Mexican tire shops are the best

KingRevolver

8 minutes ago, KingRevolver said:

Everyone else is closed.  I have a leaky tire.  Guy found a screw in the tire.  Fixing it now.  $10 and boom, outta here!

20221226_111504.jpg

That's a good price, most places around here would charge $25 ish. Although tires plus repairs tires for free - even if you didn't buy it there, however they often tell you they cant repair it and force you to buy a new one.

There's a little  repair shop by me run like a mexican - very cheap and quick - the guy doesn't use computers to estimate labor hours(always inflated) to give prices, he just spits out a number.

1 minute ago, mikeman said:

i depends, a repaired tire is just as good as it was before the nail, then if you put on a new tire it might be mismatched with the tread depth on the others, so now you think you should get 2 or even 4.

No.  A repaired tire is nowhere near as good as it was before a nail went through it.

You get two new tires at least.

7 minutes ago, mikeman said:

The patch they glue on the inside works, they dont re leak in the same spot, your concerns are psychological.

I know exactly what they do.  They put a thin rubber patch on the inside wall of the tire.  

Tires have speed ratings for a reason.  Once that rubber has been penetrated, that speed rating is shot.

4 minutes ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

I know exactly what they do.  They put a small rubber batch on the inside of the tire.  

Tires have speed ratings for a reason.  Once that rubber has been penetrated, that sped rating is shot.

Cmon man, speed rating schmeed rating.  A new tire could be over $100, a repair is cheap or even free.

On the subject of tires what i do is I never rotate tires, I just keep replacing the fronts - I can typically get 45-50K with them on the front, the rears last almost forever(120K+). that way i only pay for 2 tires.

1 minute ago, mikeman said:

Cmon man, speed rating schmeed rating.  A new tire could be over $100 a repair is cheap or even free.

On the subject of tires what i do is I never rotate tires, I just keep replacing the fronts - I can typically get 45-50K with them on the front, the rears last almost forever(120K+). that way i only pay for 2 tires.

So you ride on faulty tires and don’t do simple maintenance to even out treadwear.

Makes sense.

Just now, MonkeyF0cker said:

So you ride on faulty tires and don’t do simple maintenance to even out treadwear.

Makes sense.

No, i always have nice fresh tires on the front, which is where it matters, rotating is a waste of time, you waste an hour or two taking them in every 4-6 months. as far as the repaired tire goes, dont worry about it, it wont last forever. I've been driving for 45 years and have had a handful of flats at most.

9 minutes ago, mikeman said:

No, i always have nice fresh tires on the front, which is where it matters, rotating is a waste of time, you waste an hour or two taking them in every 4-6 months. as far as the repaired tire goes, dont worry about it, it wont last forever. I've been driving for 45 years and have had a handful of flats at most.

It takes you two hours to rotate tires?

It takes me less than 15 minutes.

I have a Denali that I take out to the desert to go shooting.  Which means driving over rocky terrain.  Not putting a 3mm thick patch on a tire and hoping it holds.

I also have a sports car that torques the shit out of tires.

Maybe saving $200 to patch a tire on your grocery-getter works for you.  But not everyone is the same.

2 minutes ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

It takes you two hours to rotate tires?

It takes me less than 15 minutes.

I have a Denali that I take out to the desert to go shooting.  Which means driving over rocky terrain.  Not putting a 3mm thick patch on a tire and hoping it holds.

I also have a sports car that torques the shit out of tires.

Maybe saving $200 to patch a tire on your grocery-getter works for you.  But not everyone is the same.

They balance them too, you typically have to make an appointment - then you show up 15 in early and they may or may not get you in, by the time you get home it's 60-90 min easy. I'm due for new tires on the front in the spring(I'll be at about 50K) - for my corrolla they typically run $60 or so each - with inflation I'll prob have to spring for $80 tires this time around.

5 minutes ago, mikeman said:

They balance them too, you typically have to make an appointment - then you show up 15 in early and they may or may not get you in, by the time you get home it's 60-90 min easy. I'm due for new tires on the front in the spring(I'll be at about 50K) - for my corrolla they typically run $60 or so each - with inflation I'll prob have to spring for $80 tires this time around.

Huh?  Tires are already balanced unless they lost any weights.

You can’t rotate your own tires?

I don’t buy cheap tires either.  I buy quality and don’t have the problems you guys apparently do.

3 minutes ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

Huh?  Tires are already balanced unless they lost any weights.

You can’t rotate your own tires?

I don’t buy cheap tires either.

I buy mine from discount tire - the original fee you pay for mounting, etc covers lifetime rotations and balancing - so yea, if they're going to rotate them they may as well spin them to see if they're balanced.

I dont buy the cheapest tires, those are crap, i buy maybe the 3rd or 4th cheapest that still have good ratings(the A, B. C thing as well as treadwear rating), for my car they prob have 25 to pick from ranging from $40 to $170/tire.

50 minutes ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

No.  A repaired tire is nowhere near as good as it was before a nail went through it.

You get two new tires at least.

Well, yeah, but I think it also depends on how close the patch is to the sidewall.  Thankfully this one was right down the middle.

Having said that, I'm getting new tires in a year, so I'm sure I'll be fine until then.  Still have plenty of thread, but I want to put something a little beefier on the truck.