Join COSTCO with one-years FREE membership with CHASE FREEDOM

FISHHEAD

There are savings but not every large package of everything is a deal.

When comparing apples to apples, the same exact brand and product, it's almost always a better deal to buy in bulk.  

Only non bulk place that really can compete in certain categories with a place like Costco is Walmart that Ive seen.  And of course Sam's Club but that's Walmart. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in there doing the math on some ketchup. I choose not to wield a 64oz bottle of Heinz ketchup to save 4 cents.

Call me a snob, idc.

Yeah, a lot of those food type products are just too big.  It would expire before we could finish it off.

90% of what we buy at Costco is non food items and alcohol.  

Musts:

Paper Plates

Laundry Detergent

Fabric Softener

Dish Detergent 

Paper Towels

Toilet Paper

Garbage Bags

Liquor 

Costco has extremely good deals on LED light fixtures

Also when they first bring in something like patio furniture or seasonal crap they can’t be beaten

I almost bought a hot tub last year at Christmas time.  It was $1,999.99.  Normally $3,999.99.  

Couldn't find it for under 4k anywhere else.  Maybe next year I'll pull the trigger.  Would love to have that out on the back patio for music nights.  Would be perfect. 

One perishable thing we do buy is Naked Juice.  

The big bottle of Green Machine is only $5.99.  Great deal and we always finish it off before it expires.

One small glass of that the morning after drinking to start the day.  Always.  

been drinking that daily for 4-5 years. add yogurt, spinach, banana, protein powder, peanut butter (for fat), blueberries.........very good but a few hours later you need real meat 

Yeah, a lot of those food type products are just too big. It would expire before we could finish it off.

90% of what we buy at Costco is non food items and alcohol.

Musts:

Paper Plates

Laundry Detergent

Fabric Softener

Dish Detergent

Paper Towels

Toilet Paper

Garbage Bags

Liquor

I’ll agree the non food items in bulk is where the savings are

I almost bought a hot tub last year at Christmas time.  It was $1,999.99.  Normally $3,999.99.  

Couldn't find it for under 4k anywhere else.  Maybe next year I'll pull the trigger.  Would love to have that out on the back patio for music nights.  Would be perfect.

Unfortunately with deals like that you have to jump on them immediately as I find they seldom have it the next time you go in

Also the Executive Membership for an extra 55 bucks is worth it if you spend a lot

It gives you a rebate of 2% on all purchase up to 1000 dollars

Ok Merle. 

Do you know math, know your prices and then walk through, lets use baked beans as an example, a 15 oz can might cost a buck most places, those places will have maybe two  60 oz cans for $10 - so each giant can has is 4 times the size but 5 times the price, not a good deal, and you're stuck with a huge can you'll prob end up wasting part of it.

Even when the price difference is close, it's seldom actually lower than the sale prices you can get at normal stores, might be a tad cheaper than the reg price, but not the sale prices that you can always get by waiting.

Do you know math, know your prices and then walk through, lets use baked beans as an example, a 15 oz can might cost a buck most places, those places will have maybe two 60 oz cans for $10 - so each giant can has is 4 times the size but 5 times the price, not a good deal, and you're stuck with a huge can you'll prob end up wasting part of it.

Even when the price difference is close, it's seldom actually lower than the sale prices you can get at normal stores, might be a tad cheaper than the reg price, but not the sale prices that you can always get by waiting.

Ok Merle.

You know I'm right, just dont want to admit it. prob 90% of their customers either cant do math or dont really know their prices, they just assume it's bulk so it must be a deal, it's not.

I'll just address this one time Merle.  

You stated the math is not simple.  It is.  It's not hard to figure out price per oz.  Whatever the lower price is, is the better deal. 

If you can get 180 Dixie paper plates at Costco for $14, that's 7.7 cents per plate.  At your local grocery store, you might find 48 plates for $5.  That's 10.4 cents per plate. 

It's math Merle.  And if you use it, you will see that many of these bulk items are a better deal.    

I'll just address this one time Merle.  

You stated the math is not simple.  It is.  It's not hard to figure out price per oz.  Whatever the lower price is, is the better deal. 

If you can get 180 Dixie paper plates at Costco for $14, that's 7.7 cents per plate.  At your local grocery store, you might find 48 plates for $5.  That's 10.4 cents per plate. 

It's math Merle.  And if you use it, you will see that many of these bulk items are a better deal.    

Ok, but you have to know your prices, not the regular prices at the grocery, the sale prices, do you? Trust me, I'm as cheap a guy as you'll find, if sams or costco had good deals and would save me money, I'd be there in a heartbeat, THEY DONT.

Like I said , I've walked around sams for as long as an hour, up and down the aisles, and I seldom find a deal = they'll have 6 cans of spam for $18, must be a deal right, well, not if you know your local store puts it on sale once a month for $2.79.

They do have deals on certain electronics, I bought a couple t-shirts there once, but 90% of the large bulk items they have are higher than you can get elsewhere.

Ok, but you have to know your prices, not the regular prices at the grocery, the sale prices, do you? Trust me, I'm as cheap a guy as you'll find, if sams or costco had good deals and would save me money, I'd be there in a heartbeat, THEY DONT.

Like I said , I've walked around sams for as long as an hour, up and down the aisles, and I seldom find a deal = they'll have 6 cans of spam for $18, must be a deal right, well, not if you know your local store puts it on sale once a month for $2.79.

They do have deals on certain electronics, I bought a couple t-shirts there once, but 90% of the large bulk items they have are higher than you can get elsewhere.

One thing you aren’t considering.. Costco has sale prices too. Every month they put out a small coupon book. Used to have to use the coupons, but not any longer.

One thing you aren’t considering.. Costco has sale prices too. Every month they put out a small coupon book. Used to have to use the coupons, but not any longer.

In truth, any need to go to warehouse clubs evaporated when Aldi came around, they're so much cheaper than all the others it's ridiculous.