Anyone take statins?

mikeman

I went to the dr today for my checkup/meds renewal and the young female dr said  I should go on statins - crestor because my cholestoral is kinda high and they run some program and it said I have a 16% chance of having a heart attack in the next 10 years.

She's been bugging my about it and I've always turned them down - my cholestorol is 193 - to me that's not high at all.

Anyway I said maybe I'd try it, I know my brother tried them and he had all kinds of muscle aches, etc and went off them, he would walk 2-3 miles and after going on them his legs would ache after 1/2 mile.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Just now, Chi_Archie said:

statins are a scam 

I've always thought that too, I mostly said maybe because I felt a little guilty because she asks if I want a shingles shot - no,  a tetanus shot - no, a colonoscopy - no. She mentioned lifestyle changes like reducing red meat consumption and alcohol and I sorta brushed that off.

So I tossed her a bone, I may try it, I may just not take any since I wont see her again for another year, or I could lie and say I had side effects and stopped.

3 minutes ago, Chi_Archie said:

side effects of statins worse than supposed scam positive effects 

what is HDL/LDL? triglycerides? ect need more info

eat a beet and take a walk

My HDL is good - 51, my triglicerides are usually high but this time it was 134 which is great for me.

The problem is they base their recommendations on all kinds of bullshit I have no control over, like age, being male, taking high blood pressure pills, slightly overweight, faimily history, etc -so no matter what my cholestorol is they would say go on statins. It's a con.

27 minutes ago, Chi_Archie said:

why would you need to leave a message. she can prescribe whatever she wants. you don't have to fill it... or swallow it

I picked up the RX already, at least it didn't cost me a dime. Not sure why, the others cost me a few bucks each.