Anyone have a Generator ready to go?

Ts179

11 hours ago, sleepy said:

Anyone else getting sick of Texans crying about the cold?

It hasn't been above 10 here for the last ten days

Had a streak of about 140 hours where it didn't get above 0

and they have the whole state shut down over 20 degree temperatures

look at what this guy wrote at GLP :laugh

"If only there were some way to generate electricity at your home, maybe with some sort of device that might generate enough electricity to power your house and maybe some space heaters. These magical devices could be a life saver.
Also, I'm very sorry that Texas does not appear to have a working weather service to let people know in advance that sever weather is coming and they might now be able to make it to the store for a few days. Its a shame, because such a system could be a life saver. I'd hate to just have a random blizzard show up and take me off guard on grocery day.
Its a sad sad situation, hopefully the best minds will work on these problems and maybe come up with some sort of solution."

6 minutes ago, ajt said:

Strange how other places much colder and use more wind energy than Texas aren’t having problems.

I think the issue is the ice, up here we get snow that typically doesn't stick to the blades, they had rain that turned to ice,   it froze with added snow on top. Whether the rest of the turbines, gears, etc were properly winterized is another issue.

1 hour ago, mikeman said:

That would likely use more juice than they generate. Great idea.

no it wouldn't.  It would reduce power  only a small percent and only while heating so it would only be on in cold weather.  How much power does your  car's rear window defrosters use?  Not much at all

25 minutes ago, WVU said:

no it wouldn't.  It would reduce power  only a small percent and only while heating so it would only be on in cold weather.  How much power does your  car's rear window defrosters use?  Not much at all

You're in FL right? that explains you being clueless to the energy needed to melt ice in cold temps, a quick google says a rear window defroster used 475 watts(for a  relatively small surface area), a 5 X 3 ft solar panel might produce 3-400 watts at peak capacity(which would never occur in the winter) and instead of defrosting a little 10 inch width 4 ft wide as on a rear window, it would require the whole thing to be heated. Obviously in very cold temps the power needs would be far more.

13 minutes ago, mikeman said:

You're in FL right? that explains you being clueless to the energy needed to melt ice in cold temps, a quick google says a rear window defroster used 475 watts(for a  relatively small surface area), a 5 X 3 ft solar panel might produce 3-400 watts at peak capacity(which would never occur in the winter) and instead of defrosting a little 10 inch width 4 ft wide as on a rear window, it would require the whole thing to be heated. Obviously in very cold temps the power needs would be far more.

Mike is on his game first thing in the morning...

17 minutes ago, WVU said:

Mike hates everything about renewable energy because he has been so wrong about it since the beginning and he is hard headed.  You too, Jimmy?

Renewable is great, albeit unprofitable. 

I'm in oil again. 

They're still pedaling bicycles in China and India and just aspiring to cars in the third world. 

Outside of North America and western Europe, Teslas are a long way off...

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

Renewable is great, albeit unprofitable. 

I'm in oil again. 

They're still pedaling bicycles in China and India and just aspiring to cars in the third world. 

Outside of North America and western Europe, Teslas are a long way off...

Incorrect Jimmy. Tesla is huge in China and are being built there now and when the 25k car comes out late this year it will be a game changer in China and other Asian countries

30 minutes ago, WVU said:

Incorrect Jimmy. Tesla is huge in China and are being built there now and when the 25k car comes out late this year it will be a game changer in China and other Asian countries

Maybe for the emerging middle class in China, but there's 500 million peasants still riding donkeys...

Personally, I'm waiting for a fully autonomous car that I can nap in on the highway.