Wife wakes me up at 5:30 am --- Burst pucking pipe

ChiTownJoe

Hell no, pipe runs right next to outside wall. 

Keep it 67-70 deg, but it get colder downstairs, normally 10-15 deg cooler. 

So it froze somewhere else and just happened to burst there, or did it freeze at the spot in the pic? I know I dont even turn off the water to my outside valves because I've never had an issue, we got down to -30 real temp.

So it froze somewhere else and just happened to burst there, or did it freeze at the spot in the pic? I know I dont even turn off the water to my outside valves because I've never had an issue, we got down to -30 real temp.

I think that is where it froze. It might have had a slow leak and then just burst. I think it teed around there to go up to kitchen faucet and a toilet. Both weren't getting cold water for 2 days and I had space heaters and heating pad on pipe in kitchen. I kept looking downstairs for water, but didn't see any until it happened overnight.

I think that is where it froze. It might have had a slow leak and then just burst. I think it teed around there to go up to kitchen faucet and a toilet. Both weren't getting cold water for 2 days and I had space heaters and heating pad on pipe in kitchen. I kept looking downstairs for water, but didn't see any until it happened overnight.

That sucks, at least there was no carpeting and drywall, etc.

My brother had that happen last year, it was caused by a mouse that had cleared a path for the cold air to get in, he had quite the ins claim.

I'm wondering if that could be related to what happened to me. I have a deck right in that corner and found some empty nut shells on ceiling drywall.

I normally catch 10 mice in fall, and there was a bunch of mice turds up there. Last fall I found a dead ground squirrel in basement, and I thought the dog let him in (he opens the screen door by himself).

I'm wondering if that could be related to what happened to me. I have a deck right in that corner and found some empty nut shells on ceiling drywall.

I normally catch 10 mice in fall, and there was a bunch of mice turds up there. Last fall I found a dead ground squirrel in basement, and I thought the dog let him in (he opens the screen door by himself).

Could be, in his case the pipe and surrounding area was insulated and fine, but the little mouse cleared a hole maybe an inch wide for cold air to just pour in. most houses have negative pressure when the furnace runs, it'll draw the cold air in perfectly.