TGF Red Wine Thread

rdalert447

K&L Jasson. I think theres one nearby you.

I try to drink mostly smaller production stuff and least when I splurge.

Justin, a cheaper alternative with similar profiles to Caymus

Love that fwd knows all the good Bay Area shit. If you have a K&L near you, go.

The one near me (Redwood City) has not only an incredible wine selection , but also one of the best craft beer selections around. The people that work there are also incredibly well versed. My boss is a snobby French men who is from the Boudreaux area of France. Even he was impressed with their knowledge.

I rarely drink red wine anymore due to it giving me indigestion sometimes. I did love and drink a shit ton of it for many years. Will share some good selections if I come across them.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even if I end up not liking any of the wines once I get to try them, it's been very interesting reading about everything. There are a few documentaries on Netflix that were pretty good to watch.

Decanted

Sour Grapes

Somm

Somm-Into the Bottle

All of those were pretty good.

I absolutely LOVED sour grapes. Was so interesting to me that I watched it 2x in a week

I had never heard about it or the story that I recall. It reminded me of the Mafia/Fake Olive Oil story.

Nor had I. It popped up on my recommended list after I watched a few documentaries one weekend.

My dad used to get some special olive oil a case at a time from “a guy” and I always made fun of him. He claimed it was bc most olive oil was fake due to the mafia. I laughed at him of course. Few years ago I saw that 60 minutes thing about it and almost shit myself.

Make sure to pair them with some good foods, jd. I enjoy wine 10x as much with good food pairing than I do just drinking it alone.

Will do. I've been doing lots of reading. Amazon has The Wine Bible for just over a buck for kindle right now. It's like a 1000 page encyclopedia. I collect hardcover books, but pick some like this up on kindle flash deals from time to time. It's worth picking up. I don't have a kindle, but use the app on my laptop to read them.

There's also a book about Rudy, the guy from Sour Grapes. One of the comments said it had some stories that didn't make the documentary. I'm not going to get it though.

I've been reading through several wine forums too. I enjoy learning stuff like this. Will be useful for some of the dinners I fix with folks over. I just never got into wine.

Wife and I had about $100 each budgeted for our Christmas gifts. I got a poverty wino starter case. (Plus 4 I had bought previously). Really our first time trying wines. 2 bottles down tonight and #3 chilling. Only one red tonight. Ill post my list and results after next bottle. Not a bad start, we've liked the first 2.

Christmas gift from the lady.

20171219_215424.jpg

First bottle was Ruffino Chianti 2015. 12.5% alcohol. Had it with wood fired pepperoni pizza. 

I really don't have the palate to do smell and tasting notes like the ones I've read, but this one smelled pretty strong of alcohol, but did not have strong alcohol taste. It tasted pretty smooth, but had a lot of heat/spice in the after taste, in my opinion. I think it was 11.99 and I got a 15% discount on all bottles. It wasn't terrible, but wasn't great to me either. Keep in mind I don't have much to compare to. I probably won't get this one again. 

Second bottle was white wine. Snoqualmie Rielsing. This was very light and crisp and we both thought it was our favorite of the night. Really easy to drink. 10.7% alcohol, but could not taste it at all. Finished this bottle quickly. 10.89 before 15% discount. 

Third bottle was LaMarca Prosseco. 11.3%. We didn't like this and it was least favorite of the three. It was also the most expensive of the night at 15.99 before discount. We finished it anyway, but definitely will stay away from these. 

Red Guitar Sangria on ice now. I think it was like $7. Thought wife might like it. 

3 bottles down and still going between you and your wife???

Yeah. Seem to get 5 glasses out of bottle. I'm doing 3 to her 2. She's about out though. I'm ok. Can tell I've had some, but not drunk. Yanks said I had to finish all bottles or we probably can't be friends anymore.

This sangria is like grape juice. Has to be very low alcohol. Its about what i figured for $7. She likes it though. Seems she had cheap taste, so that's a good thing going forward.

Rest of list to try over the holidays:

Menage a trois Silk - Red Blend

Castano Monastrell Rosado

Chateau Ste. Michelle Merlot

Georges Deboeuf Beaujolias Nouveau

14 Hands Hot to trot Red Blend

Bogle Essential Red Blend

Apothic Red Crush - Blend

Slow Press Cabernet Sauv

Castello del poggio Moscato

Meomi Pinot Noir 

Haraszthy Old Vine Zinfandel

Diseno Old Vine Malbec

Haraszthy Old Vine Zinfandel

Had this with bbq last night. I don't have anything to compare it to as far s Zinfandel, but I liked it better than the Chianti.

Joey is spot on with the red wine and indigestion/heart burn comment. I'm liking the white wines much better so far over the reds. I've still got others to try, so hopefully one of those will stick out for me.