Lost my dad last night

sleepy

8 minutes ago, sleepy said:

The only frustration I have right now is they won’t let me make any bank transactions until they get the death certificate.

Also funerals are really expensive.

FDB6AEF5-8604-47CA-88F6-E11349F85830.jpeg

My mom was cremated and her funeral was about $8000, we went with the better urn(wood) but selected the plastic box liner, she had a plot next to my dad so it was already being buried.  we saved on newspaper announcements too since my mom wanted no notice - said everyone she knew who wasn't family was dead.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, sleepy said:

The only frustration I have right now is they won’t let me make any bank transactions until they get the death certificate.

I was the executor but we planned ahead and I was also a co-owner of her checking account(tod), so i could sign her checkbook and use that money for expenses, etc - no death certificate needed. You will need to set up a separate estate checking account to handle payments of liabilities as well as distribution of any assets, it's not a big deal, i would suggest you get an estate lawyer to handle all the crap and notices, probate,will etc, it was only a little over 2 grand - there were 3 kids so splitting the cost 3 ways was no biggie.

20 minutes ago, sleepy said:

Yeah he could have been buried at Fort Snelling for free but his final wishes were to be buried in the same cemetery as his 2nd wife.

That's cool but he's still eligible for reimbursement for burial costs. Go to VA.gov and search for the Reimbursement of Burial Expenses form, I can't remember the number.

Complete it and submit the death cert and receipts.

Don't buy a headstone either, the VA will pay for it and place it at the cemetery.

There's another form, Request for Headstone.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

That's cool but he's still eligible for reimbursement for burial costs. Go to VA.gov and search for the Reimbursement of Burial Expenses form, I can't remember the number.

Don't buy a headstone either, the VA will pay for it and place it at the cemetery.

I'll check it out.

He left me some notes to call them once I have the death certificate.

Me and my brother moved all his things out today.

The senior living center is reimbursing us for a prorated portion of his last month.

I was going to wait until the end of the month but by moving out today we get back 3450.

6905 a month

Good.

Do you have his DD-214?

If he kept his life insurance after getting out of the military that's a quick 1-800 call to another VA place in Philadelphia. They actually answer the phone and cut checks fast.

Lemme know if I can help.

You can get his medals replaced if lost, a presidential condolence letter, flag presentation and honor guard at burial and other stuff...

1 hour ago, sleepy said:

Why the fuck is the American legion charging for Military honors? Condolences on your loss sleepy losing a parent especially one you’re close with hurts.

2 minutes ago, mike499 said:

Why the fuck is the American legion charging for Military honors? Condolences on your loss sleepy losing a parent especially one you’re close with hurts.

That's unconscionable. 

You don't need them for an Honor Guard. He's entitled to a minimum of 3 in uniform, flag ceremony and rifle salute. All free.

And nobody needs 10 certificates at $25ish each.

Just now, Jimmy Hoffa said:

That's unconscionable. 

You don't need them for an Honor Guard. He's entitled to a minimum of 3 in uniform, flag ceremony and rifle salute. All free.

And nobody needs 10 certificates at $25ish each.

Sickening the cost of these things they know you’re vulnerable and take advantage of that fact. Not really a believer but a warm ending destination for these people would be nice.

9 hours ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

Actually the funeral home should contact VA on his behalf and they would take it from there.  The family also gets a flag.  

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, PatrickBateman said:

Here's Sleepy worrying about his father's money 24 hours after he died.

One the most classless people on the planet.

Only a true dirtbag would use the death of a mans father to get back at him over a perceived sleight. you should be ashamed of yourself.