NFT/opensea collectibles thread

tailsyoulose

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some guy just bought two apes, one for 175 eth and another for 210 eth ($630,000). The latter is the highest ape sale yet. 

Craziest thing is that neither of em would even make my top 100. The one he paid 210 eth for had two sub-1% traits, but other than that it was nothing special. Shit color scheme and composition. Brown fur. 

A couple 300 eth offers on the top gold ones were ignored recently. The next gold ones that sell should go for at least 400 eth. Ceiling is much higher - the Christy's auction next month is gonna send them into orbit. 

Sales of 5m+ just around the corner....

I might be off base here and I apologize to Tails who I respect a lot,  for going off topic but I want to compare the angle of rich kids who blow money...

My son for about 5yrs now has gone on offer up to buy bicycles and he constantly gets a really expensive whole bike and sells just the rims or frame or goose neck or whatever for the price he paid for the whole bike and then sells the rest of the parts ending up with 3-4x the price he paid.

I asked him how this happens and he says they are always a bunch of rich White boys who’s grandma bought them an expensive high end bike that they couldn’t care less about and they just want to dump for a bag of weed...

He buys with his #1 account and sells on a burner account....does really well..

Anyway, this is why I see Tails will make a mint here, has a bunch of rich Asians in their 20’s with more money that they k ow what to do with but throw it away and get stoned 

44 minutes ago, Teddy kgb said:

I would have  run threw a brick wall as a younger fella to have the opportunity to work as an understudy to Tails....my motivation was unreal at one time, now I’m just confused and frustrated by the whole tech thing and just respect the game but want no part of it

Trust me Ted, my whole motivation is to become financially independent so that I can delete all my technological dependence and never engage with society ever again. 

But to get there, we must first flip those bike parts.

6 minutes ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

Are these well-known artists?  Can you just create your own?  And if you do, will you get the bids that these get?

They are being auctioned off at Christie's next month. So - yes I guess that makes it pretty famous. They will go for well over a million each too. Which is a bargain.

You can make your own, yeah. But if you're shit, the market will recognize it. I'm ears deep in this shit by now, and I can spot the talent pretty well.

40 minutes ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

How do you figure?  Not resale value.  I'm talking about using it commercially in publication or some other way.

How would anyone make money with it other than selling it to someone else?

Art generally isn't used to reap royalties or for commercial purposes though. 

How do baseball cards provide commercial value?

13 minutes ago, tailsyoulose said:

Art generally isn't used to reap royalties or for commercial purposes though. 

How do baseball cards provide commercial value?

This isn't art you can hang on a wall though.  And anyone can copy, print, and hang an NFT on their wall if they wanted to.  You don't need the rights in order to do that.  You might actually be able to display it better than the owner of the NFT.

Baseball cards aren't art, but they are often a fad where you can go decades without anyone even wanting to buy them.

If it's just a matter of rarity, well, my dog took a unique shit this afternoon, but that doesn't make it worth anything to anyone else.

I just can't see how NFT art has lasting power - especially at these prices.

8 minutes ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

This isn't art you can hang on a wall though.  And anyone can copy, print, and hang an NFT on their wall if they wanted to.  You don't need the rights in order to do that.  You might actually be able to display it better than the owner of the NFT.

Baseball cards aren't art, but they are often a fad where you can go decades without anyone even wanting to buy them.

If it's just a matter of rarity, well, my dog took a unique shit this afternoon, but that doesn't make it worth anything to anyone else.

I just can't see how NFT art has lasting power - especially at these prices.

Maybe they don't. 

But the argument about saving the picture to your hard drive is very boomer and you're ngmi if you think like that.

I can use my printer at home to crank out a copy of starry night and tape it to the wall, but it doesn't have the same vibe as an original van Gogh.

Or commission someone to do a replica where the only way to tell it's a fake is to forensically analyze it. Just as good as the original?

2 minutes ago, tailsyoulose said:

Maybe they don't. 

But the argument about saving the picture to your hard drive is very boomer and you're ngmi if you think like that.

I can use my printer at home to crank out a copy of starry night and tape it to the wall, but it doesn't have the same vibe as an original van Gogh.

Or commission someone to do a replica where the only way to tell it's a fake is to forensically analyze it. Just as good as the original?

You can differentiate between an authentic Van Gogh and a fake.  The only way you can with an NFT is if someone reads the blockchain.

The original of an NFT, you can never hang on a wall or display it anywhere other than on your devices.  That was the point.

9 minutes ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

You can differentiate between an authentic Van Gogh and a fake.  The only way you can with an NFT is if someone reads the blockchain.

The original of an NFT, you can never hang on a wall or display it anywhere other than on your devices.  That was the point.

Sure, but the Blockchain is about as secure as it gets. If you own something, you own it. 

To your second point, the exact opposite is true. One of the major factors driving uptake is people's identification with the avatar itself. It represents a sense of identity, and people use them as profile pics across all of their socials. It's a community-mebership/identity/status symbol/flex type aspect. And beyond the digital display, you can easily mount the images into digital frames and display them in your home. I'm planning out a massive game room design and my NFTs will be everywhere.

And yes you could display some shit thats not yours. You could also buy a fake Babe Ruth autographed baseball and display it on your mantle. But no self respecting person would do either of those things, for the same reason. I guess there really isn't a way to explain this concept to someone who doesn't grasp it though.

27 minutes ago, tailsyoulose said:

Maybe in a few years. As things are right now, the ultra wealthy wouldn't know how to buy an NFT if their entire portfolio of ETFs depended on it.

Disagree. Hedge funds got into the crypto game early and lots of them are the biggest players in the real life art game as well. I’m sure there are hedge fund managers already finding ways to move big money through nfts. As soon as they can find a way to donate them to a virtual “museum “ or even a real one, you’ll see prices sky rocket. 

I own a bunch of nfts despite the fact I think they’re dumb. Can absolutely see it being a big market but also a market ripe for manipulation and fuckery