NFL Franchises With Slim Prospects Going Into 2017

Mike75

Below are what i consider the slim prospects heading into the 2017 season. These NFL franchises  have many hurdles to face tons of work to do............

Cleveland--The Browns seem to be stuck in a long term rut. Cleveland has only made the postseason one time in the past 17 years. They have only won more than eight games twice during that span. They have had seven head coaches since the millenium. They have not won their division since 1989. The Browns seem to have a lot of draft picks but it remains to be seen if they are able to finally be successful again. The QB position is shaky with the team going through thirty QB since the millenium.  88 wins, 200 losses since millenium with their latest record being 1-15 to end the 2016 season. Prospected to finish last in the AFC North.

L.A. Rams--The Rams have not had a winning season 2003 and a postseason berth since 2004. In the meantime they have been one of the worst teams in the league including a stretch from 2007 through 2011 where they were lucky to win three games a year. They've had six head coaches since the millenium. They have not won their division since 2003. Since 2007 the offense has not ranked better than 24th overall. The QB position is Jared Goff entering year two with a brand new coaching staff. 124 wins,163 losses and 1 tie since millenium with their latest record being 4-12 to end the 2016 season. Prospected to finish third in the NFC West.

Jacksonville--The Jags have only had three winning seasons since the millenium including only two postseason berths with the last being 2007. Since 2011 their record has been 22-74 which is terrible. The team has had five coaches with only Tom Coughlin and Jack Del Rio seeing any kind of success. They have not won their division since 1999. The QB position is basically Blake Bortles in the last year of his deal with the team taking a wait and see approach. 120 wins,168 losses since millenium with their latest record being 3-13 to end the 2016 season. Prospected to finish last in the AFC South.

Buffalo--Last season marked the 17th straight year that the team failed to make the postseason and they have only won more than eight games twice during that span. They recently hired their eighth head coach since the millenium. They have not won their division since 1995. I really like their new head coach Sean McDermott a lot and he was very successful for years as a coordinator in Carolina. The QB position is year to year with Tyrod Taylor the starter for now. 123 wins,165 losses since millenium with their latest record being 7-9 to end the 2016 season. Prospected to finish third in the AFC West.

Washington--The Redskins have been mediocre since the millenium only making the postseason in 2005,2007,2012 and 2015 besides those moments the Skins usually won around five or six games a year. They've had seven head coaches since the millenium. Since 2008 they only made the postseason twice and had a half dozen years with six wins or less. The QB position should've been looking great but owner Dan Snyder is called the worst owner in sports for a reason. The reason its not looking great is instead of signing Kirk Cousins to a deal they gambled giving the franchise tag twice but that option will no longer be available after this year and Cousins could be leaving. 125 wins,162 losses and 1 tie since millenium with their latest record being 8-7-1 to end the 2016 season. Prospected to finish third in the NFC East.

Chicago--The Bears have had ups and downs similar to Washington and only made the postseason once since 2007. They've had four head coaches since the millenium. The Bears are 22-42 in the last four years of play. What is even more embarrassing is their new GM Ryan Pace just signed QB Mike Glennon big money and 99 times out of 100 that makes you the long term starter by default however Pace sent Glennon to host a team function for draft night only to humilate him by trading a shitload of draft picks to move up one spot and draft QB Mitch Trubisky. All this move did was create confusion as well as dysfunction. John Fox is a good head coach BUT unfortunately he isn't a miracle worker.

N.Y. Jets---A member of the media recently made the comment that the roster of the 2017 N.Y. Jets was literally the worst that they have seen in the NFL in the last ten years easily. The team recently had a purge and let go of a lot of vets including Nick Mangold,Brandon Marshall,CJ Spiller,Ryan Fitzpatrick,Darelle Revis,David Harris,Quinton Patton,Calvin Pryor,Eric Decker,etc. Now the only real talent is along the defensive line Muhammad Wilkerson,Sheldon Richardson and Leonard Williams and the secondary should be alright but without sufficient offense the team can't expect the other side of the ball to do everything. The Jets haven't made the postseason in six years and are in real danger of remaining more irrelevant due to no talent at QB. 38 year old Josh McCown isn't the answer.

San Francisco--Dysfunction in the front office is the main reason i put the 49ers here although i have the feeling that if ownership is patient with new head coach Kyle Shanahan he will end up being just as successful as his father once was. The 49ers are an anomaly in that other than a brief three year period of  from 2011-2013 the team has been terrible since 2003. Pretty much the last fifteen years there has been no sustained success. The last two years they've been 5-11 and 2-14.

I'm bullish on Cleveland

I got this feeling they are about to hit on a QB. Will it be Cody Kessler who did pretty good last year all things considered or will it be Deshone Kizer who according to some reports has looked good so far in his first camp. Hue Jackson was a pretty good offensive coordinator and will be working closely with the QB's. I think the TE David Njoku will be really good. With the defense being coached by Gregg Williams he will try and make a sack master out of Myles Garrett and i think Peppers will be good as well on defense. I think they very well could hit 8-8 or close to it.

Guest boatboatboat

John Elway had faith in Osweiler the Houston Texas gave him a bazillion dollars that's pretty too good franchise that when they saw him said yeah we think he can be a franchise guy he is a huge upgrade over anything the Cleveland Browns have had the last decade

John Elway had faith in Osweiler the Houston Texas gave him a bazillion dollars that's pretty too good franchise that when they saw him said yeah we think he can be a franchise guy he is a huge upgrade over anything the Cleveland Browns have had the last decade

Keep in mind Elway offer Osweiler over 20 million dollars to stay in Denver they didn't want to lose him they just got out bid

I agree Osweiler is better than any QB Cleveland has had in years and the QB battle between Osweiler/Kessler/Kizer will be very interesting. To be honest i thought Kessler did a pretty good job last year and he came close in a few games despite having limited talent.

When i went and looked and didn't see Kessler in the top 20 QB's i knew something was up and i found the answer......

To be considered in the statistics a QB must have a minimum 200 pass attempts and Kessler had 195 attempts. 5 more passes and he would've been in the official stats and wouldn't be hidden among official leaders. Kessler was 15th overall among QB's in stats.

With 5 more passes Kessler would've showed up 15th in the NFL in passer rating and get this for the year Russell Wilson was 14th with a 92.6 rating,Kessler would've been 15th at 92.3 and afterward at 16th Andy Dalton at 91.8 and at 17th Alex Smith at 91.2

Kessler had 6TD and 2INT and completed 65 percent of his passes and a 92.3 pass rating which is actually pretty good for a rookie.

Bortles who was 23rd with a 78.8 rating.and after that was Osweiler was 24th in passer rating with a 72.2 pass rating with 15TD and 16INT.

I can't say the purge on the Jets was a bad idea.

The Jets have several really good pieces on defense the main goal is definitely getting a franchise caliber QB. The Jets have had a history of dreadful QB's ever since Namath left.

Todd,O'Brien,Esiason,O'Donnell,Lucas,Testeverde,Pennington,Favre,Sanchez,Smith,Fitzpatrick have all been unsuccessful although Pennington could've been really good had he not battled injuries.

I have an interesting question.....

Favre was Jets QB in 2008 and Vikings QB in 2009 and led them to the NFC title game......

Sanchez was the Jets QB in the 2009 AFC title game and 2010 AFC title game both were losses...........

Does anyone think if Favre stayed with the Jets he could've gotten them a victory in the 2009/2010 AFC Title games?

The Jets have several really good pieces on defense the main goal is definitely getting a franchise caliber QB. The Jets have had a history of dreadful QB's ever since Namath left.

Todd,O'Brien,Esiason,O'Donnell,Lucas,Testeverde,Pennington,Favre,Sanchez,Smith,Fitzpatrick have all been unsuccessful although Pennington could've been really good had he not battled injuries.

I have an interesting question.....

Favre was Jets QB in 2008 and Vikings QB in 2009 and led them to the NFC title game......

Sanchez was the Jets QB in the 2009 AFC title game and 2010 AFC title game both were losses...........

Does anyone think if Favre stayed with the Jets he could've gotten them a victory in the 2009/2010 AFC Title games?

I do... or he would of retired

The Browns, by all appearances, gave Brock Osweiler the starting quarterback assignment for Week One of the preseason as a two-fold test. First, could he get ready to play effectively as the starter on short notice, which any backup quarterback must be able to do?

Second, could he take charge of the starting offense, prompting the locker room to clamor for him to be the guy?

By all appearances, Osweiler failed on both counts.

Though he didn’t say so in those words, Osweiler said enough to allow that conclusion to be drawn.

“I threw some incomplete passes,” Osweiler told reporters. “We weren’t able to get into a rhythm as an offense. Any time you struggle to get into a rhythm early, you are going to have a slow start to the game. That is what you saw tonight. There are no excuses for that. Honestly, that comes onto my shoulders. I have to find a way to spark this offense early, make plays for this offense early.”

As to the incompletions, some of them were the result of Osweiler putting too much oomph on the ball.

“I came to the sideline after I was done playing and after that third series, and [David] Lee, our quarterback coach, said, ‘Boy Brock, you really have some pop on your ball tonight.’ I said, ‘You know, I think you’re right, Coach.’ Honestly, I think it was just a little bit of that preseason game [excitement]. I was excited to be out there again. I was having fun. It is just developing that timing with the receivers. No excuses for it whatsoever. . . . That is unacceptable. I have to give my receiver a chance.”

The problem for Osweiler is that was his chance to deliver. His shot. His moment. Whatever term that gets used, coach Hue Jackson wisely created a scenario aimed at testing Osweiler. And Osweiler didn’t deliver.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/11/osweiler-had-a-shot-likely-blew-it/

Browns rookie quarterback DeShone Kizer authored a 75-yard touchdown drive to lead Cleveland to a 20-14 victory over the New Orleans Saints in the preseason opener for both teams on Thursday night.

Kizer connected with Jordan Payton on a 45-yard touchdowns with 1:52 remaining to give the Browns the lead.

“It’s not too much different than things that we do all the time,” Kizer said after the game. “Basically if they give you an all-out pressure look, here’s one play. Whether it be a run inside or a max-protection pass, here’s the play for an all-out blitz. And here’s a play for if they want to go into any sort of a zone coverage.

“We had a run play dialed up where we knew we were going to be able to grab at least two yards. It’s just up to me to make sure that I just get the look, identify what the defense is and make sure that we’re calling the right play out there and put the ball in the right spot so someone else can go make a play.”

Cleveland’s defense would hold the advantage as Ladell Fleming sacked Saints quarterback Ryan Nassib and forced a fumble that he recovered to seal the win.

But Kizer had impressive moments in his debut with the Browns. He finished the game 11 of 18 for 184 yards and a touchdown.

Kizer led two touchdown drives for Cleveland on the night. A 52-yard pass from Kizer to Richard Mullaney set up a 1-yard touchdown run by Terrence Magee.

Kizer was selected by the Browns in the second round of the this year’s NFL Draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/11/deshone-kizer-leads-two-td-drives-including-game-winner-for-browns/