Your favorite Teddy KGB moment -win 1oz silver

Boatboatboat

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2020 at 12:14 AM, housepicks said:

I’m looking for the best price on 2020 silver eagles MS70. SF, first day.

Grading stuff like that is crazy, every one ever produced is either a 69 or 70, and there are millions. Even graded 140 yr old morgans of common dates are worth marginally better than uncircs/ungraded.

3 minutes ago, housepicks said:

F me 

Those ones you bought are 70's,( but now they're all 70's(almost) because mfg techniques are so good). so that's worth something, and the first day of issue helps as well,  I wouldn't expect 20 yrs from now it'll be worth much more.  I have graded coins(1/2 dollars and dollars) that are 90 - 120 yrs old and they dont really change price, and if I did try to sell them I wouldn't be able to get close to book value. That's the problem, now if you have really rare/key dates those have potential, but those are thousands of $'s.

The problem with all these modern issues is every one ever made is perfect(almost), no one ever scuffs them up, old coins were used in circulation and very few survived in perfect condition.  For anyone wanting to give stuff like silver eagles as gifts(and I have done that), I would buy a regular uncirculated batch for $30 each and put them in the nice plastic holders.

I’ve got some reg 2020 eagles that I put in cases as well. I thought these might be a good buy because they are being made at the SF mint because WPoint mint was shut down for the virus. 

It doesn’t say it on the coin so the only way to have them authenticicated is to have them sent from the mint to a place that grades them.  They are being sold by the mint for a premium and I thought they were cool.

• As you know under normal circumstances Mint State Silver Eagles are minted at the West Point Mint. Due to the virus outbreak the U.S. Mint facility at West Point was closed for a short period in April of this year. Because 2020 is the last full year for the current design of the Silver Eagle the demand for these coins has been incredible.