just to work and back, you are an exception. if you lease and only go over by a couple thousand, you're getting killed.

Guest boatboatboat

I'm glad that people lease cars though. Those are usually the cars I buy after a big chunk of the depreciation is gone. Certified pre-owned.

And I am glad there are people like you who want to take my used things because of that the manufacturer subsidizes my new car because they know they have a waiting buyer for my used car and the dealer sells it to me or in this case lease is it to me for Less because they know they don't have to go to an auction to purchase one because they have somebody waiting who wants my used thing

If you think you are going to go over the 12k miles per year when you buy a lease then buy extra miles.  With Mercedes, if you build the extra miles into your payment you are only paying 13 cents per mile over the 12k.  I generally put 18-20k miles on my leases and buy the extra miles up front.  

This is much cheaper than buying.  Those of you who think it isn't must have never leased and bought a nice car.

You can get a high mileage lease from Mercedes for $499 which will cover 20k miles per year.  This is on a 45k car.  As I stated earlier buying this same car will run you $849/month.  So let's do the real math assuming 20k miles per year on both the lease and purchase.

Lease (3.5 years):

499 x 42 = $20,958

lets add the $599 lease return fee and $25 per month ($1050) in extra insurance.

total $22,607

Purchase (5 year loan):

$849 x 42 months = $35,658

at 20k miles per year your 45k car will be worth about 15k after 3.5 years.  The balance owed will be about 12-15k.  Let's assume best case scenario so you will have 3k in equity in this car.

$35,658 - 3k = $32,658 = cost of ownership.

So the cost of ownership for the lease is $22,607 and the cost of ownership for the purchase is $32,658.  That is a difference of 10k saved by leasing.