This guy is deciding on contest rulings

timetopay

Today, 02:19 PM

ComptrBob

Member Join Date Apr 30, 2006 Location Lake Tahoe, CA Posts 3,378

[h=2] Re: Do Las Vegas books have to honor all bets or are there cases of voided bets due to a bad line?[/h]

Long ago at JA Nugget in Sparks, I made a bet on a Big West basketball game that had about a 3 hour time change that hadn't been recorded in their computer. The game was already finished when I bet it off the board. It was a very small bet to see what they would do with it. About 20 minutes later, the writer came over and asked if he could get the ticket back since the game had already been played. I acted surprised and said sure (since I was only curious if they would notice). Until the day he left the Nugget, he would always give me a stack of drink tickets whenever I asked for one or two.

Another, more recent time was at JA Nugget as a Leroy's book, during an NFL halftime when a group of clueless bettors would habitually cluster around the several windows to see the lines as the 10:00AM games would go to the half. The 2H of one game, WAS vs DAL, was posted +7 for the team that should have been -7. I remember when the new electronic board flashed it, I whispered to my buddy, "that's the wrong line". Every guy in the group of "clueless" just stood there, no one made a move to bet, as we discussed what size bet would fall under the radar. We didn't want to trigger the approval process and not get a bet down. We both kindly shoved our way past the "clueless" to the windows and bet the +7 for something like $220 each. Both bets cleared and the bad line stayed up for another 5 minutes. Finally it changed from +7 to the -7 and I considered betting the other side to get the middle but that line was correct so I let it ride. The "bad line" bet won and was paid, Leroy's just probably ate the loss. Just FTR the middle did hit ..LOL

Terrible but then the additional parts of the story

"Whispered to my buddy thats the wrong line"

"Discussed what bet size would fall under the radar"

Then the shoving past the clueless guys who probably didnt want to take a shot.

Piece of garbage

well said

people laugh at me for averaging 145.50FP a week from betjam when they were around

i would alert them of mistakes all the time

scotty always gave 25fp per

Guest boatboatboat
Railbird had a post in that same thread that was just as bad as this one.......................

yup and I commented on that some place, I forget where.

Rail basically said he cheats and no one took notice

Lord I wish it were possible to have a forum where cheaters or people looking to take advantage of others were looked down upon and not embraced

yup and I commented on that some place, I forget where.

Rail basically said he cheats and no one took notice

Lord I wish it were possible to have a forum where cheaters or people looking to take advantage of others were looked down upon and not embraced

your dealing with gamblers who play with books where 99% of the books would take advantage of you if they could get away with it and still stay in business. The guys who absolutely will not take shots do not exist.

The whole concept behind 99% of offshores is to take advantage of players that cannot win. Show your competent and generally you are shown the door.

Guest boatboatboat

The whole concept behind 99% of offshores is to take advantage of players that cannot win. Show your competent and generally you are shown the door.

I don't agree at all.

I KNOW I wont win (long term) but don't consider a book taking advantage of me by allowing me to play there. And yes they are ALLOWING me. And if I were to as you say be "competent" and look like I could harm their bottom line, they certainly have the right to no allow me to play there, just as I have the right to not choose them to play with prior to playing there.

No player is forced to play at any book nor is any book forced to allow a certain player.

yes books fold or don't pay out and when that happens its NOT RIGHT, but on the flip side we seldom hear about the things done to books that make this "hobby" difficult for all of us.

Its a 2 way street.

rs

your dealing with gamblers who play with books where 99% of the books would take advantage of you if they could get away with it and still stay in business. The guys who absolutely will not take shots do not exist.

justifying bad behavior because the other side of the table would do the same thing?

i think there are plenty of people who don't and won't take shots, they're called people with a conscience and people that can sleep at night!...

What's your view on Bet Islands?

IMO betting "bad lines" isn't nearly as bad as knowingly betting a game which the results were in. The latter is stealing. No way you could lose.

Correct. This is a gambling forum so it's assumed posters here are better able to recognize when a line is off. Most wouldn't have a clue and the book could have accepted wagers on the other side. They aren't going to try and track down those that wagered on the wrong side to provide a refund.

Guest boatboatboat

Correct. This is a gambling forum so it's assumed posters here are better able to recognize when a line is off. Most wouldn't have a clue and the book could have accepted wagers on the other side. They aren't going to try and track down those that wagered on the wrong side to provide a refund.

Bob said he KNEW the line was off by 14 and made what he felt was the max wager he could make without it triggering a need for mgr approval.

as bad as betting a game that's over............sure I guess not, cuz you still could lose. But if you KNOW a line is off 14 and place a wager.

Well it says a great deal about you