WVU

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, mikeman said:

Approx how many KWH does a charge require? Not talking about from zero since I'm sure you dont let it get that low, perhaps from 30% charge. Give me a number and I'll do my local electric costs math.

Looks like it would cost about $4 to go 100 miles on a tesla, roughly 4 cents/mile. with my car at $3.50 gas it close to 10 cents/mile,

image.png.46b11aafccd7f17b29641ac998ead7dc.png

52 minutes ago, FISHHEAD said:

Free to charge here Mike, get to Vegas son. 

Really, I've seen the charging stations at grocery stores trying to look "hip", but you have to pay - I've glanced at them, you swipe your credit card, not sure how it's figured as i assume it's based on how much you charge the car.

2 hours ago, mikeman said:

I was wrong about Tesla stock but i dont think I was wrong about the car. the low priced tesla never came(25K) and electric cars are still not an option for most americans.

I have changed my opinion on Musk somewhat since he's now anti liberal - so while he still might be somewhat crazy at least he's on the right side.

apology accepted, sir.  🤣

2 hours ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

The only problem that I’ve heard about Tesla is the battery and it’s life expectancy.  Aren’t they only good for less than 7-10 years?  Once the battery goes and needs to be replaced your car is basically useless as it’s about 10k+ to replace it and most people don‘t want to pump 10k into an older car, and nobody wants to buy a car that needs a 10k upgrade

Batteries last the life of the car.  However, you will lose mileage per charge.  You might start out getting 330 Miles per charge and after 10 years only get 150.  Still usable, just not as practical.  The batteries are warranted for 100-125k depending on type. and will be replaced free if you lose 30% in that time.  I don't intend to ever replace mine unless free.

1 hour ago, mikeman said:

Approx how many KWH does a charge require? Not talking about from zero since I'm sure you dont let it get that low, perhaps from 30% charge. Give me a number and I'll do my local electric costs math.

it's different depending on Model but I found this:

How many kWh does a Tesla use per month?

From what I've seen, the car appears to average about 160Wh/km, so if you drive 2000km/month you're looking at a consumption of 320kWh/month. If you're going to be charging from a typical home charger, you're going to get a charging efficiency of 80–85%, meaning you'll need 375–400kWh

19 minutes ago, mikeman said:

Really, I've seen the charging stations at grocery stores trying to look "hip", but you have to pay - I've glanced at them, you swipe your credit card, not sure how it's figured as i assume it's based on how much you charge the car.

some are free at grocery stores, but will be a very slow charge.  Many hotels and restaurants are free.  I have only used a free charger a few times.

1 minute ago, FISHHEAD said:

What are the BEST VALUE electric cars in terms of performance/reliability............new and/or used. 

I have only driven Tesla and a Nissan Leaf.  As far as reliability, it's been over 3 years and still operates as new.  Still super fast and still an attractive car.  I would guess the Model 3 is still the best bang for the buck since the competitors are higher priced and do not outperform.

14 minutes ago, WVU said:

Batteries last the life of the car.  However, you will lose mileage per charge.  You might start out getting 330 Miles per charge and after 10 years only get 150.  Still usable, just not as practical.  The batteries are warranted for 100-125k depending on type. and will be replaced free if you lose 30% in that time.  I don't intend to ever replace mine unless free.

Just now, MonkeyF0cker said:

Well, let's do some basic math.

The Tesla battery replacement costs roughly $20k.

If you get 150k miles out of your batteries, that's $0.13/mile.

Are you really saving money or are you just front-running the costs you'd have with a gas vehicle?

you won't find more than a handful of people who have paid 20k for a battery replacement.  Most replacements are free replacements and those who have paid are paying closer to 13k

2 minutes ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

Well, let's do some basic math.

The Tesla battery replacement costs roughly $20k.

If you get 150k miles out of your batteries, that's $0.13/mile.

Are you really saving money or are you just front-running the costs you'd have with a gas vehicle?

using your math and logic the first battery was free so you would be dividing that into 300k miles so your actual cost even at 20k replacement is $.065 per mile