Gambling milestones

Gabe

Ive made 6 or 7 bets over $500 and lost every one of them.  Including my only dime wager that obviously crashed and burned as well.

All were football bets and were made in Vegas chasing.  Been probably five years since my last big mistake.  I think Ive finally learned from it.  Every instance I was hammered drunk as well from a full day of drinking.  So that of course played into the stupidity.

These days about $330 is as high as I will go.  Usually do well in that range when I really like a play.  And not betting to chase.  

Guest pocketrockets

what age/year did you make or book your first dime wager?

(Bonus question, did it win)

\what age/year did you first bet {way over your head]

My 1st bet was when I was 21 during the NE pats vs NY giants superbowl... I bet giants ML... almost died during that hail mary pass... bet $100 I think

My first bet over my head... turned $50 into $1500 at full tilt... entered two $2-$4 NLHE tables with $750 on each table, got raped  and threw up after balance was zero, that was in late 2009 I think

Ive made 6 or 7 bets over $500 and lost every one of them. Including my only dime wager that obviously crashed and burned as well.

All were football bets and were made in Vegas chasing. Been probably five years since my last big mistake. I think Ive finally learned from it. Every instance I was hammered drunk as well from a full day of drinking. So that of course played into the stupidity.

These days about $330 is as high as I will go. Usually do well in that range when I really like a play. And not betting to chase.

That is great. Our minds are wired to immediately chase a wager that just lost. You have trained your brain. Good stuff.

Its been probably 6 years since i have bet crazy. Gambling is fun when you make a little money.

Good questions!

I can't remember my first single dime bet. I do remember owing bookies about 2kish, for a weeks worth of bets, late teens, to about 20. Those were the times I thought about suicide.

Not to spice this response up, but during my first cycle of larger bets, I had like a 400 roll, and go it up to about 17k, at Canbet, when Canbet was Aussie run. Almost certain this was around 99. It was a weds night, and I'm out. I called in a bet, by pay phone and bet a dime on the blazers verse some other west coast team. I won the bet. I check my plays and the play isn't there. Panic sets in. I called the next day all worried, and explain myself, and the guy says he believes me. He pauses and says I'm the guy that took the bet. Don't know what he did or didn't do, but they credited my account for the win. I know the next step would have been tapes, and I would have been fine.

After a couple of losses, I started to chase. I made a stand and bet about 7 or 8 k to win 1k on an Aussie football league game ml and a big fav. It won and I cashed out for either 10 or 12k.

I bet way over my head before I was a teen granted it was for baseball cards. When cash was involved, it was 17ish, not super bad, but out of high school a couple g's. Worst feeling ever.

To add one last topic. About 3 or 4 years ago I had a huge roll at wagerweb. It may have taken me 3 years to be paid. It was huge to me, like 50.

I bet about 13k on Nova ml verse setonhall in the first round of the big east tourney to win 2k. They lost by a buzzer beater. I wasn't extremely sick about it cuz I still had a big roll, but what a stupid bet.

First dime bet was 1985 SB SF-3( I believe) over Miami

My first trip to the states as an adult I went to Santa Anita in 1983 fell in love with horse racing plus the area near SA( which is why I live where I do) and was hooked on the track for life

I've never bet over my head( can afford to lose whatever) and have actually won money the last 4 years betting( yes hard to believe)

First dime bet was 1985 SB SF-3( I believe) over Miami

My first trip to the states as an adult I went to Santa Anita in 1983 fell in love with horse racing plus the area near SA( which is why I live where I do) and was hooked on the track for life

I've never bet over my head( can afford to lose whatever) and have actually won money the last 4 years betting( yes hard to believe)

Even a person who has 100 mil could lose it all to gambling. So give yourself more credit.

I only bet dimes when drunk and triggered....always lose when I get them in and play always wins when I don't.

Case and point was just last night....half day at work so I spent the rest drinking and seen Blanda almost hit a $50-10k soccer par and I went nuts and asked 4 different posters to get me down 1k on Phillies and then Angels, both won and I got no action...

Yikes.....didn't answer text

Taxman....answered text at 4am this morning

Boat...told me to fvck off and fund a book sponsor

IAG...Told me she could get me down $500 to win $800 on Phillies and I said it wasn't worth it lol

I was born under a bad sign

My first dime bet was actually more than 2 dimes. My first big sports bet ever.

Flew to Vegas and bet $2450 on the Detroit Red Wings  @ +145 vs Philly in game 2 of the 97 Stanley Cup Finals - June 3, 1997.

Detroit won 4-2.

Since it was 1997 I wasn't betting online and flying to Vegas on a charter from Toronto was cheap - I probably paid ~$300 round trip for airfare.

My first dime bet was actually more than 2 dimes. My first big sports bet ever.

Flew to Vegas and bet $2450 on the Detroit Red Wings  @ +145 vs Philly in game 2 of the 97 Stanley Cup Finals - June 3, 1997.

Detroit won 4-2.

Since it was 1997 I wasn't betting online and flying to Vegas on a charter from Toronto was cheap - I probably paid ~$300 round trip for airfare.

I couldn't get to Vegas for game #1 or I would have made alot more money. I loved Detroit in that series soooo much I was going to bet it all on them game #1 and double up on them game #2. Problem was there were no flights available to me in order to make it to Vegas on time for game #1.