Westbrook campaigned for a triple-double last night?

KingRevolver

--OKLAHOMA CITY -- With 2:13 left, Russell Westbrook unlatched his mask and walked to the Thunder bench, sitting on 29 points, nine rebounds and 12 assists. A simple rebound away from the required round number to give him his eighth triple-double of the season, and his sixth in his last eight games.

The Thunder were enjoying an impressive blowout over the young Minnesota Timberwolves, and Westbrook was going to be left to watch the final couple of minutes a single rebound short. That's when he took matters into his own hands. He looked over at the Thunder's official scorekeepers, holding his arm up.

"Tip?" he said, nodding his head. "Tip?"

A quick conference at the scorer's table and right around the time the buzzer sounded on the Thunder's 113-99 win, Westbrook suddenly had his triple-double: 29 points, 10 rebounds and 12 assists. His eighth of the season, sixth in the last eight games, and the first player since Jason Kidd in 2007-08 to have eight or more in a season (Kidd had 13).

The rebound appears to be a tad dubious, an offensive board awarded with 2:35 left where Westbrook went up to tip back a missed 3-point attempt by D.J. Augustin. Westbrook was given a missed shot on it, so everything is on the up and up, but still, hard not to raise an eyebrow.--

not surprising, guy is all about the stats. Of course the guy is going to fill the stat sheets when he goes on a mission all game to do so. He has the ball in his hands 80% of the time on offense so you are going to get a lot of points/assists. He is way more of a stat accumulator than someone who just dominates and gets all the stats within the flow of the game like Lebron or Durant or Anthony Davis

I equate his stats more so to Kevin Love on the Wolves putting up nutty stats all the time

1. This is a rebound, always has been a rebound, and always will be a rebound. As someone who plays a lot of daily fantasy basketball, a tip attempt off a shot is a rebound. Big men pad the shit out of their rebound totals on plays like that - Drummond has had 4 rebounds on one play multiple times because he missed 3 bunnies in a row. You do not need to corral a rebound for it to count.

2. For his usage rate, his turnover rate is poor but not horrendous. When you have the ball in your hands as much as he does, you're going to turn it over. That said, he needs to bring that number down near 6 for it to be OK given his usage rate.

3. Why do people think the Thunder are some great team that Russell is holding back? Did anyone watch the Thunder without Durant and Westbrook this year because they were about as bad as the 76'ers. People that are arguing that he's doing too much don't make a lot of sense, in my opinion. They are a horrible team without Russell dominating the ball when Durant is out.

4. I will ask the question one more time. Who do you anti-Russell guys want with the ball in their hand more? Andre Roberson? Dion Waiters? Come on. He's dominating the ball because he has to.

5. Tripp, just stop. Kevin Love is averaging 17 and 10 - which is down 10 points and 2 rebounds from when he was accumulating stats without another star. With Durant playing, West was still averaging 27/7/7... Kevin Love never, ever, averaged the numbers Westbrook is averaging. Russell also has his team in the playoffs, and they have a winning record with him and without Durant.

Russell for MVP.

1. This is a rebound, always has been a rebound, and always will be a rebound. As someone who plays a lot of daily fantasy basketball, a tip attempt off a shot is a rebound. Big men pad the shit out of their rebound totals on plays like that - Drummond has had 4 rebounds on one play multiple times because he missed 3 bunnies in a row. You do not need to corral a rebound for it to count.

2. For his usage rate, his turnover rate is poor but not horrendous. When you have the ball in your hands as much as he does, you're going to turn it over. That said, he needs to bring that number down near 6 for it to be OK given his usage rate.

3. Why do people think the Thunder are some great team that Russell is holding back? Did anyone watch the Thunder without Durant and Westbrook this year because they were about as bad as the 76'ers. People that are arguing that he's doing too much don't make a lot of sense, in my opinion. They are a horrible team without Russell dominating the ball when Durant is out.

4. I will ask the question one more time. Who do you anti-Russell guys want with the ball in their hand more? Andre Roberson? Dion Waiters? Come on. He's dominating the ball because he has to.

5. Tripp, just stop. Kevin Love is averaging 17 and 10 - which is down 10 points and 2 rebounds from when he was accumulating stats without another star. With Durant playing, West was still averaging 27/7/7... Kevin Love never, ever, averaged the numbers Westbrook is averaging. Russell also has his team in the playoffs, and they have a winning record with him and without Durant.

Russell for MVP.

1) Yes, a tip is considered a rebound if tipped towards the basket. Westbrook did not do this. A tip is not awarded to anyone who touches the ball off the rebound. Westbrook touched the ball but it was not a legitimate shot attempt off a tip. My guess is the NBA reviews the play and takes away the triple double, as they have done before

2) You use his usage rate as an excuse for his turnovers but ignore it when it comes to pumping up his pts/assists

5) I'm not saying Love is as good as Westbrook, he is not. But it's the same premise. He accumulates stats all game by dominating every possession and not making any teammates around him better. Westbrook goes hunting for stats.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure they gave him a shot attempt on that tip. If that's the case, then it is clearly a rebound. If they didn't give him a shot attempt, then it shouldn't be a rebound. That's how I view the play. Also, every athlete cares about their stats - that signifies their production level which helps them get paid. Nothing wrong with wanting your stats.

His usage rate is high, but there have been other players in NBA history with similar usage rates - don't have the time now but maybe later - that didn't come close to this level of production. Regardless of rate, we've never seen a stretch like this in the modern NBA.

Also, I'm glad you have come around on Love. I said the last couple years he was an accumulator and not a producer - many disagreed. I think we all realize he's good but not great by any means.

I am glad he doesn't drive to the basket, not get touched, flop and chuck the ball into the 5th row as much as he use to. You can make an excuse for his play with Durant out but he plays a similar fashion with him in it.

Honesty I'm getting to the point where we all know Westbrook & Durant are both leaving. Lets get that over with, fire the coach and start over. They couldn't win when they had Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Serge all on same team they aren't winning any time soon.

I am glad he doesn't drive to the basket, not get touched, flop and chuck the ball into the 5th row as much as he use to. You can make an excuse for his play with Durant out but he plays a similar fashion with him in it.

Honesty I'm getting to the point where we all know Westbrook & Durant are both leaving. Lets get that over with, fire the coach and start over. They couldn't win when they had Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Serge all on same team they aren't winning any time soon.

:laugh

You have completely lost it.