East Coast Gardeners....

Dark Raver Camper

How have your tomatoes turned out so far? I reduced the plants from about 20 to 13, this year, however it appears to be just short of a train wreck.

I increased the amount of cherry tomato plants to about 7, and they seem to be coming in well. The regular plants not so much. I talked my neighbor, who does a few, and his sucked as well.

My strip is about 6 yards deep and 25 yards across. I did a massive amount of cucs, since I make pickles and I went through what I made last year before the year ended. I had 8 years plants last year, and 22 this year. I didn't plant them text book sizing apart, however this could crack my 10 dumbest things I've done lifetime. I made 32 jars of pickles so far, have given 7 or more bag fulls away, and have 4 more bags that I have to tackle. It appears the plants are on the downswing, thankfully.

Yellow squash sucked donkey dick. Super market size when I would usually get giants. Zucchini is on par with good size.

Wife wanted spices. I bought 6 Basel plants, which I never do before. One would have sufficed. Anyone have any suggestion for Basel? It smells great when I water it.

Did celery for the first time. 4 out of the 6 look supermarket quality.

16 pepper plants producing well.

Beans, fucking beans, that any moron can grow, struck out. I planted about 20 seeds, and only one came out, and its turning purple. Will pass on eating them if they turn out.

I did a strawberry plant for my daughter. It would have been more interesting to have dug the hole and shit into it to see what came to fruition. Unless you have field of dreams land, pass on strawberries.

Scallions, first time, turned out well.

Corn, which I mainly grow just to use as corn stalk decorations, for Halloween, save $7.50, cuz I'm a sharp polish man, is smaller, as in past years. I have about 20 stalks, and the first seedy part just popped out of one, yesterday. I took the corn kernels from a farm two years ago, and it was mutant type stuff. Last year, mutant for me.

Now this year I bought about 50 shiners, from the bait store. I dug the holes for the plant, put a dead shiner in the holes ( rip shiners, I truly feel bad) put some dirt over the dead fish, and planted th plants.

I'm not sure if you made my area toxic, and some of my plants are down with the sickness, or this growing season sucked in my geographical area.

I did the fish with the cucs, and it is/was like Michael Douglas navigating through the jungle in Romancing the Stone. Of course I did plant 20 something, and not to mislead you, they were on the ground, not growing up a pole or whatever some people do.

Cuz I like to ramble, at times, my apologies! I'm just trying to gauge how any of you fuckers did growing regular tomatoes on the east coast?

Friends tomatoes going crazy. My peppers need more heat. Very disappointing right now. Have a bunch of Thai chillis that won't turn read. Jalepnos doing well. And some hot cherry peppers just turned red but have about 60 that haven't turned. Banana and Hungarian wax doing well though.

Habanero, Anaheim chili, poblano, Serrano, peppadews, cubanelles All haven't turned yet. Being 75 every day hasn't helped

What's a shiner and why did you bury it?

A minnow, like if you were going trout fishing.

A couple people told me it would be enough nutrients for the plants, for the season. I live in Native American country, at least it was a few centeries ago, and the Indians would put dead fish in the ground, to get a good crop. Maybe mumbo jumbo, but I gave it a whirl.

A minnow, like if you were going trout fishing.

A couple people told me it would be enough nutrients for the plants, for the season. I live in Native American country, at least it was a few centeries ago, and the Indians would put dead fish in the ground, to get a good crop. Maybe mumbo jumbo, but I gave it a whirl.

​I was told to bury an egg in the soil then plant.I wasted some good eggs.Heirloom tomatoes are the shit.German Johnsons Cherokee purples so much better than regular tomatoes you can buy for a buck.With that being said most of my tomatoes did ok

​I was told to bury an egg in the soil then plant.I wasted some good eggs.Heirloom tomatoes are the shit.German Johnsons Cherokee purples so much better than regular tomatoes you can buy for a buck.With that being said most of my tomatoes did ok

Thanks for the response! I realized when I told my mom that everyone's tomatoes sucked this year, I only talked to two local people.