Does anyone know of a good way to save money?

KingRevolver

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so thats a long term investment, holding dividend stocks, over time it'll be good I imagine. You're not gonna get the big gains in a good year though, although considering this years market, it's a contrarion play.

Ameritrade shows my percentage gain as 18.22%. I assume that is since I bought it, which was about 22 months ago (as opposed to one year). ..not sure if that includes the dividends or not. I assume not.

Of course after crypto, that seems miniscule, but those days are gone, and I would be delighted to get 11% if I could.

So you mean in a better market there are better things to bein, but this is more of a safe bet? I want fairly safe.

Ameritrade shows my percentage gain as 18.22%. I assume that is since I bought it, which was about 22 months ago (as opposed to one year). ..not sure if that includes the dividends or not. I assume not.

Of course after crypto, that seems miniscule, but those days are gone, and I would be delighted to get 11% if I could.

So you mean in a better market there are better things to bein, but this is more of a safe bet? I want fairly safe.

Yes, obviously the market is not going to keep going up 25% a year. Looking at the returns on that fund the last 10 years or so

History  2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017

VIG (Price) -26.69 19.57 14.74 6.16 11.65 28.87 10.08 -1.95 11.97 22.22

So last years return of 22% was way better than avg, looks like a conservative fund for the long term.

Yes, obviously the market is not going to keep going up 25% a year. Looking at the returns on that fund the last 10 years or so

History 

VIG (Price)

So last years return of 22% was way better than avg, looks like a conservative fund for the long term.

Well obviously 2017 was a banner year. I’m not trying to compare it to 2008 or other years, but rather other investment vehicles.

Well obviously 2017 was a banner year. I’m not trying to compare it to 2008 or other years, but rather other investment vehicles.

I think it looks fine, I have over half of my funds in the T Rowe Price Capital Appreciation fund.

alendar Year Total Returns
2008 -27.17% 2009 33.05% 2010 14.07% 2011 3.19% 2012 14.70% 2013 22.43% 2014 12.25% 2015 5.42% 2016 8.22% 2017 15.38%

I've got so much to learn.

Good thing about the union is my money is I have a local annuity and pension that I don't really need to think about.

I'll probably end up with 4-5 k a month based on credits for years of service.

My other account..I think it's the annuity has about 120k right now but can't dictate how's it's invested.

But, I'd like to play around with some stuff myself because why the fuck not.

It's an option that when bought (can also be written and sold), it allows the owner of the option to sell an underlying stock, ETF, commodity, etc. at a specific price (strike) prior to the expiration of the option.

Buying a put would essentially be shorting the underlying asset.

Which is probably a good thing because this is Greek to me.

It's an option that when bought (can also be written and sold), it allows the owner of the option to sell an underlying stock, ETF, commodity, etc. at a specific price (strike) prior to the expiration of the option.

Buying a put would essentially be shorting the underlying asset.

Tell him about the short squeeze Monkey. You can lose every dime you have and more if you short a stock at the wrong time.

Yeah.  It can also happen on long margin positions like when GT Advanced Technologies went bankrupt.  Margin calls aren't only limited to short positions.

I looked it up, VW went from 200 to 1000 in a couple days, apparently Porshe had locked up 75 % of the shares and 20% were owned by a german govt agency. So there were only 5% of shares floating and the short position was 15%, for a couple days VW was the most valuable stock in the world. Those poor bastards.