A stock you want to be on now

Brock Landers

1 minute ago, WVU said:

It isn’t cheaper to buy gas no matter how many times you say it.  Most drivers charge at home.  You like to use Supercharger rates which are 2-3 x as expensive.  The majority of Tesla drivers only use superchargers while traveling.  95% of the time you charge at home.  In my case I get free charging at work.  I pay to charge maybe 5% of the time.

Ok, give me the math, what is the exact price you pay per KWH and how much is your typical charge? i believe a tesla has about a 300KWH capacity., then give me your range.

My math where I am is it costs 12-13 cents per kwh, so a full charge would cost $35-40, it costs me roughly the same to fill my car but my range is greater. I can drive approx 350-370 miles without riding on fumes, your car prob goes 100 miles fewer.(at the same cost)

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, mikeman said:

Ok, give me the math, what is the exact price you pay per KWH and how much is your typical charge? i believe a tesla has about a 300KWH capacity., then give me your range.

My math where I am is it costs 12-13 cents per kwh, so a full charge would cost $35-40, it costs me roughly the same to fill my car but my range is greater. I can drive approx 350-370 miles without riding on fumes, your car prob goes 100 miles fewer.(at the same cost)

it cost between 2-4$ per day to charge a Tesla at home depending on usage.  We spend about 100$ extra on electrical per month charging the car full every night.  Ive used a supercharger once in 10 months and it was 8$ to get me 50% charge up.

17 minutes ago, Herky said:

it cost between 2-4$ per day to charge a Tesla at home depending on usage.  We spend about 100$ extra on electrical per month charging the car full every night.  Ive used a supercharger once in 10 months and it was 8$ to get me 50% charge up.

I assume you top it off/charge every night, perhaps adding as little as a 15-20% charge right?

I dont like generalities like you just gave because any true comparison requires precision, in any event $100/month is  close to what gas costs.

What is your exact price per KWH? Just your true marginal cost, I'm not talking monthly min charges, etc. I just double checked mine and it's 14 cents, i dont believe my electric rates are high compared to national avgs.

1 hour ago, mikeman said:

Florida rates are now 16 cents per Kwh.  You get 4 miles per kwh so it is essentially 4 cents per mile.  100 miles of charge costs $4.  So unless your car gets 100 mpg you are paying more.

Let's also factor in upkeep.  There is none on a Tesla.  You pay for tires and that's it.  No oil changes, no tranny changes (sit down Kolzig)

Where is there a generality?  I just told you we spend around $100 per month to charge our Tesla. I've had it 10 months. We use around 600Kw per month on avg.  At .15 per kw that is $90.  

If I drive a combustion engine everywhere, we would be spending 300$ plus at $4 per gallon per month plus maintenance costs.  

3 minutes ago, WVU said:

Florida rates are now 16 cents per Kwh.  You get 4 miles per kwh so it is essentially 4 cents per mile.  100 miles of charge costs $4.  So unless your car gets 100 mpg you are paying more.

Let's also factor in upkeep.  There is none on a Tesla.  You pay for tires and that's it.  No oil changes, no tranny changes (sit down Kolzig)

All of our insurance rates are jacked up over these things as well though.  It’s just an unsustainable concept.  You can read about the Ford Lightning owners whining about what a piece of garbage it is and that it doesn’t live up to any of the ranges especially if you’re using a truck for reasons a ton of truck owners use it for (towing is supposedly a disaster), and all kinds of problems.

Not saying gas or nothing, but EV is not the future.  Surely they’ll come up with something better.

20 minutes ago, Herky said:

This is nowhere near close - you have pulled numbers out of your ass

Ok, I found this, I guess the KWH to fully charge is lower. So lets do the math. At 16 cents/kwh it would cost $14.40 to fully charge and that would get you 290 miles - that's almost exactly 5 cents/mile.

My toyota which gets approx 36-37 mpg would cost 10 cents/mile, so at least right now the EV would save 5 cents/mile - so if you drove 15000 miles/yr you would save $750. The gas engine would cost more in maintenance but you would gain over an EV in ins costs.

So the question is is having an EV worth it to save $750 or even a grand/yr considering they cost twice as much?

image.png.c31b2518c9df2de03d46984f745e57b0.png

image.png.a07a28b910fd902da5053a2a431d7fc4.png

36 minutes ago, Herky said:

Where is there a generality?  I just told you we spend around $100 per month to charge our Tesla. I've had it 10 months. We use around 600Kw per month on avg.  At .15 per kw that is $90.  

If I drive a combustion engine everywhere, we would be spending 300$ plus at $4 per gallon per month plus maintenance costs.  

Almost no one spends $300/month for gas, i drive far more than normal and spend less than half that.

Mike it costs 4 cents a mile to run a Tesla.  That's all the data you need.  How much you spend per week/month is irrelevant.  Also as I said insurance is CHEAPER with Teslas than gasoline cars.  Not sure where you get that insurance is more.  Teslas are much safer than ICE cars, thus the insurance is cheaper.

16 minutes ago, WVU said:

Mike it costs 4 cents a mile to run a Tesla.  That's all the data you need.  How much you spend per week/month is irrelevant.  Also as I said insurance is CHEAPER with Teslas than gasoline cars.  Not sure where you get that insurance is more.  Teslas are much safer than ICE cars, thus the insurance is cheaper.

I heard you, and it cost 10 cents/mile to drive, so you might save $750-1K /yr, is that worthwhile when the car costs 20-30K more than a gas car?

How much is your ins?

My renewal for 6 months is below.

image.png.0d7a9536f849bb31091d4caa16f6774f.png

4 minutes ago, mikeman said:

I heard you, and it cost 10 cents/mile to drive, so you might save $750-1K /yr, is that worthwhile when the car costs 20-30K more than a gas car?

How much is your ins?

plug in a Tesla on your insurance app and your quote will likely be less.  

6 minutes ago, mikeman said:

How much is your ins?

it doesn't cost 10 cents a mile to drive.  WTF?

Does your car do 0-60 in 3.1 seconds?  Of course it doesn't.  Only supercars can run that fast.  Tesla is a supercar