Is a Nissan Murano a Chick Car?

Blue

Ok so I’ve never actually purchased a car before. Is it better to pay cash if you can, or are there incentives to finance? If so, can you just pay it off immediately or are there pre-payment penalties? I was always under the assumption you would get a better price with cash, but from what a few have told me that is not the case....what other considerations are there?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I’ve never actually purchased a car before. Is it better to pay cash if you can, or are there incentives to finance? If so, can you just pay it off immediately or are there pre-payment penalties? I was always under the assumption you would get a better price with cash, but from what a few have told me that is not the case....what other considerations are there?

cash or finance doesn't matter on price.  The dealership will have a check in hand for the entire purchase within 24 hours anyway.  I never heard of a financial incentive better than +100 when buying a car.

cash or finance doesn't matter on price. The dealership will have a check in hand for the entire purchase within 24 hours anyway. I never heard of a financial incentive better than +100 when buying a car.

I always see these things with prices and they assume financing. My friend said the dealerships want to make money on the financing so won’t get as good of price with cash. No idea if true.

I don’t know what interest rates, are but I have a chunk of money sitting in a savings account netting one or 2%, so seems like might make sense to pay cash even though that’s a big chunk of money to get rid of at once. It’s probably the smart thing to do. If I was a great investor, it would be another situation.

I have never brought a new car or leased even though I have a business and can write it of

Always brought a couple years old and paid cash

Only buy imports now and I have owned over a hundred vehicles

Not planning (probably) to buy brand new. Maybe that only applies to new cars?

Knowing that I don’t drive that much but plan to drive more (cross country) what is the most amount of miles I should consider when getting something a few years old?

Knowing that I don’t drive that much but plan to drive more (cross country) what is the most amount of miles I should consider when getting something a few years old?

average in the US is now 13,550 per year.  I would only consider a car still under factory warranty which is usually 36,000

I try and buy under 20 thousand miles

Pay to get it checked out by a mechanic

With delivery vehicles I will go up to 100 thousand miles cause the drivers run the shit out of them anyways

I keep finding these great deals online out of lease places in Florida and Texas. Just seems like it would be a big risk to have it delivered without seeing/driving it.

F that.  Don't do it. 

When you do find the car that you want first make contact with dealership via email.  From there go check out the vehicle and make sure it's what you want.  Don't negotiate price with them at the dealership.  Leave and say you will get back to them after you think it over.

Then email later and negotiate price.  Do not set foot back in the place until you have all the I's dotted and T's crossed with the deal.  Tell them you want all the paperwork ready for when you come in to make the transaction smooth and fast.  When you do return, if they try any monkey business with you tell them to fuck off and leave.  

This is how I buy vehicles and it saves a ton of time and bullshit.  

F that. Don't do it.

When you do find the car that you want first make contact with dealership via email. From there go check out the vehicle and make sure it's what you want. Don't negotiate price with them at the dealership. Leave and say you will get back to them after you think it over.

Then email later and negotiate price. Do not set foot back in the place until you have all the I's dotted and T's crossed with the deal. Tell them you want all the paperwork ready for when you come in to make the transaction smooth and fast. When you do return, if they try any monkey business with you tell them to fuck off and leave.

This is how I buy vehicles and it saves a ton of time and bullshit.

I just know nothing at all about vehicles. I would need to go and look at them because I don’t even know what I want for sure. Haven’t looked at any other than my neighbors Murano. I guess I did look at an Audi Q5 or year or so ago, but I was too scared to test drive it so I just rode with him. LOL

Someone just pick me out something reasonable here..looking for a white SUV crossover type.

https://www.poquetauto.com/

I hate decisions. This place is very reputable I guess.

I just know nothing at all about vehicles. I would need to go and look at them because I don’t even know what I want for sure. Haven’t looked at any other than my neighbors Marano. I guess I did look at an Audi Q5 or year or so ago, but I was too scared to test drive it so I just rode with him. LOL

Well you definitely need to figure out what you want first.

And buying slightly used over new might only save you 2-3 thousand bucks (depending on numerous things of course). If a couple thousand is not that big of a deal to you and you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time it might be better for you to just buy new. Then you don’t have to worry about what you are buying as far as any potential issues.

Well you definitely need to figure out what you want first.

And buying slightly used over new might only save you 2-3 thousand bucks (depending on numerous things of course). If a couple thousand is not that big of a deal to you and you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time it might be better for you to just buy new. Then you don’t have to worry about what you are buying as far as any potential issues.

It was looking like a much higher difference.....like over 10k to me when I was looking? If it was a matter of just a few thousand, yeah I would buy new, but 10-20k difference.,,no....will buy used probably

Thanks for your input btw.

It was looking like a much higher difference.....like over 10k to me when I was looking? If it was a matter of just a few thousand, yeah I would buy new, but 10-20k difference.,,no....will buy used probably

Thanks for your input btw.

Depends on a lot of things. If you buy a Chevy SUV, it could be a difference of 10k. If you buy a Honda Accord (holds strong resale value) it might only be 2k.

Keep in mind the advertised price vs what you can actually pay are two different things. Dont pay attention to the price in ads. Research yourself to find factory invoice price of new vehicles and KBB for used.

I just know nothing at all about vehicles. I would need to go and look at them because I don’t even know what I want for sure. Haven’t looked at any other than my neighbors Murano. I guess I did look at an Audi Q5 or year or so ago, but I was too scared to test drive it so I just rode with him. LOL

Someone just pick me out something reasonable here..looking for a white SUV crossover type. https://www.poquetauto.com/

I hate decisions. This place is very reputable I guess.

I just bought a slightly used 2018 Jeep Cherokee and very happy with it. Find one with a V6 and you'll still get roughly 30 MPG combined. Heated seats and remote starter are nice options for cold weather. Jeep carries a 36K or 3 year warrant (whichever comes first) and buying a certified vehicle gave me an additional 1 year or 12K miles? I went with FWD vs 4X4...its still handles very good in the snow. Happy hunting.

Also, it's best to not trade a vehicle in unless you have to.  You will most likely get fucked out of couple thousand when trading it in vs selling it to a private party.

If you must trade in, make sure to negotiate the price of your trade-in completely separate from the vehicle you are buying.  The dealership will try to confuse you as much as possible and jumble it all together.  Negotiate separately.  First settle on the lowest possible price on car.  Then negotiate how much they will give you towards the trade-in.  

I just bought a slightly used 2018 Jeep Cherokee and very happy with it. Find one with a V6 and you'll still get roughly 30 MPG combined. Heated seats and remote starter are nice options for cold weather. Jeep carries a 36K or 3 year warrant (whichever comes first) and buying a certified vehicle gave me an additional 1 year or 12K miles? I went with FWD vs 4X4...its still handles very good in the snow. Happy hunting.

Thanks Brayden. That’s the problem I’m running Into. All the ones I see you have warranties right about to expire. They must be lease trade-ins....

I have been told definitely get a V6...Not even really sure what that means except have been told by three people I need it. LOL. Definitely want navigation and remote start. Heated seats might be nice, but not necessity.

Also, it's best to not trade a vehicle in unless you have to.  You will most likely get fucked out of couple thousand when trading it in vs selling it to a private party.

If you must trade in, make sure to negotiate the price of your trade-in completely separate from the vehicle you are buying.  The dealership will try to confuse you as much as possible and jumble it all together.  Negotiate separately.  First settle on the lowest possible price on car.  Then negotiate how much they will give you towards the trade-in.

Good advice. Gracias!