Almost set my kitchen on fire...

KingRevolver

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you set the burner to high and forget it?

I remember before when you first got your iron skillet, we talked about searing it quickly with the preheated pan and then finish cooking in oven. Seems like the first time it was a little too done for you, but if using cast iron for the entire cook, that is always the way I do it. You just have to get the temp and timing down to your preference and depending on thickness of the steak. Did you ever try it that way again? 

As often as you do steaks, you'd enjoy one of the Anova sous vide precision cookers. Using that and then sear quickly in the skillet or on the grill is the way to go. It's incredibly easy and you get it to your preferred temp exactly and it cooks evenly. That method also gives you plenty of room for time management and even if a call comes in, you have to step out for something, or you have to take a shit or whatever while it's cooking, it won't overcook in the water bath because it won't get over the temp set on the device. It's only after a couple of hours that the texture would be affected, so it turns out a perfect steak every time. I'm no grill master, so I get much better results with this or the iron skillet oven method. I may do one this weekend. It's been awhile since I've cooked anything really, especially steak, so need to do that now that I'm feeling a little better. 

Waiting to see some Rito and Joey steaks. They picked one up on Prime Day.