NFT/opensea collectibles thread

tailsyoulose

I'm gonna start a thread here to share good NFT based projects. Recent ones like bored apes have gone crazy, with top apes now getting offers of close to a million.

There's a learning curve - you'll need to have eth loaded into a metamask wallet, which you'll then connect to a site like opensea (to buy on the secondary market) or the minting sites (if buying at drop). I would not recommend buying at drop - especially if you're new to eth transactions and gas, because transactions can fail leaving you out the gas fee, which are crazy high at drop times. And also because if you buy secondary, you can get one you pick yourself rather than a random one.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right now I see pretty good value in a project called robotos - https://opensea.io/collection/robotos-official

The floor prices are about 0.18 eth, but a handy trick is to find one you like and offer slightly less than the asking amount. So if it's listed at 0.18, make an offer for 0.17. 

That way you save a little by haggling, plus the seller will pay the gas fee, instead of you. Which can often be 20-50 bucks.

The artist is really talented, and these are the first line with extremely smooth motion, rather than pixelation movements. The trait distribution is also pretty well designed, although it could have been slightly better. The attributes themselves are overall very good. Avoid the dresses and sports bras and female looking floor robots - they aren't as sought after.

I think the floor will probably get to .4 eth eventually here, but the ceiling is where the real money will be made with this line. The top end (500-1000) of these will go for big bucks I think.

1 minute ago, redstripe said:

Why do have a feeling this ends like the Beanie Baby frenzy in 1999-2000 

There are so many crypto rich right now and this is their preferred medium of art. The massive gains of crypto have acted as a selection filter, where the richest people are the ones who irrationally HODLd the longest. That same irrationality is part of what drives crypto punk prices so high, for example. Most crypto rich would prefer a punk to an 8000 sq foot mansion.

If you have more to spend, cool cats is a line with a ton of potential.

https://opensea.io/collection/cool-cats-nft

Cats - like apes - are always strong as subjects. And the traits are a little different on this line - only 4 features, but tons and tons of attributes for each. Which means that lots of traits are rare (sub 1%). That's a really good rarity dynamic. They also built their own rating for each, which adds an extra dimension to the existing valuation tools (like rarity tools: https://rarity.tools/cool-cats-nft)

I missed the launch and don't have any of these, but the art is compelling and the community is really strong behind them.

32 minutes ago, redstripe said:

This will not end well 

I know that's what most people's gut reaction is. Because they don't like the idea of it.

But the driver of these prices are young kids who are filthy rich with crypto, and who don't trade or invest like normies. Their idea of what's valuable is totally different from your average person. And like I said, they value digital art as one of the highest status symbols or possessions you can have. Plus, their mentality is so foreign - they just don't care about volatility and have the highest appetite for risk of any trader.

Not all NFT projects are inherently valuable. Most are low effort trash, and it takes a good eye to find what will generate a sustained demand. I'd like to think I'm good at it - and have been very successful so far. Although I've had some misses too (chubbies was a big bust). 

24 minutes ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

How did the Coca-Cola NFT auction go the other day Tails?

I know Coke has millions of fans that will collect anything with that logo on it...

I'd stay away from the corporate stuff, for the most part. Some of them burn bright and fast, but I question the resale value, given that it's so dependent on a community backing it.

The same goes for the ethernity nft lines. They make some 1/1 NFTs that sell for insane prices (Pele, M. Ali, etc) but I doubt they will hold value on the open market. Those buyers are likely getting fleeced imo.

The projects to buy into are the ones with strong communities. That's what takes a project over the top.

A sleeper project that I really like is chainfaces. It's one of the original projects on eth, and the creator has huge clout in nft circles. 

There is a minimalist design aesthetic, similar to artblocks, but they have mostly flown under the radar, except for true nft degens. One criticism I have is that there are numerous duplicates - for instance the 100% symmetric faces are among the most sought after, but many are identical - sometimes there are as many as 5 faces all the same, which is not ideal. 

The creator is now spending more time on this project - he recently updated the metadata making them more searchable on opensea. That will help.

3 hours ago, tailsyoulose said:

I know that's what most people's gut reaction is. Because they don't like the idea of it.

But the driver of these prices are young kids who are filthy rich with crypto, and who don't trade or invest like normies. Their idea of what's valuable is totally different from your average person. And like I said, they value digital art as one of the highest status symbols or possessions you can have. Plus, their mentality is so foreign - they just don't care about volatility and have the highest appetite for risk of any trader.

Not all NFT projects are inherently valuable. Most are low effort trash, and it takes a good eye to find what will generate a sustained demand. I'd like to think I'm good at it - and have been very successful so far. Although I've had some misses too (chubbies was a big bust). 

I wouldn't wanna be holding a bag of NFT's when the music stops.