Hurricane Irma is a beautiful beast

WVU

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where you at WVU? i've heard that no one who isn't near the shore should evacuate, they should simply go to a secure bldg.I still think it misses the coast by 50-75 miles but hits SC probably at perhaps a cat 3.

The surges are what to be concerned with...........the eye of the storm doesn't have to hit the coast directly.

The surges are what to be concerned with...........the eye of the storm doesn't have to hit the coast directly.

The greatest storm surge would only come with a landing(direct hit), if it misses the coast by more than say 30 miles, there would be far less surge, mainly  a still devastating erosive surf. it appears to me it is going slightly further north than expected, if it continues it will make the turn north sooner, possibly missing fla entirely, with the greatest chance being the area north of miami where the coast bows out.

The greatest storm surge would only come with a landing(direct hit), if it misses the coast by more than say 30 miles, there would be far less surge, mainly  a still devastating erosive surf. it appears to me it is going slightly further north than expected, if it continues it will make the turn north sooner, possibly missing fla entirely, with the greatest chance being the area north of miami where the coast bows out.

Good report, keep us updated

Each day the cones have shifted east, 2 or 3 days ago the fl keys were still a probability, now they're pretty much eliminated, as of now the best est is a hit on the coast just north of Miami(which would be really bad), MY professional guess is a very modest shift of perhaps 40-60 miles east, missing the easternmost coast of Fla by  35 miles or so, but the rest of fla by far more, keep in mind it will be speeding up when it turns, by late tonight we should know more.