EV vehicle or Gas .

redstripe

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just imagine a future charging station along a lonely interstate in the middle of the country? The way it is now a couple cars pull off the interstate and as they pull into the station a car or two pull out - it takes a few min to fill up so there's a rough balance between the in's and outs.

Now imagine it taking 20-25 min or more to "charge up" - perhaps more if you need to wait for a plug, now you have cars pulling in every min but cars do not pull out that fast, they'll be piling up. that'll be a total clusterfuck.

A busy gas station on the highway might get 100 cars/hr filling up - lets say they have 15 pumps who theoretically could fill up 12 cars/hr per pump(180 cars) but they're rarely that busy so they max out at maybe 1/2 capacity.

Now how many EV's could be charged at a charging station with 15 plugs? At max capacity assuming 20 min/charge it could handle 3 cars per plug/hr - that would be 45 cars/hr but in real world it would prob be closer to 35/hr.

So what happens to the other 65 cars/hr that need to fill up? Then you have to factor in that ICE cars routinely travel well into the 300 mile range before filling up - on a long trip I go close to 400 miles. EV's will seldom go that far considering they need a margin of safety. So your avg charging station would have more visits than your avg gas station, perhaps 50% more?

What a disaster.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a good, short video about the EV fantasy, halfway through the key point is made - that in CA if they want to go all electric they would need to double the grid...but there are no plans to double the capacity in the works...because they plan on rationing everything, that is the goal.

https://rumble.com/v3yn7fu-john-stossel-crushes-the-lefts-ev-pipedream-with-inconvenient-facts.html

On 11/15/2023 at 1:23 PM, mikeman said:

A busy gas station on the highway might get 100 cars/hr filling up - lets say they have 15 pumps who theoretically could fill up 12 cars/hr per pump(180 cars) but they're rarely that busy so they max out at maybe 1/2 capacity.

Now how many EV's could be charged at a charging station with 15 plugs? At max capacity assuming 20 min/charge it could handle 3 cars per plug/hr - that would be 45 cars/hr but in real world it would prob be closer to 35/hr.

So what happens to the other 65 cars/hr that need to fill up? Then you have to factor in that ICE cars routinely travel well into the 300 mile range before filling up - on a long trip I go close to 400 miles. EV's will seldom go that far considering they need a margin of safety. So your avg charging station would have more visits than your avg gas station, perhaps 50% more?

What a disaster.

When I go to put air in my tires usually its a 50% rate whether they have a working hose or not. I'm sure these stupid things will be busted at an even higher rate. Bank of 12 will have 4 working chargers at most.

11 minutes ago, sleepy said:

When I go to put air in my tires usually its a 50% rate whether they have a working hose or not. I'm sure these stupid things will be busted at an even higher rate. Bank of 12 will have 4 working chargers at most.

I'm looking forward to the times when anti EV people start to damage the charging stations - I assume it would be easy and quick to bust the prongs or something similar. Civil war between pro and anti EV people would be sweet to watch.

2 hours ago, mikeman said:

I'm looking forward to the times when anti EV people start to damage the charging stations - I assume it would be easy and quick to bust the prongs or something similar. Civil war between pro and anti EV people would be sweet to watch.

Reported