Tremendous crypto tax advice/legal loophole

IAG

4 hours ago, IAG said:

Not buying a Barron’s prescription.  What are they saying?  Sell and buy back next day?  This has to be advice for those who got in when bitcoin was up, no?  Otherwise you take the tax hit on the sale. What am I missing?

4 hours ago, WVU said:

Not buying a Barron’s prescription.  What are they saying?  Sell and buy back next day?  This has to be advice for those who got in when bitcoin was up, no?  Otherwise you take the tax hit on the sale. What am I missing?

They are saying that standard stock sale wash rules don’t apply.  If you are down money on crypto, but want to HODL because you believe it will go up eventually, sell and claim the capital loss against any other gains you might have now or in future years (up to max of $3000 per year) and buy back quickly (obviously you hope price doesn’t go up significantly in the day or so you wait.)    

I actually used to sell on NYE kind of with similar thinking if down,  until I learned about wash sale rules…makes sense now you can sell anytime…I was on the right track, but didn’t see big picture that didn’t matter when you sold at loss. Every trade is a taxable event so if you lost but then bought and held thru new year you would be able to offset other capital gains. 

I just went back to read again, and now they want me to pay to read entire article and I’m not doing that either.   Maybe BGS, MM, or Joey can explain better.