Big Ten basketball does not produce that many NBA players

yisman

It's interesting. Michigan State has been outstanding since Izzo took over, Bo Ryan and Wisconsin have also done very well, but they're not doing it with much NBA talent.

Here's the Big Ten by school (number of current NBA players):

Michigan 8

Michigan State 6

Illinois 2

Wisconsin 3

Indiana 4

Purdue 3

Penn State 1

Maryland 3

Iowa 1

Ohio State 4

Minnesota 1

37 players total.

That pales in comparison to the ACC and SEC.

The schools loaded with top talent, well represented in the NBA:

Kentucky

UNC

Duke

Kansas

they have somewhere between 15-22 players each, I believe

Coaching wins in college; always has. The best ensemble of coaches in the country is in the Big Ten and it's not really close.

yeah ok

show me the 5 big ten coaches that match up with these from the ACC... well actually they wouldn't match up, they would far exceed them and it wouldn't be close :laugh

coach k - duke

roy williams - unc

jim boeheim - syracuse

tony bennett - virginia

rick pitino - louisville

i guess the conference (ACC) with the 2 highest paid coaches in all of basketball, and with 5 of the top 10 current coaches is overmatched by the big 10 :laugh

yeah ok

show me the 5 big ten coaches that match up with these from the ACC... well actually they wouldn't match up, they would far exceed them and it wouldn't be close :laugh

coach k - duke

roy williams - unc

jim boeheim - syracuse

tony bennett - virginia

rick pitino - louisville

i guess the conference (ACC) with the 2 highest paid coaches in all of basketball, and with 5 of the top 10 current coaches is overmatched by the big 10 :laugh

Yeah, they are. The facts and actual production don't lie. Their tournament records don't lie. If you think Roy Williams belongs on a best coaches in America list I can't help you. Being a great recruiter and having the NC name attached to that isn't a skill or an ability. Roy Williams is aterrible tournament coach.

Belien and Izzo are better than every ACC coach not named Coach K, and K is not nearly as committed or valuable as an actual match-up/gameday coach as he once was; Pitino the only other coach with that you listed that matches up and I'd agree to.

Belien

Izzo

Bo

Matta

Crean

Painter

Turgeon

they also have elite up and coming coaches in my opinion with Collins and Pitino.

Also, why does salary mean anything? 2 of the 5 best coaches of the past decade never made top 25 money; Stevens and Marshall.

Tony Bennett? What has he done in the tournament to warrant his name? Boeheim always an overrated loud mouth.

Coach K - Duke, Best of all time

Roy Williams - UNC, cheat, academic fraud

Jim Boeheim - Syracuse, cheat, academic fraud stripped of 100 wins

Tony Bennett - Virginia, just quit saying his philosophy has ruined the game :scratch

Rick Pitino - Louisville, philaderer and hypocrite.

Izzo is the best of all-time. Part of college athletics is graduating your kids, getting results, and always competing. Coach K has lost as a huge favorite countless times in the tournament; Izzo has won more than he's lost as a dog in the tournament and has only lost 1 game as a favorite in his tournament tenure I believe.

Izzo does more without selling his soul to recruit one and done players while completely tossing morals to the curbside.

yeah

the top coaches are guys doing it without talent-laded rosters. They're just that much better than the other coaches

light.gif

Given their tournament success, and lack of NBA players, I think this is a given.

For some reason Mike has confused coaching and recruiting - they are separate entities in the college game.

Mike, I find it funny that you didn't include Buzz; Buzz is probably a better coach than Boeheim, Bennett and Roy even if he is a traitor. The bottom of the ACC, coaching wise, is absolute garbage too.

Izzo by far and away the best

He does this at Michigan State

Roy Williams is at UNC, which has been cheating academically for years (a bunch of basketball players were in those phony classes) and also has a huge edge in recruiting just from the name and the legacy Dean Smith left.